Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

general dissatisfaction due to lack of initiative

:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Filmographer
There are plenty of things that i could be doing that would benefit me so much more in the long run instead of spending hours fucking around on the internet. In terms of standard of living, i got lucky; came from Venezuela, a country known for its murders and political and social instability, as well as its friendly neighborhood drug cartel. Managed to immigrate to the U.S, where i'm now majoring in Animation/Film. I have so much free time, plenty of resources, and loads of opportunities to get my head in the game.

The problem; I'm in a rut. I've been drawing less than usual, and general productivity has gone way down. It's been like this for several months now, and i'm starting to get worried if i'll ever get out of this mindset.

I know i should be using this opportunity to actually get things done and use the resources given to me.

This is a complaint about a circumstance that's my own damn fault. It's my fault that my pseudo-epiphanies happen at night, where i promise i'll finally start working out, finally draw, or finally animate tomorrow. It's my fault when i finally fall asleep, i forget my promise to myself. It's my fault when i wake up in the morning, think about how hard it'll be to start doing something, and opt to start tomorrow, rationalizing that the perfect opportunity would come eventually, and that waiting will work. (and it never will)

tl;dr: I got lucky enough to be given the opportunity to get shit done and improve my life, but i can't due to me being a massive faggot.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmedeiadesigns:
MedeiaDesigns Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sign up for a regular activity that you can't get out of. Seriously! Activity breeds activity: if you're doing one thing, you're automatically more inclined to tackle other things as well (hence the 'best way to get something done is to tell a busy person to do it'). So sign up for an extracurricular art class, or do volunteer work, or get a part-time job if you don't have one already. When I had the feeling that there was so much to do but I just did none of it (despite being unemployed and having loads of free time because there's only so many jobs in any given week you can reply to) I volunteered to do research for a government organisation (which also happens to look good on my cv). Now I am A) in an active mindset and B) as I have less free time, the free time I do have becomes that much more precious!
Good luck getting motivated again, these things just go in ups and downs I think.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student Filmographer
for sure.

thanks! :)
:iconannhutton:
AnnHutton Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
make a list, get things done one day at a time
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Student Filmographer
perhaps.
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I'm in a rut

I always question the validity of whether or not someone truly wants to do something when they say this. I have been stuck at certain times, but it was always that I didn't want to abandon what I was doing. I have an intense need to try and make my compositions work.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Filmographer
to be honest, i'm not exactly sure what the word for it is.
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Unmotivated?
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Filmographer
eh, iunno. maybe. (although 'unmotivated' sounds like i'm blaming my surroundings for not motivating me enough.)
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
No, it's a personal problem.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Filmographer
so, how does one get motivated?
Add a Comment: