January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 148

I don't like to read

:iconisawadeertoday:
ISawADeerToday Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
I don’t like to read.

*gasp!* You might say. Or rather, “You uncultured, idiot, how can you say that?”
But it’s the truth. Reading is boring as hell.

Let me clarify though—reading books is boring. I enjoy reading things like the news and forums. In my lit class, I really liked reading short stories and argumentative essays. Put a novel in my hand, though, and I fall asleep. Just the thought of sitting there for hours reading something so long is absolutely dreadful to me.

When I’m reading a novel, I just don’t feel like I’m accomplishing anything. I love engineering because my homework mainly consists of working out problems. Our reading assignments are important, yes, but we put emphasis on practice problems and projects. It’s fun because I’m actually actively doing or creating something.

And that brings up my next point. Compare:

“Ugh I hate math, it’s so hard and boring! Why would anyone do this?”
-“I know right? Math suuuuucks!”

“I hate reading, it’s so time-consuming and boring. Why does anyone like this?”
-“How can you not like reading? Reading is good for you!! You can’t live without it.”

Well to you people I say, math is the greatest thing ever. Differential equations? YES PLEASE. Why is it ok to hate on one subject but not the other, huh? This attitude seriously pisses me off. I should smack you with my calculus textbook. And believe me, that thing is heavy.

Some stupid things people have told me:

“You have to read for fun outside of class. It makes you smart, worldly, and better at writing.”
Me: I don’t read for fun outside of assignments I’m forced to complete, and I consistently get higher grades on essays and on literature exams than anyone else in the class. So clearly, not reading for fun has not been a detriment to my learning. I also read the news, so that’s enough worldliness for me.

“You just haven’t found a book that you like.”
Me: I have. I swear to god Harry Potter is the only book that has ever kept my attention. After about 4th grade, I haven’t really ever read any other books for fun.

Authors either bore me (do you really need to describe every rock and tree to the last detail?), piss me off (because they make their characters do stupid things), or the book is 600 pages long, and I want to know what happens NOW.

One final reason I don’t read for fun: I read enough stuff for class as it is. “I’m tired after reading this thermodynamics chapter… how should I relax? OH I SHOULD GO READ SOME MORE! /derp”… HELL NO.

tl;dr: I have to read a play for my literature class. It’s midnight, I have 20 pages left, and I can’t bring myself to do it. Who else hates reading?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
I want to read books but I don't have a good enough attention span. :saddummy:
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I don't care for reading but from some reason, I really like history. Much more then math and science actually.
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I myself have preferences. The last book I read in completion on my own will was back when I was 12 (so, almost 7 years ago). That said, I did thoroughly enjoy some required reading, such as Fahrenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, and anything by Shakespeare (mostly because of his way with words--I'm something of a language nut). Today, I'm reading through the Hobbit because I'm finding myself greatly invested in Tolkien's lore.

Overall, though? I hate reading books as well.

I still love reading, though, as evidenced by the fact that part of my morning routine is reading the most recent offerings of Cracked.com. Also, I love reading about tropes. Do you love reading about tropes? If not, then I'm sorry to sound like the person you vilify in your post, but you aren't human.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Fiction generally bores me, but there are some books on history that engage me. I mostly prefer short articles of a scientific nature.
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
I wish I was good at math! :dummy:
:iconcamera-wielding-fool:
Camera-wielding-fool Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
there are literally millions of books and you say only one series has kept your attention
you're not exactly trying
:iconabrigedfoamy:
Abrigedfoamy Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
you just need to read a book about how reading books is bad for you
:iconblackestfox:
BlackestFox Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Meh, nothing wrong with you if you don't like reading. It's not something you can be criticized for. I know plenty of people who also hate reading, not just novels, but reading in general. I personally love reading, I've read books for eight hours straight more then once. Different for everyone.
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Student Filmographer
I really used to love reading as a kid, but now I've gotten older, I find I just don't read literature anymore. I read the news and everything, but I find it hard to be motivated to trawl through good looking books and sitting down and reading them.
:iconisawadeertoday:
ISawADeerToday Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
That's sort of how I feel. Except I started reading less literature (outside assignments) in middle/high school. I just had so many hobbies and clubs that I considered to be much more fun.
Add a Comment: