Closed to new replies
February 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 746

"REAL geek girls don't exist! Get back in the kitchen!"

:iconsynthetikdreamer22:
SynthetikDreamer22 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
why do geeky guys think this??? it pisses me off because I'm a geek girl; I love anime and sci-fi and the occasional fantasy novel. Why are people dumbfounded when they find out a girl (especially a cute/hot one) likes geeky stuff???

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvajrasana:
vajrasana Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Weeaboo C:
:iconkristalnacho:
kristalnacho Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Sorry dude but you're a special :snowflake:.
I like some anime but I don't flaunt it around because it gives people a negative view of you. that's how you get teased for it.

Also blocking people like a child isn't a good idea. You made a thread in a public forum and people are giving you a honest opinion about the situation and how you're reacting.

if you're sick of "mean people making fun of me11! ;( " go ask a forum mod to lock the thread.
:icontimmy64:
timmy64 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Your style seems to be less geek and more modern punk/scene. The two areas intertwine when it comes to matters of Sci-Fi, and your declared interest in Cyberpunk and anime shifts you more towards this than the so-called geek culture. Keep in mind that this is in no way related to punk culture of the late 80s/early 90s as punk relates more to being a counter-culture. Whilst it also shares some common traits even with mainstream culture, and even ends up influencing it and vice versa. To call yourself is a geek appears to be an erroneous label as it doesn't encompass the full extent of your personality. Don't sell yourself short.
:icontamarviewstudio:
TamarViewStudio Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013   Photographer
Sounds like you're trying too hard. Just enjoy what you enjoy and quit worrying about what other people think of you. It's stuff like this that pisses people off...
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Or, how about this:

Not label yourself, because labeling is what causes a lot of problems in social, political, mental, and sometimes physical situation, and worry about being the best person you can be.

I just don't understand the need to be called something or to fit in one group. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's like you're taking all the fun out of individuality and discovering who you are as a person just so you can fit into some sort of culture that started from a word used to bully and degrade people. Taking the power out those words, to me, is not making them into something better but causing further division. To me, taking the power out of those words means not using them to label any person.

To me, it really doesn't matter what subculture you think you fit in, because no person is an exact stereotype of their subculture and as they shouldn't be.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
They're probably more dumbfounded that you consider liking anime, sci-fi and fantasy to be the criteria for the definition of "geek".

Anything really geeky is often aimed at males, and they don't expect females to be into that stuff.
:iconsynthetikdreamer22:
SynthetikDreamer22 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
According to most accepted definitions, I don't fit the description of "weeaboo".

from urbandictionary.com:
A non japanese person who basically denounces their own culture and calls themselves japanese. They try to learn japanese through the anime they watch and usually end up pronouncing it wrong and looking like a complete idiot.

KEEP IN MIND: that a non-japanese person can like the culture, watch anime, speak the language and RESPECT THE CULTURE, while still keeping in touch with there own. Which keeps them from being a Weeaboo, japanophile, ect.

I like the culture, I watch some anime, I OCCASIONALLY speak the language (only in full sentences and when speaking to someone else who is also speaking Japanese, not Japanglish) and I have respect for the culture. The only thing I can relate to is not respecting my own culture, but I live in the U.S.; there isn't really a decent culture here.
:iconzenblood:
ZenBlood Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Really? I thought people didn't care anymore.
It's like when someone announces that they're a "gamer girl"- we're all past that already. It's normal.
:iconkyllian:
Kyllian Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Because more times than not when a woman claims to be a "geek girl", she's actually just an attention whore who really isn't that geeky
:icontashrin:
Tashrin Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I find some of my challenging opponets in games are female. Sure other guys have beaten me but most of the time all I get is the same tactic from those guys. Girls seem to provide more of a... alternating challenge. Not the same thing over and over. Especially in RTS games the few I've met, I wish more where into them.

Why do girls get told to go to the kitchen? Cause those guys saying that just can't deal with it.
Add a Comment: