First world artist problems.

Today I arrived home and immediately built an 8x6 foot frame because I'm out of my goddamn mind, and had on hand just barely enough canvas to stretch on it.

I thought I'd gotten away with being a pretentious little artist by swiftly building a rectangular sail that has more surface area than every room in my apartment combined in the time it takes for me to get off to the hilarity that are Ellen videos...that was until I discovered I had merely half a bucket of gesso left. Being that my inflated ego reinforced this asinine idea I have that I am, without a doubt, a descendent of Jesus, the lacking quantity of gesso in my possession catalyzed no notion of hindrance in my efforts to complete the construction of a large scale canvas before 5 a.m. This is understood because I behold the miraculous ability to extend half a bucket of gesso across 20 more canvases just like this one, clearly. If Jesus could do it, I could cover this 8x6 foot canvas with several layers of gesso no problem.

Alas, miracles do not exist in contemporary times, I am not a descendent of Jesus, and I ran out of gesso. There is still raw canvas that has yet to be covered.

I shall now go cry into my body pillows. I have more than one. I am a body pillow whore.
Comments232
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I had some cupboards. A cyclone broke them.

I had no canvasses at the time, so I gessoed all the square bits off them, and used them to paint on. At least it's an /interesting/ reply, when people ask why my painting is on what a appears to be the inside of a slightly splintered cupboard door ^_^
how do you afford to paint on 8x6 frames and canvas? I have barely enough to buy a 22x28 canvas, let alone a lifesize canvas.
I build them! Loads cheaper, :)

The biggest investment is raw canvas though.
i might have to look into that
Being mostly a digital artist* and generally a person who cannot be arsed to do more than consume sustenance of the simple-to-make kind and let time flow away by guiding it with the countless hours of playing games also of the digital kind, I cannot say I understand all this fuss about this magical liquid which name I have only discovered today, called "Gesso".
That said, your posts make me desire to copy your amazing style of expressing your feelings through text the way you do and hope to achieve your mastery of said communication.

...Yet I fail miserably like a flippin' tard, because I am dumber than a pigeon, and, in turn, make myself look like a creep.

*One who likes to call him in such a name, yet only doodles things which do not require much skill or thought.
Loved your take on this post with this oddly whimsical stylization you've going on in this response, :lol:.

I think the more frustrated I am, the more entertaining it is in the form of haphazard complaints literature. baha. Also, if only I was a digital artist. My day to day life would be decidedly easier. :stare:
I have to do a comic for my final art project but I don't have brush-tip markers (I have a set but I only need gray and black also something tells me I'll run out of them before I'll be even half-through) and going +200km to an other city just for that seems like a waste of money.
Also, too much gesso and the bbs won't punch through the canvas, and those holes are vital.
Now yo yo, whattup yo, time is runnin out
It's for real though, let's connect politic - ditto!
We could trade places, get lifted in the staircases
Word up, peace incarcerated scarfaces!
I find a wonderful way to spread gesso is to water it down slightly and with bigger canvases, canvi? Use a squeegee. I gessoed a 13.5x2.5 canvas that way. It don' tuckered me out.
I've always considered that route, and I have done that before. But I prefer extremely thick layers for each coat, so I go through a hell of a lot of gesso in a mere 3 layers. It is a bit of a drag though.
I just hate when the gesso gets bumpy and rough. I like to get as much on as quickly as possible for a consistent surface, but that would be a fairly unhealthy attitude to have in some cases. xD
I usually just sand the crap out of it to avoid that, :nod: However, imperfections serve as part of an element of my work, so I guess there's that.
I'm so up-tight with my painting. Also haven't done it since I graduated. Lately I haven't been uploading stuff on DA, and have just been doodling what I see, to unlearn the way I make things. It's been so wonderful! Also drawing people in motion.

I'm learning to embrace imperfections in my art the way I do in real life. I'm tryingto streamline the process of living and making.

Someone should turn that into a book. LUL!
8x6? 8 x 6? 8 x 6.

That's at least one chicken worth of blood to cover that.

Wait what's gesso? I'M STARTING TO THINK the chicken guy at the art store lied to me....

WHAT ARE YOU PAINTING ON THAT MONOLITH?
Yes! Yes I am, :C
Holy hell woman, why do you paint so big? :stare:
I have long dreamt of creating artwork that rivals the size of my manhood.
So you really are compensating for something :paranoid:
Alright, now that I am sober...

Primer? Who the fuck uses primer these days? Go Frankenthaler on that canvas. Ludwig stopped using gesso a while ago, and Ludwig doesn't build his own canvases. Ludwig has a guy for that.
No thanks. :B I'm very much comfortable with the labor aspect of my work.
Ludwig is lazy as hell and does not enjoy that aspect. Ludwig also is impatient and does not like to wait for paint to dry. Ludwig takes after Frank Stella when it comes to labor.
Someone was worried about you because you hadn't posted in a bit. They should be happy to see this.