Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 227

So you lowered my grade by 15 points just because you fucking felt like it?!

:iconvi0letdreamer:
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Student Photographer
Recently, we had a pop quiz in history class. I knew some of the material, but not quite all of it. I guessed on about half of the questions. So I ended up with 17/20 correct. I was proud of myself, but then I looked at the percentage grade. It said 70%.

I calculated it all out and 17/20 should equal 85%. So I politely went up to the teacher and pointed out the mistake on my grade. She said she's tired of me not trying in her class and she took off the points because she wants me to start trying harder.

So basically, she took off fifteen points just because she felt like it. This effectively lowered my A to a B+. How could I have had an A in the first place if I didn't try? This is bullshit! :rage:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbazzyli:
Bazzyli Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Thats ridiculous. If she believed that you were not trying enough (which is entirely possible even when receiving an A) she should have spoken you about it first and not used a technique that detrimental to your current grade. I had a teacher lower my grade for not smiling enough once, i understand your pain.
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Photographer
Was it, like, a speech or public speaking class?
No, it was an education class since I am studying to be a teacher. I did not agree with her methods so I found it difficult to enjoy her lectures some times.
Then the "not smiling enough" thing is weird... how many points did she take off?
just a few, it was the principle of the matter.
I sit in the same classroom for 4 hours a day for five days a week to pass your class in 4 weeks (its a block plan as opposed to semester) and you expect me to be happy the entire time. No.

We didn't like each other.
:icondoloreg:
doloreg Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
While i disagree with her methods, what shocked me most is that 70% counts as a B+.
It doesn't. I have a B+ in the class. You obviously don't read thoroughly.
:icondoloreg:
doloreg Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
I did actually, i just thought you meant by taking that 15% away, it lowered the grade of the test, not your average. However, I do see what you mean now.
I would like to add that it's not mentioned whether the A refers to your test or your average in the class, so thorough reading had little to do with it.
:iconprincesscillerenda:
PrincessCillerenda Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
That's total bullshit! There are better ways to motivate a student.
:iconshadowmaker-241:
ShadowMaker-241 Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'm pretty sure she can be reported for that...
:iconkyllian:
Kyllian Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
You guessed on half the test, got a decent grade out of sheer luck, was proud to have done well based on pure luck instead of actual intelligence.
I'd dock you 15 points too
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
See, I call BS on this maneuver. Sometimes you can't pick out the right answer, but you can cross off all the wrong ones. Or you don't know why a right answer is right, but you do know it is the right one. Or you have outside information that would turn the "right" answer into a wrong one, so all the answers are technically wrong, so you need to pick out the least wrong answer. In all of those scenarios, getting the marked correct answer could be considered "luck"

Either way, she answered them correctly so she should get the points. If the teacher wanted to eliminate random chance as a factor, she should convert her multiple choice questions into fill in the blanks. Or she should take the student's "effort" grade down, not a quiz grade.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Digital Artist
Aww maybe you should do better then. It can't be that hard. I mean If I could get 100% both massively drunk and stoned while never opening a book every time, it shouldn't be that hard should it.
:iconhorrificsensation:
HorrificSensation Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
wow what a fucking bitch, dont let her get away with that :/
:icondetective-inspector:
Detective-Inspector Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Take it to the dean! Make her explain why the grade is like that in front of his or her face.
:iconladysuzaku:
LadySuzaku Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
You got the answers right and you didn't cheat. Anyone on here whining about the whole semantics of the matter is totally missing the point. The teacher had no right or justification for taking off 15 points like that. Teachers can get into big trouble for pulling stunts like that because it can ultimately harm a students GPA if a teacher arbitrarily 'decides' things like that.
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Digital Artist
Your teacher is a bitch. You're doing well in school and that should be praised. If she wanted to make you work harder, she should of made the questions a bit tougher. She's just being a cunt about it. I do not miss secondary school at all.
:iconssensory:
ssensory Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   Writer
Well, that teacher is a bitch. You should tell the principal about that, because honestly that is not fair. The teacher doesn't give the grades, you earned them. Therefore, you earned 17 points.

PS: a B+ isn't bad, but I understand.
:iconexorcised-knight:
Exorcised-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Don't you mean 15% not points??

I love history, but we learn proper history. Although we had to do 3 essays on the American Civil Rights Movement, I didn't enjoy them so much...

But she shouldn't have just randomly changed your grade.
:iconkoui:
Koui Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013   General Artist
a B+ is a bad grade to you? Jesus Christ :icondoublefacepalmplz:

meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how a pop-quiz is worth enough points to drop your average half a letter grade...
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Photographer
She doesn't count homework for a grade so it's just quizzes and tests, which we don't have a lot of. Any quiz has the potential to bring us up or down by one letter grade.
Koui Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013   General Artist
well that's no fun :(
Perhaps it's the new semester for his/her class and there's not too many points yet?
maybe but pop quizzes shouldn't be worth much even if they're graded; they should be no more than 5-10% versus 20% for homework which was standard when I got to college level. In my old high school pop quizes weren't worth anything outside of a math or science class unless it was a week before a major test or something
I guess so, but I don't know that much about pop quizzes because my teachers rarely give them, so. :shrug:
the "Pop" means random afterall
I know that much, but I don't know how much points they'd usually get or stuff like that.
depends on the teacher really
ssensory Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Writer
true.
:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I would give her hell if she was my teacher and she did something like that to me. Especially if it were to have dropped my grade down to an F.
:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013
That teacher should be fired. You don't do that.
:iconviokcha:
Viokcha Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Your teacher really is a bitch O_o
Nobody cares if you guessed the answers or not, at least you didn't cheat. I think you deserve your full 85%
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Student Photographer
Thanks
:icongoodbyemoon:
goodbyemoon Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
You got strong proof she is unfairly grading you. That's called bulling and is frowned upon. Report the bitch.
:iconinrydanmaku:
InryDanmaku Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Just complain at her superiors, don't be affraid to show a little rebellion. Stay pollite and gentleman and her superior will understand. And be honest. Good luck mate.
Thanks
:iconxxtraprince:
XXtraPrince Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
She's got your number, and you know it, and she knows you know it. Grow up.
:iconazraeldigabriel:
AzraeldiGabriel Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't see why people are like "you shouldn't have guessed on the questions". It was a pop quiz. Those are spontaneous, you can't really study for them....

Also, I personally believe guessing at answers is better than just leaving them blank. After all, you have a chance of getting it right.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
Was it real history or American history?
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student Photographer
American history
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
Ah, see, there's your problem right there. American History is meant to be taught in a pure bullshit manner (in the US at least).

And if you're in High School, you should know that it's probably illegal to teach American History competently (dead serious)
I highly doubt it's illegal or we wouldn't have American Studies, American Studies Honors, and AP American Studies. How would the school keep its license if these courses were illegal?
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Do you have any idea how much trouble a teacher would get into if they taught US History in a fair, and honest fashion? There is a reason why the stereotype of "Americans don't know shit" about history exists. Because in public schools, history classes, especially US history classes, are required to be heavily censored, "omit" (lie) certain details, and must be as "safe" and as least controversial as possible. It's become so bad, that schools actually teach that Woodrow Wilson was not only a decent human being, but an excellent president.

Classes also like to bring up the "inspirational" story of Helen Keller, but when it comes to her devotion to Communism? Oh, suddenly she doesn't even exist anymore. And they don't really tell much about what Columbus did after he "discovered" America, do they? Let's just say he found a lot of jobs for people in a very cost-efficient manner. And you really think the US Government is going to allow the teaching that the FBI under the control of J. Edgar Hoover was primarily devoted to stopping and discrediting Martin Luther King Jr.'s equal rights movement (which is true)? The US wants to produce patriots, and the best way not to be a patriot in the United States is to learn about the history of the US.

Here, improve ze mind:

[link]
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Photographer
Actually, we did talk about the Columbus thing.
:iconexorcised-knight:
Exorcised-Knight Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I thought omit meant "miss out" not "lie"?

My theory is that they have to massively change their own history to make it interesting. In my history class we had to do 3 essays on the American Civil Rights Movement (unfortunately), it became so tedious to learn about :iconheaddeskplz: But when you think about it, the Americans don't even have that much history (compared to many other countries). It's still pretty sad they have to lie about their own history though.
At any rate, thankfully we've moved onto Nazi Germany, although personally I prefer ancient history.
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Oh, the US has tons of history.

Most of it just isn't very nice history, which is why public schools are required to make it boring and leave out all the good, juicy controversial stuff. Shifting over to the nazis, the easiest scapegoat, is another easy trick. Make sure they talk about the US internment camps where Japanese-US citizens were forced to be confined. A lot of classes conveniently "miss out" that detail.
:iconkandroid96:
kandroid96 Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional Photographer
She can technically get fired for that. Im no brain surgeon but unless she has tenure, they can at the very least force her to change the grade...so long as you have the paper to prove it of course. Good luck.
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student Photographer
Thanks
:iconzane-the-damned:
ZANe-The-Damned Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Student Writer
I'd tell your parents or your principal.

I do have to agree this is bullshit.

I mean, you DID guess on half the answers and that's not right, but the point is you got the grade you did and she shouldn't have done that.

But still, you need to try at least.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Report her to your math teacher.
Add a Comment: