Bank tellers need to shut up

There's a Wells Fargo bank inside my college bookstore where I deposit my checks. It used to be that I could walk in and complete a deposit transaction quickly and effortlessly and get on with my day. At some point in the past year, this stupid branch must have told all of it's employees that they need to become unreasonably involved in the affairs of their clients and have since spared no effort to bug the hell out of me any time I step up to the counter.

1) They ask you more small talk questions than anyone ever should. From the moment I initiate the mandatory conversation to get my deposit done, they feel like they HAVE to be engaged in dialogue until I leave the counter, usually by asking asinine questions like if I've already been to class or if I have more class later - who cares? Why are you trying to get to know me when we both know that as soon as I walk away you'll forget everything you just found out? You don't care, and I don't want to bother sharing information with someone whose interest in me is the result of their company's latest attempt to polish their image.
2) They always get ahold of your name and repeat it at the beginning of every freaking sentence (to make sure they seem like they're being personable).
Stan, how are you today, Stan? Stan are you on a break from classes? What did you have for lunch today Stan? Stan have you ever tried weigh-loss pills? Stan, does this look infected to you? If you have to repeat my name at the beginning of every sentence in order to remember it, it PROVES your disinterest in me
3) They get nosy into my affairs. I had a teller ask me what I did to earn the money for one of my checks. WTF? That's none of your beeswax. What if I had done a hit on somebody? What if I had touched somebody's butt? Or helped some illegal immigrants get sandwiches? It's none of your freaking business, especially not as my teller.

Go back to being impersonable and quit trying to win my trust with this fake garbage.
Comments130
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Oh, checks. I forgot about those.

Most of Europe hasn't used checks in 20 years. When is the USA going to get with the times? They don't even have the Visa electron chips in their cards. :no:
Forget the Visa chips - when are Americans going to learn how to make decent chocolate? I had some in Belgian and now everything else here tastes like crap.
I've never been able to eat Hershey's. That crap is made with milk powder. :stare:

Fazer is my favorite brand. :heart:

A friend of mine went to their factory on a field trip, and they had a room where he and the others were allowed to eat as much chocolate as he wanted (but not bring any out of the room with them). :drool:
So Heaven is a place on earth after all...
yeah they're such kiss asses aren't they?
Trust me, they hate having to ask about your day as much as you hate them asking. One of my friends is my bank teller. She's always relieved when I come through because she can drop the facade and not have to pretend to care about my day.
So what you're saying is I actually do need to become friends with everyone that works there so that its not awkward?
Just one or two. That way you can use them. It's easier. It's a win win for both parties. You don't get to be pestered too much with false friendliness/sales and they don't have to worry about pissing you off by treating you normally.

And it turned out that my banker was pretty awesome.
Tell them to shut up because you just want to get your deposit in and get on with your life. Also tell them that you don't care about their stupid questions. and that you have a busy life and you don't want to waist it on pointless stuff. If the manager comes by he'll feel bad after hearing those comments.
ATM deposit. No teller. No questions.
ATMs are for sissies!
Then I'm a sissy. Meanwhile you're inside in line, and furious to boot soooo...
Inside and warm. I live in Utah, and its freaking frozen outside.
I think you're the answer to your problem then ;)
Stan, ever heard of Direct Deposit?
It MAGICALLY sends your money into your account -- thru INVISIBLE cables!

College kids....
I have a black roommate that doesn't believe in machines. He pays me for the utility bill with a check. Can't take the magical DD train everywhere.
Heh. I work at McDonalds, so I get to see it from the other side. Especially in McCafe, which for all you strange foreigners is a coffee shop within McDonald's. We actually do barista made coffees, and toasties and all sorts of fun stuff. To try and make customers more comfortable and not as though we've forgotten about them we try and make small talk, or even remembering the orders of regular customers we serve. Ask how their day was etc. If there's a one word reply, you tend to quiet down. If they start talking, you keep up the conversation. You get a good four or five chatty customers in two hours, and it feels like you've only been working a quarter of that time. Hell, it used to unnerve me; but, these days even a customer using my name (it's on my name tag) tends to put a smile on my face. If they're regulars and they tell me their name, I try and remember it, and greet them by it. 
It's actually amazing when they use your name, isn't it? :la:
They sound like lonely people.

If they're wearing a name tag, try doing the same thing back to them before they have a chance to start the conversation!
They probably have to make small talk. I work at Walgreens and I have like 5 questions to ask EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER while they're checking out...plus now we have to extra nice and accost people with "hello how may I help you/can I help you find anything" as soon as they walk through the door...
Oh no. Can't have someone attempt to make conversation instead of awkward silence. Heaven forbid someone trying to be friendly with you. If you're that much of an ass and can't be bothered by a human being, why not just use the ATM?
Oh no. It's not a conversation if they're boss is forcing them to do it, it's a ploy to make the business seem like they care and its OBVIOUS when they talk to me.
Besides, ATMs are for pussies.