Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 454

You Don't Have to Know How to Cook to Tell Food is Bad...O RLY!?!?!?

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
a lot of people tell me this when obviously mediocre artists tell me my painting is bad. I say, some people eat cow nuts, horse mean, and dog. Just because they do and you hate it, would that make it bad food. A palette (taste buds) has to be refined just as taste in art and if not is largely based of cultural upbringing. To me that is why actual credible critiques exist. They illustrate through articles based on vast knowledge of the history of art, what is good and not. My complaint is that I can not stand when people with a limited "artistic palette" scrutinize my or other works of art. They don't know the techniques, history, or process. You can commence to hate but it whatever. I am trying o be as humane as possible like i was being in my last post until i was flamed. WHAT.EVER!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Once again you make some good points but you are incredibly rude while doing so. Understanding the history of art is not neccessary to criticize it. It depends on who you are trying to appeal with your art. Your costumers a.k.a the ones you are painting for thinks the painting is bad then you should probably take those words to heart and maybe change your tactics a bit. If they think it's good then keep going.
:iconapricots-from-nara:
Apricots-from-Nara Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student General Artist
I don't want to eat brain because... Well, it's brain and that seems a little odd, but if I did, I would know if it tasted good or bad. And if it was good, I would want it again. I used to hate salsa, but then I tried some my mom made, and it was the best I ever had.

Would you eat penis? Or dog? Would you eat eye balls? What about balnut? It's not the taste that puts people off, but where the food comes from or the part that is eaten.

So yeah, your argument is null and void.
:iconbumsy:
Bumsy Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
You're not fun anymore. :(
:iconsronivera:
SROnivera Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
PART DEUX:

So, I've left a few things out. I agree with the critic's requirement to have knowledge- but do you know what a critic is for?

Before I answer that, let me give you an idea as to what art is- it's a dialogue. It's the act of transferring your thoughts, feelings, emotions, ideas, concepts, and even opinions in a creative fashion. Usually as it is in visual arts, story telling, and hell- you can even communicate to the audience with a sculpture or painting or even a building. You can even do it with a dialogue. In technicality even TROLLING is an art, because it's a form of creative dialogue.

A critique is simply the feedback to the artist from the audience on what they think of it. Whether if it's cultured/serious or by some pleb, any critique is always to be welcomed. Is it good, or is it shit? Was it "Meh, could've done better?" or was it "Meh, decent remake of a remake?"- and so on. Criticism is basically what the artist thrives on to become better.

If your artwork is bland, look for ways to push it further. If your anatomy is bad, then look for the errors and correct them. If your writing is bad, then look for the errors and poorly written parts and correct them on top of looking for ways to make them better. Criticism is always required for the dialogue in art to be complete. Even if it's negative.

Now, I've had some negative critiques so what did I do? I looked for what was wrong and I spent time and effort to correct those mistakes. I've even had to redo entire pieces of work just to get it right. It'll take you a long while to make a product worthy of high praise, and even then- you'll always get that one critique that didn't like it... and so what? It's an opinion. By getting butthurt from an opinion or critique on your artwork despite of if it's good or complete garbage is pretty much the largest sources of drama out from here on DA. Your butthurt and arrogance despite your moderately okay artistic ability labels you to be as bad as a common weeaboo with a badly-scrawled Mary-Sue fan character. Because neither of you can accept negative/constructive criticism. Take a hint and look for the errors in your work.
I agree.

To be a critic, you gotta understand art. You gotta understand and comprehend what was put into it, the talent involved, the creativity, and the tools and techniques and what it's purpose is to be. Entertainment, fine arts, artifacts of manufacture or hand-made, all of it can be judged based on the content and context and it's make and purpose. So yeah, a cultured taste and knowledge is required. Meanwhile, an artist also requires those exact same means.

This pretty much sums it up.
[link]
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
His complaint would be fine if he truly understood what he was even talking about. He knows critique about as much as a toad knows about a spacecraft. To top it off he's incredibly arrogant and will not accept anything that isn't praise.
That I completely agree with as well. Though then again, I haven't been keeping up with the drama with this DAtard here.

All I know is that, sure, he has a 'cultured' taste for some things, but his creativity is as stale as a weeaboo scribbling their favorite fandom. I dislike it at best, and I hate his forum posts on what art should be- right when he doesn't seem to have the slightest clue despite of all of this.

I think I should finish out my response to this with a part deux. Lol. :lol:
:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
worship me...i am back
Never.
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Hence the reason why I concentrate on things I enjoy, as opposed to moaning about everything I hate.

(I've enjoyed chicken alecha and Abyssinian mashed potatoes tonight, with ordinary coleslaw. It was delicious.)
Add a Comment: