Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 454

You Don't Have to Know How to Cook to Tell Food is Bad...O RLY!?!?!?

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
a lot of people tell me this when obviously mediocre artists tell me my painting is bad. I say, some people eat cow nuts, horse mean, and dog. Just because they do and you hate it, would that make it bad food. A palette (taste buds) has to be refined just as taste in art and if not is largely based of cultural upbringing. To me that is why actual credible critiques exist. They illustrate through articles based on vast knowledge of the history of art, what is good and not. My complaint is that I can not stand when people with a limited "artistic palette" scrutinize my or other works of art. They don't know the techniques, history, or process. You can commence to hate but it whatever. I am trying o be as humane as possible like i was being in my last post until i was flamed. WHAT.EVER!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcindertwig:
Cindertwig Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Once again you make some good points but you are incredibly rude while doing so. Understanding the history of art is not neccessary to criticize it. It depends on who you are trying to appeal with your art. Your costumers a.k.a the ones you are painting for thinks the painting is bad then you should probably take those words to heart and maybe change your tactics a bit. If they think it's good then keep going.
:iconapricots-from-nara:
Apricots-from-Nara Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student General Artist
I don't want to eat brain because... Well, it's brain and that seems a little odd, but if I did, I would know if it tasted good or bad. And if it was good, I would want it again. I used to hate salsa, but then I tried some my mom made, and it was the best I ever had.

Would you eat penis? Or dog? Would you eat eye balls? What about balnut? It's not the taste that puts people off, but where the food comes from or the part that is eaten.

So yeah, your argument is null and void.
:iconbumsy:
Bumsy Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
You're not fun anymore. :(
:iconsronivera:
SROnivera Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
PART DEUX:

So, I've left a few things out. I agree with the critic's requirement to have knowledge- but do you know what a critic is for?

Before I answer that, let me give you an idea as to what art is- it's a dialogue. It's the act of transferring your thoughts, feelings, emotions, ideas, concepts, and even opinions in a creative fashion. Usually as it is in visual arts, story telling, and hell- you can even communicate to the audience with a sculpture or painting or even a building. You can even do it with a dialogue. In technicality even TROLLING is an art, because it's a form of creative dialogue.

A critique is simply the feedback to the artist from the audience on what they think of it. Whether if it's cultured/serious or by some pleb, any critique is always to be welcomed. Is it good, or is it shit? Was it "Meh, could've done better?" or was it "Meh, decent remake of a remake?"- and so on. Criticism is basically what the artist thrives on to become better.

If your artwork is bland, look for ways to push it further. If your anatomy is bad, then look for the errors and correct them. If your writing is bad, then look for the errors and poorly written parts and correct them on top of looking for ways to make them better. Criticism is always required for the dialogue in art to be complete. Even if it's negative.

Now, I've had some negative critiques so what did I do? I looked for what was wrong and I spent time and effort to correct those mistakes. I've even had to redo entire pieces of work just to get it right. It'll take you a long while to make a product worthy of high praise, and even then- you'll always get that one critique that didn't like it... and so what? It's an opinion. By getting butthurt from an opinion or critique on your artwork despite of if it's good or complete garbage is pretty much the largest sources of drama out from here on DA. Your butthurt and arrogance despite your moderately okay artistic ability labels you to be as bad as a common weeaboo with a badly-scrawled Mary-Sue fan character. Because neither of you can accept negative/constructive criticism. Take a hint and look for the errors in your work.
I agree.

To be a critic, you gotta understand art. You gotta understand and comprehend what was put into it, the talent involved, the creativity, and the tools and techniques and what it's purpose is to be. Entertainment, fine arts, artifacts of manufacture or hand-made, all of it can be judged based on the content and context and it's make and purpose. So yeah, a cultured taste and knowledge is required. Meanwhile, an artist also requires those exact same means.

This pretty much sums it up.
[link]
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
His complaint would be fine if he truly understood what he was even talking about. He knows critique about as much as a toad knows about a spacecraft. To top it off he's incredibly arrogant and will not accept anything that isn't praise.
That I completely agree with as well. Though then again, I haven't been keeping up with the drama with this DAtard here.

All I know is that, sure, he has a 'cultured' taste for some things, but his creativity is as stale as a weeaboo scribbling their favorite fandom. I dislike it at best, and I hate his forum posts on what art should be- right when he doesn't seem to have the slightest clue despite of all of this.

I think I should finish out my response to this with a part deux. Lol. :lol:
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
worship me...i am back
Never.
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Hence the reason why I concentrate on things I enjoy, as opposed to moaning about everything I hate.

(I've enjoyed chicken alecha and Abyssinian mashed potatoes tonight, with ordinary coleslaw. It was delicious.)
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Uh huh. Keep talking.
:iconraptonx:
raptonx Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The only real problem is that you are kind of arrogant, that is why people are getting in your face about everything. Just saying.
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
tl;dr

finally one of your posts that made some sense.
:iconspaniardwithknives:
SpaniardWithKnives Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconevilgrinplz:
:iconanim3admir3r:
anim3admir3r Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"You Don't Have to Know How to Cook to Tell Food is Bad". That is correct! People's choice in taste is largely if not completely based on their cultural upbringing as well as their surroundings. In short, I may not ever like sushi because not only do I not like it. But based on my "cultural upbringing" it isn't good and it should be cooked completely. Although people are capable of learning to like things. So it is not impossible for someone to like something that they didn't before. But the same thing does not apply to art. If someone is bad at art. You're not going to come back in a year or two and think it's much better than you first thought. Not sure if this conveys what I meant, but Odomi2 sums it up pretty nicely in their previous comment!

Regardless, no one needs to be an Art history professor to know if and when someone is lacking in their art. No one can really critique on the subject of an artwork or piece. Because art is supposed to be subjective. But they can critique the technical aspects of it. And it is obvious to tell if someone is doing bad in that aspect.

If you're trying to draw a person and you give them one eye. Then 1. You drew that person's face wrong or 2. You're drawing an alien. :/
"Regardless, no one needs to be an Art history professor to know if and when someone is lacking in their art. No one can really critique on the subject of an artwork or piece. Because art is supposed to be subjective. But they can critique the technical aspects of it. And it is obvious to tell if someone is doing bad in that aspect."

This. ALL of my this.
:iconhkepoetry:
hkepoetry Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh my GOD, learn the difference between "opinion" and "facts". They are not the same thing, and never will be. And pick up some social skills, while you're at it.
Gosh, you're so stupid!
:iconodomi2:
Odomi2 Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Your comment has nothing to do with the statement: "You Don't Have to Know How to Cook to Tell Food is Bad"
I explain: this applies to a known dish as for example fried eggs.
You donīt know how to cook them but yet as a refined person you are, know how they taste, how much salt they have to have, and the addecuate texture who makes them pleasant to eat.
You donīt need to cook them to identify some salty burnt dry crap, do you?.
This isnt related to foreign food habits as you mention, like eating dog (not being used to a taste) that might be related to the topic as for the critic credibility, but thatīs another thing.

I say again: a lot of critics who really know about art and history, canīt actually draw or paint.
All are different things and are not necessarily bound.
:iconxannijn:
Xannijn Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Student Filmographer
Well frankly, there's a difference between being able to draw and having good taste. You don't need the one to have the other.
:iconnokapiplz:
NOKAPIplz Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Dude, you're seriously busting my ribs now.
:iconazza9:
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
lol dude! be carefull! if you shove your head any further up your ass you'll choke!
:iconsparkle-nerdyrainbow:
Sparkle-NerdyRainbow Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
It's disappointing how much of an ignorant, arrogant little shit you are.

You really do have potential, except you act as if you're the best fucking thing since sliced bread and you never take advice from people trying to HELP you.

Here's a little tip: Learn some fucking social skills.

Maybe if you didn't constantly post on the complaints forum, acted like an arrogant fuckface to everyone, you wouldn't be so notorious as you are on dA.

It's sad how you don't realize being ignorant, arrogant, and downright unpleasant will get you nowhere in the art world.

No.

Fucking.

Where.

Learn some social skills and maybe you'll actually accomplish something in your pitiful existence. :pat:
:iconthisplz:
:iconraptonx:
raptonx Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
THIS!
:iconcrazylittleloon:
Crazylittleloon Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Student Writer
I can't draw to save my life, but I know when something is shit.
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
o rly?
Yup. I don't know how to draw hands, but I know what hands should look like since, y'know, I have two of them.
Can I say pwn?
Crazylittleloon Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Writer
:bow:
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
I have 3. Is this unusual :/
yes quite
:iconphilliewig:
Philliewig Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
---> [link]

A friend showed me this video today. Everything about it reminded me of you. Methinks you should give it a watch.
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
um Phillie...hes talking about "artists" like you more so than me. I make contemporary art and i can draw. See, thats what i am talking about. People are ignorant to the history.
Contemporary art is art made with this era. SO technically any artist that's producing artwork and artifacts is a contemporary artist of TODAY.

:iconlaughingplz:
:iconfacepalmplz:
He didn't post the video because you share the same views. The man in the link goes about explaining art at the same level you do.
This is really funny. He explains art just as intellectually as the OP.
He also completely missed the point of sharing the video in the first place T.T I don't understand how any human being could have an ego so blindingly massive...
Lol I responded to him "not getting it"
He's just so totally daft...I actually pity him. It must be a miserable existance, only being able to get off to all the hate he generates.
Did you see his YouTube channel with his "music video"
Unfortunately. I'm really hoping that his sole purpose in life is to troll everyone and everything, because the alternative (a total singularity of douchy pretentiousness) os just too horrifying for me to fathom.
Horrifying and sad. Sad in a pitiful sense.
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Somebody needs to whore some good art art up in here!
NOKAPIplz Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013

All of which aren't mine.
:iconsavagefrog:
SavageFrog Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You seriously got a featuring talent *bows* OAO
NOKAPIplz Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
It's really not that hard to look for good art around this site.
True although you always seem to find such colorful things.
NOKAPIplz Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
I must be drawn to colorful stuff, then.
That's a good thing though (I only come to these forums to read or see the mini features)

Best part of illastrat's forums: you always find someone new to watch/favorite/etc. that isn't him.
Add a Comment: