The Friend Zone

I see so many people nowadays complaining about being "friend-zoned" and it really irks me.
There is no such thing as the friend-zone. Being too good of a friend does not mean someone will not date you. It means if they happen to like you, then you guys will work really well together. The very best relationships come from being good friends first.
But that is IF the person likes you. You can't be friends with someone then when they end up not returning their feelings for you, blame your friendship! Blame that they just happened to not have feelings for you!
No sane person says, "Gosh I sure love spending all my time around someone and talking deeply with them and being around them, but we're just too close, so I better date someone I hardly know". And if someone thinks that then you can bet they are a teenager with no sense.
It literally makes NO sense to me that someone could think that a person turned them down because they are too good of friends.
Why can't someone simply not return your feelings because they don't like you? Why does it have to have a reason? Feelings don't always have rhyme or reason. Its just life, and if your going to be all upset about it at LEAST blame the real reason.

The worse part of the "friend-zone" is that people will try and NOT be friends with someone before they date them to avoid it. Which is sooo stupid. So many relationships fail because once you remove the romantic part of the relationship, they have nothing. They have no similar interests, they don't like doing the same things, they weren't friends underneath it all to support the romance. So many young people are polluting potential future relationships in fear of the "friend-zone", and they don't even realize it.

You can ask most anyone with a long term working relationship, and they will say they were friends first. Good, close friends. Best friends most of the time.
Yes, there are many people who date then become really good friends. But why risk so much more heartbreak just to avoid the "friend-zone"?

TL;DR
The "friend-zone" is stupid and people who actually think its a thing need to rethink how they view things.
Comments227
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I haven't really been "friend-zoned" per se, but I have been "you are a creep that I would never date" zoned.

Granted after years of growing up and trying to better myself physically and mentally, I seem to actually be able to attract women's attention in a positive way as opposed to trying to just get in their pants.
:C I'm saury you think women think you are creepy oar have told you that you are.

But its always good to better ourselves X3 So that's good!
The friend-zone is BS indeed. Just something guys invented to make it feel as if a greater force stops them from being in a relationship with the girl because they're such nice guys- the idea of the friend-zone. While she's in fact not interested in him at all, because he's either unattractive/a douche/incompatible or all of the above. :shrug:
The concept of friendzoning is retarded. :nod:
I agree with you, and I've been trying to point this out to several people I've met.
Some people are too thick headed to listen to reason, but good luck getting them to understand!
yeah I've noticed that myself, nothing you can do but sit back and watch them suffer.

:popcorn:
Also: I must be the internet's uber mega bitch from hell, I friend zone all the men, being a lesbian.
No, haven't you listened to the men on the internet?
You aren't a lesbian, you just haven't found the right man yet.
Oh yeah, of course.

I actually had one of my forum mates (different)forum tell me that... I wanted to punch him in the face.
Sigh, some people...
And "nice guys" are just spineless douchewaffles.
You took the words right out of my mouth, good chap. :iconbravoplz:
I never really knew much about this 'friend zone' thing aside from looking up its definition, but you made very good points on why it's such a ridiculous term. I do think it's unfair to blame the other person for not returning your feelings or your own friendship for 'getting in the way', especially if like you mentioned, the person only starts this friendship in hope for a future relationship.
When I was a teenager we never heard of the friendzone, its a new term I suppose or my highschool was really behind.
Anyway its so stupid and as I hear more of it it just makes me so mad XC
Its quite a plague on this generations relationships I'd say.
I came here expecting the post to be about someone bitching about being freind-zoned
this was a really good surprise and I give this post one giant thumbs up for being 100 % true
I always thought this was a stupid term. :/ Sure, it's a heartbreaker when you like your best friend or something and that don't like you that way, but saying you got friend zoned doesn't really make any sense...
Exactly!
D: People nowadays just need something else to blame I suppose.
It sure seems like it. :noes: