Closed to new replies
February 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 111

Maths! D:

:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I had a Maths and English assessment to day for a possible job interview ( its a bit crazy ) anyway, English one first, I'm like zoom! Super quick.

Until I hit the Maths one, I wonder if people can get a phobia of Maths, because I was terrified ( yes even shaking ) and the questions were simple, like, how many coins do you have here, how much do you need to make 20. ( they did get harder )

But fuck, I am the WORST person ever, if anyone asks me anything maths related, I usually just refuse and pass it to someone else, so I hate being pressured into it.

I need to practice.

Thing is, I can ( well could, probably not now! ) do Algebra, Trig, Pythagoras, but if you give me the SIMPLE SUMS inside those equations BY THEMSELVES I cannot do it, put it in an Algebra sum, and I can.

Fucking idiot.

Hmph.

Also I've started exercising again, I used to think that the exercises I did was easy, but I redid them and I nearly died. Damn I should quit giving up.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontortellinipen:
TortelliniPen Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
I've always been excellent at English, and while I'm not terrible at math I really start to slip once you get to Calculus.

It seems that those who are good at English are bad at Math, and vice-versa.
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
yeah, I'm pretty average at English, okay at art but maths, I'm laughably bad at.
:iconsemi-surreal:
semi-surreal Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"Average" only at English...? Babe, you ARE English!
Now make us proud with an A+ since you represent the Union Jack and all that.
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Student General Artist
What I know (and actually good at) in maths: Geometry and.. you know, and the ones that uses logic.
I'm okay with the ones that have a plan, you know like algebra, its just a little puzzle :)
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Professional
... You lost me at "math."
semi-surreal Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
What position was the interview for, and did it legitimately require your Math(s) skills to be tested?
Bar work, which I have done before, also I have to do a 3 weeks course to get a change to get the job.
ah...You literally caught me "last minute" on here; it's 3:05am (in Chicago) and I got school at noon (community college computer coarses [hey, that's a lot of alliteration, haha]). Anyway...

Yeah, bartending's a tough job - especially being an attractive young lady around a bunch of drunken men! I hope you know martial arts or have pepper-spray handy!

Maths is necessary, unfortunately. The best advice I could give you is to say that the best mathameticians are highly INTUITIVE (initially) -- not analytical, like most folks assume! They have a "feel" for quantities -- they don't just memorize and blindly apply formuals. So basically, they're "conceptual" in their thinking (or should I say "feeling"?).

I wish you luck; let us know how it goes, OK?

haha, and go see that Discrete (computer-applications) Maths I have under my "Scraps" gallery, haha!
Not allowed pepper spray, its the UK, I have however worked as a bar tender before, never had any problems, I'm a bit of a feminist so I wouldn't accept that behaviour, and yes, I did Judo and Ju Jitsu.

Maths is necessary, but not THAT necessary, I can do sums when I'm not under pressure, but generally if they go YOU MUST BE GOOD AT MATHS, I freak out >:
No pepper spray allowed?! You must have quite the civilized society over there! In the US, we even have the so-called "assault weapons" (simply: semi-auto rifles, that scare the stoopid media).

How about adding one more "J" to your already impressive list: Bruce Lee's "Jeet Kune Do" -- then NOBODY will ever mess with you! A feminist attitude sure helps, too. I hope you don't have a tough life in general....

Yup, employers get crazy with their Maths requirements sometimes; I guess they do that in a rough economy to try to filter out candidates. Go study young lady, the unemployment line is not a fun place to be (I know, I was unemployed for 2.5 years and finally decided to go back to college -- to LEARN something this time around, haha!).
England, we don't have access to weapons. Also when I did work in a pub, I was told if I ever felt slightly uncomfortable they would remove them, I was also best friends and made hot chocolate to the bouncers! :)

Though in the new job ( if I get it ) its going to be more restaurant with access to a bar. So it'll be very relaxed.
I'm pleased to hear to that. I wish you get that relaxing job, that comes with the presumed perk of yummy free meals/snacks all day long.

We'll "plump you up & marry you off" to some wealthy patron at that restaurant, haha. [That's probably not what feminists like to hear -- nor your boyfriend, haha!]
Haha no, I don't want to stop there, I just need A job to get me somewhere.
(1 Reply)
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013   Traditional Artist
You have school on President's Day?
haha, yup - some colleges are open today in Chicago for us adults; only the kids get the day off. Even the city's trash-collectors were working this morning!

Ironic...since Chicago is President Obama's + Hillary Clinton's home town!
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013   Traditional Artist
I got the day off at my uni, but it's also the last day off for the semester.
Yeah, this semester I've only had Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day off -- and that's it -- until Labor Day in (next) September! [minus any possible Summer Session]

As a kid, it seemed we had holidays every like 6 weeks or so...where did all the holidays go?
:iconsteffne:
steffne Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Artist
[link]

I've just been researching into the physical differences of the male and female brain, sadly it looks like it's mostly due to our female genetic programming why we're usually so sucky at math!
Of course some males can have more female brains and female's can have more male brain's too c:
:iconocarinaofchaos56:
OcarinaOfChaos56 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Top of my class in English.
Bottom of my class in Math. ;-;

But yeah, I totally understand how you feel. Although I am more comfortable with Multiplication for some reason.
:iconorange-zeppelin:
Orange-Zeppelin Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I tend to be the same way. I've always been great in my English classes, but Math is where I struggle a bit. In my case though, the simple sums are fine, but anything past Algebra is a mystery. I read somewhere that math hasn't been around long enough for the human brain to be properly "wired" to do it, but I don't recall where I heard that, so that statement may have dubious levels of credibility!
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It's called Math Anxiety.
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I wonder if its a real thing :P
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Yes, apparently. I've heard math professors refer to it.
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I got so frustrated with math I wound up going into therapy for a year over it. ._.
Thats a little dramatic
:iconmemyone:
memyone Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm okay at English, but I would bomb my math test. The bad way, not the good way. I study hard for math, I do, it's just I can't remember anything the next day. I'm horrible at math. I really am. :C
Well I got to the second trial thing! So I must've not done that badly!
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist
I'd be the opposite. The English exam would've taken me a while. I'd probably do okay on the math.
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Never give up on giving up. Giving up is good. Giving only leaves you minus something, adding the up saves what you have left! Giving up is like better than *insert lame "Taking down" pun now*! ...

I give up.
:iconazza9:
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
If I had more RAM in my brain I could be great at math, swear my brain only has like 6 bits... Equations that go past double digits I tend to fail at...
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Ah, good old maths... that's where the jobs are, no?

I was all gung-ho for maths. Then, come GCSE, I made a complete turn and went for English instead.
I did okay in both maths and english, but, I studied, every single damn day. I just hate it! D:
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Basic stuff isn't too bad, but.. yeah, it becomes something like gobbydegook when you get too far deep with it. :no:
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Mental
Abuse
To
Humans
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Yeah, practice is what it comes down to. If you don't use maths in a while, you lose quite an amount of your ability, which has to be relearned.
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013   Traditional Artist
I'm no good at simple math, either. And I aced my stats class.
But I can count cash out, 'cause it's just counting. I'd probably have a harder time doing it on paper.
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Counting cash is easy. I mean, it's something you learn in like kindergarten and never forget because you do it all the darn time.
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013   Traditional Artist
I only learned counting back change in fast food. And I have never used it outside.
Counting cash is just counting cash, but being able to give change for 43 cents without doing any math isn't something you learn in kindergarden. Or I didn't anyway.
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013
It's still an important thing anyways. Even then, a lot of places try to streamline the whole change thing because it's easier to count by fives or twenty fives. And nobody really cares at all about the small coins like pennies, nickels, and dimes just cause you need like a zillion before you can actually buy something.
yeah, I never trust myself so I just avoid it :P
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013   Traditional Artist
Can't really on a job application, though.
:iconjjmyster22:
JJmyster22 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I have absolutely no idea how you feel, so sorry. I love maths, they sincerely make me happy. Hope you did alright :)
Everyone has their own weakness, you'll have your own.
:iconjjmyster22:
JJmyster22 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Oh believe me, I do.
:iconautumnalessence:
AutumnalEssence Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Whenever I have to do assessments at college, I'll get through the English one fairly quick, but everything goes pear-shaped as soon as I have to do maths :X.
Me too!
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I'm terrible at all forms of math..
It sucks hu?
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Yeah, it does.