Why do we have some morbid curiosity for sickening things?

The severity of something you see can range from simply disgusting to outright horrid, sickening and extremely shocking.

I'm talking about when humans are in horrible situations - from somebody doing something disgusting in front of the camera (I'm sure you can figure out my reference) to a film of somebody actually losing their life or having serious harm inflicted on them where it causes them and those around them pain.

Why does it seem like people like to share sickening videos, even be entertained by it, like some sort of extreme version of 'You've Been Framed' ?
Of course I understand these extreme videos are shocking, not something you'll see in everyday life which sparks some sort of curiosity for them.. to watch them..
but why are we curious? why do people have this curiosity to be shocked and grossed out, rather than the more logical reaction of being disgusted and not watching or sharing anything of the sort?
Just writing this makes me angry. I'm not angry at any individual or human kind, just angry because I can't understand where this curiosity comes from..

sigh.
Comments128
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It depends on what you are talking about. If you are refering to things such as violent movies or video games, then - Most people can decern reality and fantasy. People who watch and enjoy horror movies are games are not sadists. They know it is fake and do not enjoy seeing real life sitiuations of violence happen to other people or them. If you have such a huge problem with it, then the ratings are there for a reason. Personally, I know it best to expose your children to these things early. I've been watching horror movies since I was six. I am now 17 and I am a pacifist. I love violent video games and horror movies though. I know its not real. I haven't seen a scary movie that actually scared me, unless if your talking about "jump" scares, like the ones you see on YouTube.
... Welcome to humanity?
Some people are just plain curious,which is fine, it's Pandora's fault for that.

Some people are just mentally insane, cursed, and sickened to the point of breaking madness.

It's just how people are raised and created.
Its odd. Just a part of us. Consider gladiator arenas, or how a family would all hop in their horse drawn wagon and leave early in the morning so they could get to town in time to see some dude get hung in the square.
I dont think its a new behavior, it just manifests differently now than it did in other periods of time.
It must be a way of making peace with one's own life(?)or unavoidable death... like a 'there but by the grace of god go I" kind of thing.
Or "better him than me."

Im getting my fix
from the old samurai flicks.
and kung fu movies.

(woah, that was almost a haiku!)
I agree that it's definitely not new! I'm glad you referenced back to the Gladiators. Makes me think of common public beheadings and hangings centuries back too.

(well done, heh!)
This morning I Googled "prolapsed uterus." Now I know what it looks like. There were even photos of animals with it.
Oh wow, that's something I wouldn't like to google!
Stop judging me for poking shit :crying:

But seriously, nfi.
Btw, I'm not judging you! :)
Pandora's Box, bro.
An image that is shocking is something you're not so familiar with that you've grown resistant to, that means it is very interesting by default. The difference between the people who watch it and the ones who don't despite finding it potentially interesting, is that some people are overwhelmed emotionally so they avoid it, and others aren't, so they don't.
I don't like horror movies. :grump:
I find it strange what bothers me. I can watch the most violent, gory horror films, surgeries, gross graphic stuff..but then a cartoon like Happy Tree Friends might actually churn my stomach. I think it's something about the blend of cuteness and gore that really sickens me. I can't watch those animal cruelty vids either... XD
What is Happy Tree Friends? a blend of cute and gore? O:
ya, that's exactly what it is. I can't watch it. The cute animals look like this (don't worry, nothing scary here): [link]

and horrible things happen to them, mostly accidents. Heads fly off, skin gets melted, fur burns off, eyeballs pop out, blood flies.. it's awful X_X Some people really get a kick out of it.. I just feel kinda sick :f
Oh dear! I love cutie animals like that, I can't watch that happen to them, even if it's a cartoon :( But I definitely wouldn't be as shocked as a real life video. Maybe just a bit saddened!
I don't think I could watch either, unless it's a case of predator and prey in nature.. but even then, I can't always watch.
It's called "catharsis." [link]
I'm sure my literature teacher will be pleased to hear I've been using her lessons to solve internet dilemmas :XD: