Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 91

That old laptop has given me bad memories!

:iconppgrainbow:
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You might remember this forum thread "Non-compter savvy people should be banned from the internet" from last Winter. Since I got internet access back, a lot has changed since then.

The same old nutcase mentally challenged 18-year old adult who I still cannot name, cut holes on the wires attached to the backup battery pack, but ultimately tried to ruin the Toshiba Satellite P15-S420 laptop by attempting to stuff a blanket in the fan on the back of the aging laptop. :roll:

Now, the aging laptop has issues to a point where it will shut off by itself under heavy load...which means that the laptop won't work correctly anymore.

As for the Toshiba Tecra 720 CDT laptop, I compromised the kid to give the laptop to me in exchange for some watches. I upgraded the hard drive as well as maxing out on the memory. And even added a 8.1 GB PCMCIA hard drive and a PCMCIA network card.

Since the exchange from the laptop for watches, I took very good care of it for the rest of 2011, all of last year and into the first two weeks of this year. When I was planning to get a seller refurbished Compaq TC1000 for $139, I made the decision to wipe all of the data off the external PCMCIA hard disk and the hard drive itself. I simply do not have the time anymore to recreate a partition, reformat and install another operating system all over again...as that unit is almost 17 years old now!

And since the hard drive and memory on the laptop was upgraded...it was my property. And no...because that creep destroyed a Pentium III laptop and attempted to ruin the nine-year old laptop, I have absolutely no plans to reverse the exchange and give the clunker laptop back to him as he will even attempt to ruin the clunker laptop too.

And furthermore, I will not let him get his own way for begging and asking when he'll get his laptop back again...because, there is a good chance that he'll ruin it. I pretty much lost all respect for that damn kid.

Now, I'm gonna try to either sell it or recycle it completely. It will only be a matter of time when I prepare the nearly 17-year old clunker laptop for its demise! :evillaugh:

And, no...I afraid that I cannot afford to get the faulty hard drive on the Compaq TC1000 replaced right now. :(

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
17 years.. o.o
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep. I feel that it would be totally pointless for me or anyone else to continue using the Tecra 720CDT laptop into perpetuity. :(
:iconwalkingren:
WalkingRen Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
Just run away with the computer
:sprint:
I'd rather abandon it completely and decide later what I'm going to do with it as it has not been touched for almost a month now.
Just donate it to charity
I probably make a final decision of what I'm going to do...but I'm not going to do it right now.

Sorry.
:shrug:
:pat:
:(
:icondetective-inspector:
Detective-Inspector Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have had so many problems with my toshiba(I put a few 44. rounds in it a few years ago to end the pain).
The story:
Two weeks after I first bought it,(2005) the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Toshiba sent me a "refurbished" one that wasn't worth my time. Then the motherboard broke, TWICE. I got two refurbished motherboards, then the warranty expired.

Lesson learned, don't get a toshiba.
Did you managed to get the laptop repaired or did you ended up throwing it in the trash?

It would be better off to not get so-called "seller refurbished" laptops that do not work correctly.
I bought it brand spanking new from Staples. I sent it to toshiba for parts. They gave me crap parts.

I fixed it from breeding with my Smith and Wesson.
You bought a new one from Staple and it didn't work? That's terrible!
My sister purchased one too the same year(she got the better model) it lasted 3 more months than my did. However she didn't shoot hers of course.
Nope. She didn't shoot it.

It's obvious that newer laptops aren't lasting for not even a year as the older ones from a few years ago are. :(
I still have my dads 1998 gateway computer and it works.(no internet of course) Even with the cow box it came in. :)
That's good to hear that! :D
(1 Reply)
:iconmikepav:
mikepav Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
if the computers are that old you've surely gotten your money out of them.  i really hate working on slow and faulty equipment.  might be time to get something less than 5 years old.
Even if the computer is less than five years old...vendors have limits on how long a operating system (Windows, Mac or Linux) can be supported.
but a computer from 5 years ago is more than capable of running windows 7.

and operating system support seems to be the least of your worries since you keep having hardware problems anyway. once a system is stable, software updates really aren't necessary.
It's not just about Windows 7, it's about Windows 8 and future versions of Windows as well.

Microsoft will further stop selling Windows 7 by this Fall and end OEM preinstallation sales by the end of the following year.
big whoop. you're running legacy software on a breaking down machine. you can upgrade to something a lot more current with years of support ahead of it. or you can keep running on some shit machine. whatever.

nothing has indefinite support. it's about using it long enough to have it be worth the money you spent on it.
For the time being...I'm running Win2k concurrently with the Windows Vista laptop.

So...it is a big whoop. The machine's motherboard got replaced more than two years ago and I cannot afford to completely replace the motherboard on the primary machine. :shrug:
:iconmr-bigmouth-502:
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
I've got an Acer Travelmate that's nearly 9 years old, and it still works quite well for things like websurfing, watching Youtube videos, and even playing some older games (Unreal Tournament, Starcraft, etc.). I don't use it as my primary machine, but it's great when I'm on the road and I don't feel like packing my desktop or my bigass Alienware laptop.
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Good. It's obvious that I neither use the Tecra 720CDT, The Fujitsu Point 510 nor the Compaq TC1000 as my primary machine. The desktop PC that I'm using is my primary machine. The ASUS G1S-B1 is my secondary machine and the Fujitsu Point 510/Compaq TC1000 are the other machines that I use.

It's remarkably obvious that I'm using up to four PCs now! :lol:
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
In fact, if it weren't for the small hard drive and lack of desktop real-estate or the fact that I occasionally play more demanding games, I could easily get away with using it as my main rig.
:iconamairim:
Amairim Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
"Non-compter savvy people should be banned from the internet" ? rofl! there are too many!
I agree. There are just way too many. :(
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Is the laptop shutting down from overheating? Maybe the fans went out. It happens. Good luck selling an old lap top. Why didn't you just take out the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure? Then you don't have to erase it. And even if you erase it, savy computer geeks can still get the info off it.
The laptop might have been shutting down from overheating. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, nor the money to repair the damage done on that laptop. :(
Probably just as well. You would be throwing good money after bad judging by it's age.
Yep. The laptop is almost nine years old. It would be best to leave the laptop as is and untouched for a while.
You might be able to sell it to an antique store.
I'll think about it.
:iconlord-hayati:
Lord-Hayati Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
my god, that kid sounds worse than my granddad. XD wanna trade?
:lol: Good idea!

As for that kid, I agree. He won't be getting his hands on another laptop that he could destroy. :no:
give him an Apple II computer. I bet he couldn't screw that up. XD
I don't think that a Apple II would even work. I can't explain why though.
why not? It solves everything. if he wrecks it, simply smash him in the head with it. :D
I don't think that he would totally do that. :laughing:
:iconschnitzelmobile:
SchnitzelMobile Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
What did the computer ever do to him? Kill his pet? Shit in his cereal?
No. He as mental disability issues and is prone to destroying things. I'm not one of them. Thank god.
:iconschnitzelmobile:
SchnitzelMobile Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Well that explains it. Sometimes I wonder what goes through their heads though
:p Yeah.
:iconfixmeknow:
FixMeKnow Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
What has he got against the poor computers?
What he did was to cut the wires on a backup battery pack and made attempts to destroy the laptop by using a blanket to smother the fans on the back of the laptop.

As a result, he won't be using any laptops anymore for sure.
:iconfixmeknow:
FixMeKnow Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Did he have a plan or just random destruction?
There was no plan. :p
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
I can sort of understand wrecking equipment that's already faulty (I've done it myself with a bunch of old crashed hard drives), but who in their right mind destroys perfectly good computer equipment??? It pisses me off when people do that.
I agree. I don't find it right when some disabled kid who don't know nothing about computers, plays games and then finds ways to damage or destroy a computer beyond repair. :(
Add a Comment: