Noobs Tips to Oil Painting

5.) They don't plan their compositions. If you are going to do a oil painting you should know your palette and decide how to implement the principles of design. Noobs never sketch out their compositions and they just jump right in. This is wrong.

4.) They don't use references. References give your oil painting structure and takes off some of the strain of composition. Combining references is a great way to use them creatively.

3.) Dirty colors. When you paint, ALWAYS clean your brush after each pulled color. If you are going for vibrant colors this is a must. Lack of color control is one of the main noob mistakes.

2.) Using pure white for highlights and black for shadows. Pure white should never be used for highlights unless you are making an artistic point. Black should not be used either. Instead, you should mix white with a hint of chosen pigment and for shadows use deep purple or mixed blue and brown.

1.) Lack of drawing skills. Drawing is a fundamental element. IF you can't draw you should work on that because that means you will never be able to reach your full potential as an artist. Your oil painting will only be as successful as your drawing ability. Painting is the evolution of drawing. If you can draw you should learn or kiss your oil painting aspirations good bye.

And this brings me to my complaint, even though this list is concise and helpful, why are you going to scrutinize me? All that hate you have that you are manifesting, why? I am tired of noobs thinking they can be vocal and a critic when they don't even know what to do a partial contour drawing. I think people should humble down and study. But yeah, noobs will always exist but they should know their place.
Comments717
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
But... I started out with total rubbish, it's gotten less and less rubbish, and now, with some good will, it's "okay".
I hope to go to school with math, natural science, that stuff, and art, and then hopefully I'll be good one day.

But the point is, If nobody let me "waste" paper and pencils on making complete rubbish, it would still be that bad, but since I was allowed to do that, and still is, I'm improving!

while you make some valid points, I can see why everyone's reacting the way they are; derogative attitudes breeds more hateful attitude. If you had a less of a high-horsed attitude about all of this and if your art appealed more to the masses or if you had a better drawing foundation, you'd probably have had a better response and more people would've actually listened rather than bash you back. So take your own advice and humble down and study...?
Maybe, if you weren't arrogant and offensive, some people would listen to these tips. The entire way you wrote this thread makes us all think that, once again, you're trolling us all and trying to annoy the heck out of us. Honestly, it's getting quite boring. I used to look forward to reading your complaints and laughing at them (You), but know they're just plain boring.
What would also help is not using the term "noob". It's rude, and no one is going to want to listen to someone call them that. All artists are "noobs" at one point--You were too. Not everyone is a beginner forever, nor does anyone deserve to be called a degrading thing such as a noob.
Please stop using the word noob, that assumes that someone can "master" art. It doesn't matter how talented you art, artists are always learning and evolving. In ten years you may look back at work and say its shit. And someone with ten more years of experience than you could do the same and consider you a "noob".

And KNOW YOUR PLACE, a true artist would never claim to be the best and look down on others that are attempting to get better, even if they make mistakes.

That being said, your suggestions for improving upon painting skills are valid. I just wish your method of showing them wasn't so arrogant.
Please deactivate :)
Hey Chauncey.

[link]

Reality's calling. It wants you to shut up.
That song is so bad. :iconeyetwitchplz: That nearly hurt my ears!
Ok ok more like already made me deaf.
For a guy who is so willing to judge other artists for their lack of skill, your paintings are only semi-professional and overall mediocre.
you are not even an artist. what do you know?
I just know what I see because I actually have a little sister who is a great artist and a voice teacher who can paint AMAZINGLY well in addition to taking several trips to the Torpedo Factory. I KNOW that doesn't make me an artist because clearly I'm not one by any classical standard, but not being an actively creative painter does not make me completely unknowlegable about paintings. From what I see in your work, there are many areas that are lacking in concrete detail and the backgrounds in your art are usually bland monochromes; I don't know whether or not this is an intentional signature style, but it does get pretty boring pretty quickly. Also, from what I remember about seeing your paintings, it looks like you're TYRING to be an impressionist, but it just falls flat because it seems that you cannot decide between surrealism, impressionism, or just plain reality.

I'm sorry if I sound presumptous or rude, but I want to give you a serious answer because I respect that you take your work seriously, but if you REALLY want it to be taken seriously, you should be able to handle criticism from all kinds of people. This is especially true with my mother and I whenever I practice my voice. I USED to get very annoyed with her when she'd say things that I thought could not apply to me since she has no clue how to sing, but I listen to her AND my voice teacher carefully because, even though my mother doesn't sing, she is still somewhat knowlegable on what the voice SHOULD sound like after listening to me sing and listening to other singers.
Two things. You say my backgrounds are monochrome. I use monochrome backgrounds rarely.

Also, the style is expressionism. impressionism is painting with light. thats all it means. I am far from an impressionist.

But yeah, you have a right to an opinion but unless you know the techniques and thought behind certain styles of art, i am not going to take your criticism seriously. Just because you have your taste doesn't mean you know what you are talking about.
You don't need to know techniques to be able to tell if art is crap or not.
I thought certain paintings and drawings were crap before I learned techniques. So I learned them, just to be sure that it wasn't supposed to look that way, and I still think its crap. :lol:
I don't know whether or not expressionism is meant to look so harsh, but your paintings look VERY harsh overall. I don't care whether or not you take my criticism seriously or go on my "amazing" profile and compare it to your drawings which will obviously be better than mine; I only draw MS paint comics for shits and giggles anyways. All I'm saying is--since you take your art seriously--that I see some visually unpleasant things in your paintings like the uneven shading; again, I don't know whether or not that is a signature style of expressionism or not :shrug:

I thought of this all by myself five days after you said this! I am so proud :slow:
By Talos, go away. We have better trolls now.

Also, I am considered a 'n00b' at art in general, yet do not make any of the mistakes mentioned, and neither do a lot of my fellow students. Kindly stop being desperate and go away.
Thank you.
I'm surprised you're the only one that noticed that.
Nah I noticed I am just more of a Sanguine guy.