Closed to new replies
January 30, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 716

Noobs Tips to Oil Painting

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
5.) They don't plan their compositions. If you are going to do a oil painting you should know your palette and decide how to implement the principles of design. Noobs never sketch out their compositions and they just jump right in. This is wrong.

4.) They don't use references. References give your oil painting structure and takes off some of the strain of composition. Combining references is a great way to use them creatively.

3.) Dirty colors. When you paint, ALWAYS clean your brush after each pulled color. If you are going for vibrant colors this is a must. Lack of color control is one of the main noob mistakes.

2.) Using pure white for highlights and black for shadows. Pure white should never be used for highlights unless you are making an artistic point. Black should not be used either. Instead, you should mix white with a hint of chosen pigment and for shadows use deep purple or mixed blue and brown.

1.) Lack of drawing skills. Drawing is a fundamental element. IF you can't draw you should work on that because that means you will never be able to reach your full potential as an artist. Your oil painting will only be as successful as your drawing ability. Painting is the evolution of drawing. If you can draw you should learn or kiss your oil painting aspirations good bye.

And this brings me to my complaint, even though this list is concise and helpful, why are you going to scrutinize me? All that hate you have that you are manifesting, why? I am tired of noobs thinking they can be vocal and a critic when they don't even know what to do a partial contour drawing. I think people should humble down and study. But yeah, noobs will always exist but they should know their place.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpynasta:
Pynasta Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist
But... I started out with total rubbish, it's gotten less and less rubbish, and now, with some good will, it's "okay".
I hope to go to school with math, natural science, that stuff, and art, and then hopefully I'll be good one day.

But the point is, If nobody let me "waste" paper and pencils on making complete rubbish, it would still be that bad, but since I was allowed to do that, and still is, I'm improving!

:iconqinni:
Qinni Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
while you make some valid points, I can see why everyone's reacting the way they are; derogative attitudes breeds more hateful attitude. If you had a less of a high-horsed attitude about all of this and if your art appealed more to the masses or if you had a better drawing foundation, you'd probably have had a better response and more people would've actually listened rather than bash you back. So take your own advice and humble down and study...?
:iconmisuto-amami-mayu:
Misuto-Amami-Mayu Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Maybe, if you weren't arrogant and offensive, some people would listen to these tips. The entire way you wrote this thread makes us all think that, once again, you're trolling us all and trying to annoy the heck out of us. Honestly, it's getting quite boring. I used to look forward to reading your complaints and laughing at them (You), but know they're just plain boring.
What would also help is not using the term "noob". It's rude, and no one is going to want to listen to someone call them that. All artists are "noobs" at one point--You were too. Not everyone is a beginner forever, nor does anyone deserve to be called a degrading thing such as a noob.
:iconbazzyli:
Bazzyli Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Please stop using the word noob, that assumes that someone can "master" art. It doesn't matter how talented you art, artists are always learning and evolving. In ten years you may look back at work and say its shit. And someone with ten more years of experience than you could do the same and consider you a "noob".

And KNOW YOUR PLACE, a true artist would never claim to be the best and look down on others that are attempting to get better, even if they make mistakes.

That being said, your suggestions for improving upon painting skills are valid. I just wish your method of showing them wasn't so arrogant.
:iconprosiax:
Prosiax Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013
Please deactivate :)
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Filmographer
Hey Chauncey.

[link]

Reality's calling. It wants you to shut up.
:iconleafyloo:
leafyloo Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That song is so bad. :iconeyetwitchplz: That nearly hurt my ears!
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Student Filmographer
'nearly'?
:iconleafyloo:
leafyloo Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ok ok more like already made me deaf.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2013  Student Filmographer
:lol:
Add a Comment: