GIMP 2.0 Virus Blame

So, in giving a comment, I suggested someone might be able to get better effects with GIMP 2.0. Simple, right?
Turns out not, look at this:
[link]
The guy manages to give himself a virus, blames and then blocks me. Then releases that journal. Could someone explain to this guy GIMP is not a virus, I would do it myself but I'm blocked. Most annoying.
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Any attempts to bypass a block that someone gave to you can result in further measures to be taken against you.

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
Why do people get so fussy when they get blocked? Is it really that bad?
Looks like a few people have told him already. I do wait with baited breath to see how he responds to them.
I downloaded GIMP 2.0 and it was a virus and infected me computer for hours.

What is he, a leprechaun? Besides, gimp-virus v2.8 is out now :nod:
I think the problem is that if you google GIMP then the official GIMP site isn't what you get at the top of the page but a place called 'getgimp.com' which looks dodgy as all hell. I came across somebody else who was convinced that GIMP was a virus because of that.

But the way I see it you can't worry about people who blindly click on the first download link they see in google having a virus. It would be like worrying about fish being wet.
GIMP sucks anyway.
Well Gimp a lot of things like incredibly unuser-friendly though when you figure things out it can be even more useful then photoshop but one thing it isn't is a virus.

Actually maybe his anti virus is Avast and like me Avast believes every art program is a fucking virus. I actually had to get rid of Avast and replace with a new anti virus because it both deleted photoshop and sai off my computer on different occasions because it thought both programs were malware :| even making them an exception still did jack shit because Avast apparently does not give a shit about anything you say. Not everyone with Avast experiences this but apparently a few other people besides me have had run ins with Avast deleting art programs as Malware. If that's the case he probably got a warning and now is exaggerating what actually happened on his computer.

Anyway back on track: If he's telling the truth I'm assuming he was a fucking idiot and downloaded the program from a sketchy 3rd party site because gimp is pretty trustworthy program. Either that or as you said he probably got the virus from something else. Its definitely not Gimp's doing considering Gimp exists to help artists and probably wouldn't risk damaging their cred by allowing their site to carry a computer destroying virus. Its kind of detrimental to your cause if your cause is to help people to turn around break their computers.
Un-user friendliness? I've used gimp off and on for a bit (started before layers was a feature: D), but always thought the interface was OK.

I'm probably just used to it. But I'm curious what you think is unfriendly about the interface.

I noticed its new one window interface...boy do I hate it :lol:
well I just find a lot of features are kinda not very obvious so you have to dig around to figure out how to do things. I mean again you can do some pretty fantastic things with the program when you know what you're doing but to figure that out I find for a lot of things you have to look it up online because there's no fiddling around until you figure it out like I've done for every other art program I've ever used.

Really when I started to use sai I figure out how to do basically everything within like a few hours... I've had gimp for just as long and still don't know how to do most things on it :stare: Its so confusing I've given up and only use it for either adding text because sai has no text tool and making animated gifs.
Avast hasn't deleted any art programs off my PC so far. Except it wouldn't let me save my Red Faction game, thus causing me to start over.
I've gotten false positives with other antivirus programs too. Can be a little annoying :)
Yeah as I said its not a problem most have, only a few unlucky souls like me where Avast decided out of nowhere to do it... TWICE with no warning. Heck I went off and redownloaded sai just in case some file on sai had got malware in it AND IT WOULDN'T EVEN LET ME REDOWNLOAD IT because it thought the actual download file directly from the official sai website was malware :|
It was ridiculous to say the least and the reason I decided to switch anti viruses. I'm glad I'm one of the few people this has happen to but basically what I'm getting at is if Avast ever delete an art program as malware on your computer 99% chance its just Avast being a dickhead for no good reason and not because your art program was actually possessing any problems.
Fair enough. I agree, it is kind of reverse karma. Still, I don't like to be held accountable for these kind of things, I like to think I'm not a dick enough to do something like that :D
Are you replying to someone or everyone?
Pretty much just everyone.
Why would you want to interfere with such perfect karma?
I just downloaded that the other day, got off without a virus. Thanks to good ol' avast anything that would have gotten through would have been destroyed(kinda)
No, nobody tell him. It's funnier like this.
That's actually good.

No really. No one should encourage him to download any art programs. He does enough by sharing his horrible writing, he doesn't need to share his horrible artwork.
After seeing his gallery, I agree.