Sexism and Double Standards

Why do women have the choice weather to wear makeup or not but not men? In most cases, except for the rare occurrences of guy-liners, it seems socially unacceptable for men to wear makeup in any form. Why is this? Are people so sexist as to deny men the right to cover a pimple when women have full access to any makeup they wish? Seems so.
Comments210
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I bet nobody knew that KISS wore mascara and eyeliner with their face paint. Yet, it was acceptable.
And truthfully, anyone should be entitled to wear what they want. If they want to feel good by looking good, or cake themselves in 10 pounds of foundation, let them have at it. It's their body.
men look retarded with makeup. you should be thankful
I'm allergic to make up.
I am opposed to men wearing make-up because it inevitably leads to musical crapfests like this: [link]
I swear DA is like a bloody Hive mind at times.
Yeah it's a damn shame.
We should drop this oppression and all wear the same shit, drink the same, work at the same jobs, play with the same things and act the same. /sarcasm
I could call this politically correct bullshit that reigns over us men (and women for sure) to be a pretty good form of oppression.
The world doesn't need anymore effeminate beta males. Same reason why I'm opposed to everything being super masculated for absolutely no apparent reason (Spike TV/MANswers, that type of neanderthal bullshit), I'm opposed to this ridiculous counter-movement that it's cool/acceptable for men to do things women "previously" had exclusivity on.
I swear if someone brings up the Kids Toy isle as an example of the big bad sexism, I'm going to flip my fucking lid.
Oh look. They already did.
Colour me surprised.
face-paint lol
Some guys look hot in makeup :3. Some..........don't. Most don't know how to do it right. And... Most gay guys put way too much on... Oh wait this is starting to sound like girls XD
Blame misogyny for that one. Males are forced to adhere to certain standards because when something is deemed feminine its deem "below" male standards. Men that engage in it are deemed weak and therefore deserve the hatred and disgust they will receive.

So basically the way to destroy that is to destroy sexism towards women by showing you think "feminine" things are equal to "masculine" things and therefore its not deplorable for men to enjoy them.

And yes it is feminine things being seen as weak rather then just gender binary shit, women that enjoy masculine things are seen as strong willed and are given positive traits. Only the most conservative of conservative people see something inherently wrong with women enjoying male associated things but yet very liberal hippy like people still will hate men for enjoying female associated things. Its pretty evident sexism is still leaned way more against women then men. People that deny that are just deluding themselves because they rather believe female oppression is over because it hurts to admit despite all the efforts as a society we have put to move forward were still not fucking there.
Wear what you want.  You're a part of "people".
I wear make up as a form of art on my face!
I've worn makeup to cover up a black eye. It actually worked for a good week. Then I forgot to apply and the jig was up. Lol. Meanwhile, I like makeup just because it helps to make our features a lot more desirable.
I think there is a bigger males rights issues than wearing make up, like, you know, fathers rights?

However, if you want to wear make up, go for it. There are lots of people who do.
Best advice you'll ever get: wear the fuckever you want. End of story.
your a man right? wear your zits like a man!
Well, this is interesting because I'm a girl and I don't wear makeup which is fine. But some people will tell me that I should wear makeup sometimes. Why? Oh wait social standards, norm, etc.
Why do we gals need makeup to look pretty :stare: That's what I ask. But if a dude wants to wear makeup, go for it.
BECAUSE TEH WIMMENZ ALREDY HAV 2 DEAL WIT OPPRESSION OF THE PATRIARCHY!!!!1111!!!
I think that's mostly to do with how things being feminine is seen as bad, being a girl is still seen as bad. For instance, calling someone a girl if they get scared easily.
A girl can be boyish, but the moment a boy wants to do something typically feminine, everybody freaks out. Why? Because femininity is seen as a flaw, a weakness.
Male comedians even wear it [link] :bucktooth:
There are quite a number of brands that do male makeup. That much said, they tend to call it something different. For example, 'flesh-toned pimple cream' is really just a more masculine way of saying 'concealer'. One of my favorite concealers is actually a male product, which was recommended to me by a male.
As for guyliner, I fucking love that stuff. Some really subtle light lining looks incredibly attractive on the right guy- And I think most women would agree.
I do think it's more of an issue of guys making fun of other guys. Generally, girls don't care. Plenty of girls will try to convince their guy friend to let them put makeup on them- Something the guy will typically disagree to out of fear of being ridiculed by the 'boys club'.
Society's kind of obnoxious like that. It's expected that men don't wear makeup and that women do. So when women don't wear makeup, it's a problem, and when men do it's a problem. Nobody wins with these rules. can't do what you want without someone taking issue. The easiest way to deal with it is to do what you want and try not to let other people get to you.
Some guys wear it, and for the rest, just wait. Cosmetic companies are falling all over themselves trying to find ways to sell makeup to men, who are seen as an untapped market.