Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

GIMP 2.0 Virus Blame

:iconkenota:
Kenota Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
So, in giving a comment, I suggested someone might be able to get better effects with GIMP 2.0. Simple, right?
Turns out not, look at this:
[link]
The guy manages to give himself a virus, blames and then blocks me. Then releases that journal. Could someone explain to this guy GIMP is not a virus, I would do it myself but I'm blocked. Most annoying.

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Any attempts to bypass a block that someone gave to you can result in further measures to be taken against you.

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
:icontrampire:
Trampire Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Why do people get so fussy when they get blocked? Is it really that bad?
:iconfixmeknow:
FixMeKnow Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Looks like a few people have told him already. I do wait with baited breath to see how he responds to them.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist
I downloaded GIMP 2.0 and it was a virus and infected me computer for hours.

What is he, a leprechaun? Besides, gimp-virus v2.8 is out now :nod:
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think the problem is that if you google GIMP then the official GIMP site isn't what you get at the top of the page but a place called 'getgimp.com' which looks dodgy as all hell. I came across somebody else who was convinced that GIMP was a virus because of that.

But the way I see it you can't worry about people who blindly click on the first download link they see in google having a virus. It would be like worrying about fish being wet.
:iconthegman0:
theGman0 Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist
GIMP sucks anyway.
:iconphantasmastriker:
PhantasmaStriker Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Retard alert!
:iconwalkingren:
WalkingRen Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Boop
:icongalacticgoat:
GalacticGoat Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well Gimp a lot of things like incredibly unuser-friendly though when you figure things out it can be even more useful then photoshop but one thing it isn't is a virus.

Actually maybe his anti virus is Avast and like me Avast believes every art program is a fucking virus. I actually had to get rid of Avast and replace with a new anti virus because it both deleted photoshop and sai off my computer on different occasions because it thought both programs were malware :| even making them an exception still did jack shit because Avast apparently does not give a shit about anything you say. Not everyone with Avast experiences this but apparently a few other people besides me have had run ins with Avast deleting art programs as Malware. If that's the case he probably got a warning and now is exaggerating what actually happened on his computer.

Anyway back on track: If he's telling the truth I'm assuming he was a fucking idiot and downloaded the program from a sketchy 3rd party site because gimp is pretty trustworthy program. Either that or as you said he probably got the virus from something else. Its definitely not Gimp's doing considering Gimp exists to help artists and probably wouldn't risk damaging their cred by allowing their site to carry a computer destroying virus. Its kind of detrimental to your cause if your cause is to help people to turn around break their computers.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist
Un-user friendliness? I've used gimp off and on for a bit (started before layers was a feature: D), but always thought the interface was OK.

I'm probably just used to it. But I'm curious what you think is unfriendly about the interface.

I noticed its new one window interface...boy do I hate it :lol:
Add a Comment: