Closed to new replies
February 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 896

Dead animals and dA rules

:iconsadistskunk:
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
dA removed one of my photos, of a beheaded pigeon, for being "inappropriate".
I don't get it.. I read the rules but it said dead animals were allowed..
It's not abuse if you get a dead animal and dismember it afterwards, is it?
Photos of HUMAN cadavers weren't allowed to be unnecessarily gruesome,
but the rules don't say anything about the state animal cadavers have to be in..

I made a ticket about it, but I haven't gotten a reply. So I put the rest in storage for now..
It's taking quite a while and I kinda just want to put the other photos back in my gallery..
But I'm afraid I might get banned if I do.. =(

Slightly related bonus complaint: I ordered a bunch of dead rodents, but the company is super slow and hasn't told me when they'll deliver them yet.
:stare: I ordered the damn things two weeks ago and they said they'd let me know soon!

Bonus complaint: Ludwig and Puzzledheartbox are bullying me. =(

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconayumispender:
AyumiSpender Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013
*Shrugs*
Maybe dA is like me and really feel uneasy seeing dead animals.
Then again, I would allow dead, decapitated, dismembered, disemboweled humans so... there's that.
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
:shrug: Humans are animals.. I don't mind one more than the other.
Well yeah. Humans are the "smartest dumbasses" of the animals on Earth, but eh...
I more see Animals as innocent and don't really deserve some of the crap they get.
Humans though...
...yeah I'll stop there.
I don't think all humans deserve it either.. I don't really care about most of them, but a lot of them haven't done anything worse than most other animals.
No, not all.
I would maybe say more than half that live on this planet though deserve it.
The others I say I would spare if I could and let them live in peace and harmony while the others I would.... yeah... not good thoughts in my mind.
At least according to "normal" people it's not good thoughts.
Do you deserve to live on this planet? Do I? Who are we to judge?
And how would you judge who'd deserve to live and who wouldn't?
:iconsronivera:
SROnivera Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think dead furries are best furries. But what do I care? Meanwhile, trolling doesn't equate to 'bullying'.
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I was only kidding about Puzzled and Ludwig. They're nice guys.

:iconfurryhuggleplz: Sounds like someone needs a big, soft, furry hug!
:iconbirdshitplz:

:iconhowaboutnoplz:
:icondragonhugplz: You can't escape. Just give in and accept your fate.
I'd rather kill myself than to become a furfag, just saying. Never liked the fandom, never liked the level of idiocy propagated from it, the sick fetishes that are made worse by it, and so on.

And that's just the 'fetish' side of the fandom. The otherside of it all is just plain horrible. The otherkinfags that wear fursuits and demands that we accept them like they're some special and 'original' group or even a 'race' when they (meaning furries) are not of a certain defined sexuality, gender, color, ethnicity, or religion.

In observation, when all of it has been seen from the outside- you'd see pretty much every single furfag make the same damn kind of thing, hybridizing things, sparkle dogging it, acting like autistic morons, mixing fetishes, making fursuits, and bawwwing whenever someone points out errors in their 'artwork'.

What's even worse is that it's bleeding into our culture more and more.

I won't change my views about it. Sure, I'll obviously make friends with artists that may use anthropomorphism in their works, but never with a furfag that doesn't know the meaning of art. While you do know the meaning of art to an extent, I kinda didn't like 'join us' mentality that furries have towards their friends. :P Just about as bad as some of my weeaboo friends.
Haha xD Jesus man, calm down.. All fandoms are fucked up.
I just ignore the parts that I don't like and pick an choose what I do like and don't really associate myself with any specific fandom.
Freaking out about shit like this isn't going to change anything.
Na, I just felt like telling you what I see whenever anything 'furry' pops into the conversation. I'm not freaking out, hell, I've more or less typed that down calmly. Lol. : P
Haha :pat: Good boygirl..
And that's okay. I don't really like furries either.. I like anthro drawings.
But I don't like meeting people in big fursuits that are most likely plushophiles or zoophiles..
(1 Reply)
:iconfullmetal-animator:
Fullmetal-Animator Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Filmographer
You're no Damian Hirst I'm afraid. :B
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
;-) I'm not striving to be. My animal photos are a hobby and I know they'll never be anything more than that. I'm just having fun and sharing the fun with others that like looking at these sorts of things.
:iconhastsmak:
hastsmak Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013   General Artist
I think its proving that you got the piegon and then beheaded it.

A friend had this problem a few years back submitting a photo of a domestic cat eating a bird

I have seen photos of war scenes, mens limbs blown off and that is allowed but not the nature of hunting and eating.

I think the reason is more legal than anything else and doesnt represent DA's ideas of art
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I guess so.. It would be pretty hard to prove that I didn't kill the pigeon in my case.
But a cat eating a bird seems like it'd be allowed.. >_> It's ridiculous that you'd get in trouble for that..
hastsmak Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013   General Artist
It is going back 5-6 years so maybe the rules have changed since then.

I wonder if its okay to take photos of roadkill? maybe you could take a photo before to kind of prove that it was roadkill before you used it.
Maybe if you make meal out of it afterwards that would be okay?
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
:nod: Probably.

It is for as far as I can tell. But the animals I use aren't roadkill.. ^^;
They're all professionally and legally killed by farmers, hunters and breeders.
So I don't think it'd really prove anything if I took a photo before I took them apart.
That's not really proof that I didn't just slit their throats, shot them or broke their necks and THEN took them apart.

Haha. Maybe.. But I'm not gonna eat rats and mice to make it okay. xD
hastsmak Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013   General Artist
You could have a signature of consent from the legal killers?
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hmm, that might work.. But most of them don't really want to associate themselves with my hobbies I think..
They're just like "Take it. Don't tell me what you do with it and don't tell people that I gave it to you."
Most of it happens behind the scenes and isn't something they want the general public to think about..
(E.g. If a breeder has a lot of stillborn animals, animals that die shortly after birth and ones that are put down because they're not good enough..)

But I could try next time. If I tell them it's a legal issue they might want to cooperate and sign something.
And I could keep the receipts for the ones that I buy pre-killed.
:iconwedge-the-hedge:
Wedge-The-Hedge Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
you're a dead animal to me
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
:iconblushplz: Awww, really? You're too kind.
:iconiggybrowsplz:
Dead animals are hot.
:iconhurrhurrplz: Thank you.
:iconfapplz:
:iconcloppingplz:
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013   Traditional Artist
:la: One of my favorite things I've found here is of a dead bird! It's under resources and was plucked and skinned and gutted for the sake of learning anatomy. The dude who put it up likes to do that to dead things they find, I guess. It's a learning experience!

I love telling people about it, partially because it's gross and partially because it's awesome. And about those old-timey drawings of cross sections of pregnant women that were done from women who died in labor, so they could just cut her open. I'm in figure drawing right now, and the little muscle studies we have to do kinda bug me since they're just from other drawings, and they don't have all the angles I want, so I kind of wish I had a cadaver to learn from.

Dead things are awesome.
:la: I know! And taking them apart is even more educational than seeing them being taken apart!
I've convinced a lot of students to come try it once at my house.
Most of them were pleasantly surprised about how well they could handle it and about how much fun it was.

:nod: When I want to make an animation, I always look up photos of skinned and live animals as references.
It just works best and makes it a lot easier.

Yeah.. Art schools use to use real cadavers too. =D
I get that they don't have enough cadavers any more, but it would be very useful if they did..
I know! I hate it that most anatomy books that only have drawn pictures. =(

:nod: They are.
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013   Traditional Artist
I'm not sure I could quite stomach that. At least not at first. I could probably watch it live, though.

In middle school, my science teacher brought in some chicken wings she just got at the grocery store to show us how tendons and muscles work. My group just tore the wing apart because middle schoolers are horrible human beings, but she showed the whole class on her own, too.

Our university just has lots of skeletons, plastic and real, human and non human. (We have a lot of dead birds, actually) All the cadavers are probably used in the medical program. We have a few plaster "muscle men". They still aren't terribly satisfying, but they're helpful.
The other day one of the models was asking why they always just leave the small of the back white when everything else is covered in muscles. :lol: We needed a cadaver!
:nod: I've had people over that just wanted to watch. I slowly made them help me out.
Most of them were pretty okay with that, but one freaked out a bit and didn't want to touch anything.
Afterwards she bragged a lot to her friends that she watched, but she didn't want to come over again. =P

Yeah.. In highschool we had to LOOK AT beetle larva that our teacher brought in and draw them.
But most of the students just crushed them instead.. They failed the class.

That's cool. =) My school didn't have any real skeletons.. But it was a design school, not an art school..
So they were less serious about stuff like that. But still, we should have gotten better drawing classes.. >_>
And you totally do need a cadaver. You should go to the principle and request that they buy one.
I hear China sells quite a lot of them. ;-)
:iconhorrificsensation:
HorrificSensation Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
i used to take pics of dead animals too, i even took a pic of half of a cat, it was most likely killed by a fox. and the other half of it was gone.... O_O;
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Haha, I wonder what was wrong with the half that the fox didn't decide to take along.. =P

=D My rodents finally arrived!
haha idk it was weird XD maybe he was already half full? (lol fail joke)
and nice you have new pets now? :3
=P Foxes usually collect food and don't leave it laying around. Maybe a dog did it..

xD Haha, nah, they're food for my pets.. But they are fun to play with.
hmm maybe..i really dont know lol but whatever got it wasnt playing around XD
and ooo cool :D you feeding them to a snake?
ugg i wish i had an albino corn snake D:
xD Or it WAS playing around and not very hungry.

Nah. Ferrets. =P One of the ferrets is albino though.
lol maybe who knows, but they just ate the pussy of the pussy O_O haha srry couldnt help myself XD

ooo cool! i like ferrets! :3 especially albino ones ^_^ lol there so cute :P
:giggle: Hahaha!

=D They are! And so happy and playful!
I like albinos in general. But I like the other one's looks a lot too. Masks are also adorable.
(1 Reply)
:iconbumsy:
Bumsy Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Well that's lame. I've got a favourites gallery dedicated to dead animals and none of those images have been removed. See for yourself! [link]
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Awww, the kitten is cute. =)
:icont4pew0rm:
T4pew0rm Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
that's messed up.
Seeming how there's a bunch of people on here that make art from dead things. Might as well delete their stuff too.

This one guy posted pictures of his (professionally done) scarification and it got removed because apparently it was "self harm"
Yeah, the rules are a bit vague on some stuff.. I guess it's hard to make up rules that apply to everything..

Was it anklebones? Cause I remember he had a picture of his scarification when he just got it done and it seems to have disappeared. =(
I get that it's hard to draw the line though.. Because some people do their own scarification too..
But home done tattoos are basically "self harm" too and they don't remove those..
:icont4pew0rm:
T4pew0rm Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup. It was anklebones.

When I think of self harm, it's something that's done to feel the pain, with home done tattoos, it can be for the pain, but that can also be the case with professional ones too. I don't think of home done tattoos (generally) as self harm.
A lot of people were pretty freaked out by his photo.. I'm guessing that's the main reason it got removed.

:shrug: I think a lot of people also just do it to damage themselves.. Not just for the pain.
Because you can hurt yourself and feel a lot of pain without causing visible damage, but a lot of people go for stuff that causes permanent marks.
I'm not saying it's bad, but causing permanent marks on yourself by tattooing yourself or by scarification does seem like an alternative form of self-harm to me.
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Funny how much inappropriate sexual stuff is on here but they won't allow one beheaded pigion.
:iconmattsykun:
MattsyKun Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
This. XD
SadistSkunk Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
A half year ago I found out the hard way that inappropriate sexual stuff is dealt with as well..
I saw so much of it that I thought they didn't really keep to their rules.. But they do.
They just don't remove it as quickly as beheaded pigeons apparently. ^^;
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I call it...double standards ;)
Add a Comment: