People treating DA like ImageShack or some trash heap.

Seriously. Every day I see tons of freshly uploaded game screenshots, YouTube comment screenshots, half-assed photo snapshots... Usually they're thrown into some absurd category, too. "Photography" for a game screenshot showing your cat in "The Sims 3"? Srsly?

I remember the old DeviantART, where people would actually upload good stuff. Or at lest stuff that required some artistic or technical effort on their part. Now it's mostly scribbles (ones I would expect from a seven year old, not somebody seriously interested in becoming an artist), screenshots, lackluster memes that wouldn't make it in the Internet mainstreeam (uploaded as "Text Art" or "Typography" - HELLO, did you read the category description?) and other assorted trash.

I might sound like a geezer... hell, I *know* I sound like a geezer. But for every new artist on DeviantART, there seems to be a hundred talentless hacks who can't even READ, not to mention submit something of value. Sometimes I wonder what's keeping me here, and I think it's mostly the memories of how great it used to be, and the hope that maybe one day I'll see DA return to its status as a #1 online artist community. I know it won't happen, but one can always hope.
Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Nostalgiafaggotry. :happycry:
Which makes you appreciate quality work even more! :la:
Agreed, though DA's reputation is FOREVER TARNISHED WITH THE SONIC, FURRY, OR SOME OTHER WEEABOO-FUEL TALENTLESS FAGGOTRY.
I need to get on that e-glove soon...
You've had an account for seven months and you're already talking about how things "used to be"?
I've had this account for seven months. I first came here eight years ago - so yes, I think I'm eligible to talk about "how things used to be".
If only someone had thought to complain about this before, we could have put an end to this problem.

Thank you for your innovation.
Let me repeat for the benefit of all the awesomesauce trolls who thought it would be fun to shit on me without actually reading and understanding the message:
"Every day I see tons of freshly uploaded game screenshots, YouTube comment screenshots, half-assed photo snapshots... Usually they're thrown into some absurd category, too. "Photography" for a game screenshot showing your cat in "The Sims 3"? Srsly?"
Also:
"...people would actually upload good stuff. Or at least stuff that required some artistic or technical effort on their part."

I understand that I am perhaps too low in the DA food chain to actually speak up and not be torn to pieces by you oh-so-wonderful artists, but seriously, learn to read.
At no point in my original post was I self-aggrandizing, or saying that I'm awesome. I'm less than mediocre at this point, mostly due to neglecting my skills over the last few years. What I'm complaining about is not stuff which has low artistic merit due to lack of the author's skill. I'm talking about things that don't belong on DA at all, because they took two seconds to snap, two minutes to scribble or a minute to type, with no artistic intent whatsoever.

Also, I did not point out any examples or mention any names. Therefore, I can only assume that people who dragged out my own works and tried to use them against me are not interested in discussion, and would rather stroke their egos with "oh, he's so unskilled compared to me, I am so fabulous".

Well, I applaud you. Your skills are infinitely better than mine. I hope that allows you to look in the mirror every day without thinking "Gee, maybe I should be a better person."

I other words, nice show of eristics. Too bad so few of the people here actually understood what I was venting about. But I'm not surprised. It's the Internet, after all.
half-assed photo snapshots...
... upload good stuff. Or at lest stuff that required some artistic or technical effort ...

Now it's mostly scribbles (ones I would expect from a seven year old, not somebody seriously interested in becoming an artist), ...and other assorted trash.

...a hundred talentless hacks who can't even READ, not to mention submit something of value.

You don't have to directly say that you think you're awesome, just the fact that you talk about talentless kids as if you're not included within them means you think you're better, when you're not.
We don't need to improve our reading, you need to stop being delusional.

As for your " two seconds to snap, two minutes to scribble or a minute to type, with no artistic intent whatsoever." - that is exactly what I think of every single thing within your gallery. None of it could've possibly taken you more than mere minutes, and none seem to have any artistic intent or value at all. What you see your work as will be forever different from what the public sees, just as you - as public - judge harshly on others, you will be judged upon. Not only due to your lack of artistry but also for your hypocrisy and undeserved holier than thou stance.
It's not that they don't understand you.

It's that it's old hat
Possibly the oldest of hats
I think I have enough to do tending my own garden without bitching about everyone else's.
Smell my fart please. :fart:
I lost count on how many times this thread has popped up in the complaints forum.
I've been here almost 8 years.

Nothing's changed but the website layout and the popular trends. :lmao:
Must be pretty awful to let that frustration eat at you like that. :nod:

If you keep looking out for it, it'll be everywhere you see. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. :B
i have to say, that complaning about this is just a waste of time
My raisin cookie bet seems to be winning :lmao:

:iconbigcookieplz:
Imma eat your raisin cookie, little girl.
please do :meow: I hate raisin cookies :evillaugh: