Details

Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 192

I'll die out here...

:iconcorvalian:
This damn city and my damn college campus. Due to some weird weather thing that I won't explain, we get terrible air pollution during the winter time. All the cold air and pollution gets trapped in the city and it ends up looking like Silent Hill except a shitload colder. I tried to take a deep breath outside the other day and starting coughing, I ain't even getting a cold.

Snow supposedly clears it out, and 'luckily' it happens from time to time. The problem is that the pollution builds right back up to Silent Hill status after a couple days have passed. Oh and this winter, when it snows, it fucking SNOWS. We got like two feet a week or two ago, and it just keeps coming.

What do the schools and universities do that day? Call a snow day? Hell no! Fuck that! We're used to these winters, just tough it out. Nevermind that snow is up to our knees and driving is extra, extra dangerous. Oh and nevermind that entire neighborhoods don't have power. Suck it up and go.

Fuck you guys, just call a damn snow day, wtf is wrong with you people?

Next thing you know, we get freezing rain, like a few days later. I've lived here for 24 years and I've never seen freezing rain. I couldn't even scrape that shit off my car, and I fell three times just to get to it from the front door. You think that shit was safe? Nope, slipping and sliding and fuckin' cars doing 360 degree spins on the freeway. Did anything get called off? Nope, fuck you guys, you'll go to school/work or you'll die! It's a miracle I'm still alive and haven't had an accident yet. Although I'm sure this pollution has probably lowered my life expectancy by about 15 years already.

To top all this off, my university's parking situation is horse shit. The closest parking lots are like a mile away from any building and they're for teachers only. The next closest are for students with permits, but they're always full. Why would I pay these greedy bastards over $100 for a parking spot that may or may not exist when I need it? The entire campus is also on a damn hill, so the closest I can park is at the bottom and hike my ass to the top. I don't live far from campus, but I generally have to leave my house an hour early just because it's going to take me 30-45 minutes to walk from my car to where I need to go. Maybe even longer if there's snow.

At this point, it hasn't snowed for a few days, so the snow that is left (still deep, hasn't been warm enough to melt much) is like this nasty looking black shit. I don't know how snow gets so damn nasty just laying on the ground like that. I guess it's like all the cars pushing it to the side leaving mud, street grime, asphalt... tire particles, and childrens' tears makes it that way, but now I gotta walk through it. It gets somewhat tiring caring a backpack uphill through snow and ice every day, but with the pollution it means I'm breathing in a lot more of that shit than is even remotely healthy, and my pants are dirty because the snow's soaked in shit.

Now don't give me that crap about "derr just move if you don't like it." What are you, one of those dude's on South Park who says "If you don't like 'Murica, then you can geeettt out!" It ain't that simple. There's family, friends, school, jobs, and other things that tie you to a location. After that there are some good things about living here too, like overall low crime-rate compared to larger cities, it isn't super overcrowded, cost of living is cheaper than normal, economy is better than most places in the nation, etc. So no, I'll stay here and complain, and you'll fucking listen to it.

I just wish the people in charge would do something about it like passing better regulations for climate control or allowing people to work/study at home more often on days where the air quality reaches a certain pollution level.

TL;DR: Sphincter sores, herpes, and the brown mist...

Real TL;DR: cold weather/horrible pollution, silent hill, shortening life expectancy, schools/work/govt. not letting people stay home during unsafe conditions

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

ikr, still wondering when a monster is going to come shambling out of the mist.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
carry a sword. D:<
but they're so heavy! :noes:
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Then you get killed by monsters. :saddummy:
I can swing my backpack, it's pretty heavy too.
:iconsilverchromex:
SilverChromeX Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If you feel that this situation violates your safety so dearly then write your congressman a letter. Get others to join you too. There's no reason you should be left in a live/die situation with that type of a snow situation. If you were to die one day like that on the roads, I would imagine that the college would not so much like the idea of a student who died who could have lived staying home. Reputation is important like that.
My congressman is a fuckface, and he's not going to do anything with my letter except wipe his ass with it. There was a large group of protesters outside his building just the other day wearing gas masks and stuff, demanding some type of regulation and acknowledgment. Nobody official bothered to talk to them or accept their petition, they sent some poor old lady receptionist to take the petition from them instead. They asked if they could hand it to the Governor's Environmental Adviser in person, but they just barred the doors and said "he's not seeing anyone right now."

Then it turns out the Governor himself was in Washington D.C. the day of the protest. It must be nice for him to be able to just fly out of this crappy weather, get paid for it, and not have to give a shit.

The University doesn't care either. In December, one of their Ph.D professors slipped on the ice and broke his shoulder early in the morning before most people were up there. He could barely manage to get help, had to go to the ER, and had to miss work for awhile. You'd think they'd be a little more willing to call a snow day at that point, but no. :(
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Feb 9, 2013  Student General Artist
Sprinkle salt everywhere.
Add a Comment: