You know, THAT art teacher

To blow off some highly-heated noxious steam before it boils over in a rage, I just have to talk about my art teacher, and how glad I am to be leaving her second semester :party:

Now, I acknowledge that I am not a professional artist. I am a novice in the world art compared to many other finely tuned creative minds out there. But I'm not so void of self-esteem to say that I suck, or can't draw at all. I understand the basic principals and can render realistic forms (particularly animals). While a young and developing artist, I think that if we all looked through the better works in my gallery we could probably agree that at the very least I have a decent understanding of color, shading, form, anatomy, and movement. So, when I showed my art to the art teacher (I'll call her Ms. B) it could be naturally assumed that she would put me in a class that extends on the basics that I have and more sharply hones them so that I can get better.... Was that too much too ask?!
Instead, she puts me in the basic art class where I LEARN literally NOTHING new except a brief introduction on how to make glass art. For about a quarter and a half of the semester we did contour drawings and NO OTHER FORM OF ART! Now if there are any professional contour artists out there, I'm sorry if I offend you, but doing twenty contours for nearly 4 months and nothing else probably drove me and the rest of the class nearly insane. We also did irrelevant worksheets from art text books that taught us nothing productive as the whole practice had the mentality of "read the book and fill in the answers on the worksheet".
What's worse is that she's that kind of person that will talk FOREVER, and you can't interrupt her either because she just starts up again! We'll be talking about line, shape and form one second and the next she's going off on a limb about how her daughter who dances in Calvary somewhere did such and such in her younger years.
She also has this annoying habit of.... and there's this other thing you should know.... yeah because those just go together so well you know what I mean.... not being able to finish complete, relevant sentences.
The only decent thing about this class was that I got to make a few glass pieces in her kilns, but they were actually quite simple, and if I had the financial means to own a $2000 dollar kiln and a few glass websites, I could have done it without her help.
Towards the end of the semester things started to get better as we FINALLY got out pencils, kneaded erasers, and blending sticks. Each student drew a part of several different faces (the school's science teachers actually) and gridded them. That was good for a while but then it was boring and I lost interest. Drawing an eyeball and half a nose from a very fuzzy picture when I'm used to drawing full bodied things was dull in comparison.
The icing on the cake of this long-winded rant was that when I went to her at the beginning of the year privately and asked her what classes I could take she said all students had to take basic art first before going to more advanced classes. I learned about a month into the semester that my friend, who had never taken an art class in her life let alone in high school, was in Ms.B's drawing and painting class, regularly drawing still life and practicing painting techniques. :rage: :angered: :steaming: That's the class I WANTED to be in but she said I couldn't!

So, now, to conclude this volcanic eruption of negative thoughts and rage, I am bursting with joy to be switching out of basic art at 2nd semester to go to video technology :woohoo: I'm going to have to play catch up from not being around for 1st semester, but after being in the classroom a few times it looks like what I'm looking for. So cheers and cross fingers to something more promising :D

If you have a similar rant about THAT teacher, feel free to share and we can all commiserate together.
Comments100
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
University is the same. You might get to go without worksheets in studio classes, but you'll be using JUST charcoal and newsprint for a few semesters of drawing, and you'll be CRAMPED in terms of what you get to actually draw- believe me, no animals. It's all about improving technique, art is learned best from observation of life- prepare to spend two semesters of painting and drawing doing just vases, plaster shapes, sheets and draperies!

Then, to complete your bachelors, 80% of your classes will be out of studio- work sheets, babbling, crap you don't care about.

That's school though, they need to make sure you hit a certain quota, and though some teachers try hard to please, not all students work the same way.

Anyways, better luck next semester!
My high school's main art teacher was one of those. She was in charge of the school's art club, which I had wanted to be apart of since Freshman year. One the fateful day I saw the flyers saying that art club was going to meet, I went to the right room on the right day and waited for the teacher. She wasn't just the art/art history/painting teacher, she was also the photography teacher too, and was talking with a couple of her photography students. After they left, she finally noticed me and said that the club wasn't going to meet that day, and said to come back next week. Ok, cool. Came back next week, and again, was told that the club wasn't meeting that day. Come back next week. Oh... So next week came and I went to her room and it was locked. She was in a teacher's meeting. :stare: Being forgiving, I tried yet again the next week, and got the 'next week' bit again. Finally fed up and tired of having to track down random students in order to use their cell phones to call home, I stopped coming to art club and joined the creative writer's club (which I stayed with for the next two years). I participated in that club happily (though I missed the club yearbook photo shoot- I was there on the right day, but couldn't find the room), and about 2-3 weeks after giving up art club, that teacher was in a room I passed with at least 15 students getting their pictures taken.

That was only my first encounter with that teacher, and we ran into each other a few more times. Senior year, I got placed into art history (which surprised me, considering how history was repeatedly been known to be one of my worst subjects, but hey, a chance for college credit, and it's art related, so I gave it a shot). That teacher was teaching the class. It was so infuriating being in her class. She didn't have a website with the Powerpoint notes for a few weeks and she went by so fast on the notes it was hard to take them. Her note worksheet she gave us was too annoying- there was a space for doodling a historical piece (the only drawing we did), and a tiny space for ~2 paragraphs of notes that wouldn't fit on there. The notes were a required thing to turn in, and though she said she allowed alternative notes (as in- you could type them and turn them in or write in a note book, etc.), she refused to accept my notes when I typed them. I did ok on the tests, but still flunked the class simply because I thought that she disliked me. :stare:
Awww, I'm sorry about that :hug:

Mainly with my teacher is that she never explained anything in a way that was easy to get. Like we did contours for months, but she never explained why we did them. We did worksheets, but never practiced any of the stuff on them. Why do stuff if you don't know why you're doing it?

She also liked to get off topic very easily and talk about her kids instead of teaching us. We'd probably waste 5-10 minutes most days in class listening to her chatter on about this or that and wait for her to find our assignments. It was just so slow paced and tedious to even listen to her. If I look to my left, and I look to my right, my fellow students should not look like they would rather run ten miles than be in art class.
I wouldn't if I were you. There are still quite a number of things you can learn from basic art. I used to hate contour drawing, as I saw it as a waste of time. But now when I actually draw objects I fix in and lock on that contour, reveling in every facet and change. Don't write her off. And contour is perfect for getting you to focus more on your subject, which you seem to have a problem doing.
:la: Time to start teaching yourself then. There is plenty of resources here and on the web for you to improve upon, and plenty of people to ask for critiques from so you know where you need to improve.

I'm about to give a go at acrylics myself.
I'm definitely working on it. Right now I've been focusing a lot on trying out different media to find what I really like/don't like, or would want to practice more precisely in the future. Finally branching out of just graphite pencils lol.

I've painted one thing only in acrylics and I felt like I had problems adjusting my mind from pencil mode to paintbrush mode :shakefist: . I have to teach myself they are two different tools entirely. And watercolors were fun too.
:nod: Always good to start out something new, but don't neglect your basic techniques, I know I regret doing that.

I had that problem going back to traditional art after using the computer for so long. I spent a good long while looking for the undo button. OTL
Fortunately for me, I don't think I'll ever like digital art as much as traditional. There's just something about having a pencil in my hand that appeals to me more than a computer screen :)
I can see the appeals, probably why I got a tablet.
ITT; Kid with some rudimentary talent is bored and impatient. Finds themselves too good for the basics.

Also when you say "leaving her" do you mean becasue you are dropping out or because you are advancing to another class/ grade that she doesn't teach?
This was written when I was angry and tired after a long day, so if it came off as "I was too good for the basics" that was not the intent. For a more appropriate profile of myself and and of my reasons for not liking her, look at my response to *Lankss (the 3rd paragraph) and ~Euterpe-The-Egret.

"leaving her" as in I am taking video technology to get an occupational necessary to graduate high school. My grades are fine, no dropping out in the fore see-able future.
I know you want to succeed in your field but couldn't you just treat it like a revisionary bludge? Ohh well you seem to be all sorted anyway.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by revisionary bludge, but yeah it is pretty much sorted already like you say.
In other words as you know all the stuff already just sit back and knock everything over. Which you are probably doing.
That makes more sense. I definitely felt like I was just sitting back in her class not accomplishing much, but that's largely what I was upset about. I have a hard time being at school and not being challenged. A lot of people don't like school, but I actually like the learning aspect. But if the material isn't pushing me mentally or seems bland, I quickly start looking for something that will make it harder, of all things.

I would rather be in an advanced art class where I have to push myself to get good like those around me than be in a simple class where I'm good compared to everyone around me but not getting better by a great margin. Does that make sense?
Yes, you sound like a more challenge driven person. But just becasue it's easy now doesn't mean it will not ramp up later on.
View all replies
I've only had a semester of formal art classes and my art teacher was awesome so I don't know how that feels. xD
I'm self taught, so I wouldn't know. I've only had a year total of formal art education.
My middle school art teacher wasn't an asshole, but he was bland from top to bottom.
Here's a touchin' story:
We were surrounding a table in art class, watching the teacher do a demonstration, many of us on our knees as there were not enough chairs. While the teacher was busy looking at her paper and shading for us, someone poked my friend in the back of the neck and he said "Jesus!"
The art teacher said "If you're going to talk to Jesus, then you had better be down on your KNEES!"
He actually was, not having a chair, so he just laughed. The art teacher made him stay after class and pray.
It was hilarious :y
That is so funny! She sounds like she was fun, or was it just that particular moment?
she was kind of mean, but she could be pretty funny like that.
In our school district art classes work like this:
Elementary: FUCKING FUN
Middle school: any artistic dreams go to die in the hands of a bi-polar diabetic hag.
High school(current):Where kids who were too stupid to make a schedule were thrown (usually jocks and ghetto people) and the talented have two fat old women screeching at them to paint the same way they do.

and thats why i taught myself
There weren't any art classes in my elementary school. The middle school art teacher's philosphy is that it's his job to get kids passionate about art. He takes the kids that seem lazy and disobedient and he teaches them art. I don't think there was a single person in any of his classes that didn't like him.

He wasn't perfect- it looked a tornado blew through the class everyday from the mess, and sometimes he would forget to finish some projects. But the classroom had the feel that if you dug through his crazily messy desk you'd find something inspirational in the back corner(that was another thing, he didn't mind it if kids went through his desks looking for art stuff. He never had anything valuable in there anyway).

And then I get up to the high school where I get to regularly see kids around me get turned off by art as she badgers them about their art. Some of these kids probably have never touched a paintbrush in their life but she doesn't take the time to work with them. She spent more time telling them to take their hats off than trying to help them individually. Some didn't even know what a blending stick was for and since she wouldn't teach them what is was I helped some of them out. That's another reason why I don't like her. It wasn't just me who didn't like the class; it was looking around and seeing everyone unhappy around me that turned me off big time.