O RLY?...So You Think Art is NOT a Natural Talent????

...I hate to tell you but you may be wrong. Even though I was not serious about art back in the day, it is something that I have always done. I always knew I could draw. I was in the special art enrichment programs that only the best artists could be in in elementary school. Art is NOT a skill...its a talent. If you have the ability i say pursue it. If you dont, do it as a hobby but i assure you you will have a hard time trying to compete if you pursue it as a career. And for you stellar artists that think you have a skill you worked at but didn't, stop trying to placate noobs and tell them the truth. ART IS A NATURAL TALENT!
Comments573
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Your natural talent is drawing?

PFFFFT

DICK WEED, STOP STEALING MY ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bet art isn't your natural talent. :B
Sorry, but the OP has me blocked. @illastrat: Actually, art CAN be a skill. With the right amount of studying and practice, it can BECOME a talent. What you're suggesting is that artistic ability is something you're born with; that is a bogus statement. According to Jack Hamm in my book Drawing the Head and Figure, if you can write your name, you can draw.
Don't worry about it ;D

Most are 90% certain that he's just some kind of troll. :nod:
Indeed; I would be willing to agree, but he has artwork in his gallery. I think that leaves a 55% that he's serious about what he's saying. Either way, he is not even close to anywhere NEAR as skilled as the bastard thinks he is.
True, true. Said this before in one of his many other threads: his style looks like nothing more than an excuse to avoid any sort of detail and basic lighting. :shrug: I'm really not a fan.
telling people that are new to art that it isn't a skill that can be learned and it isn't their fault they suck is more likely to placate them, actually

P.S. you're dumb and your threads are dumb
people with a natural art talent have it easier but if you practice really really hard you can be good without any talent too!
Well I see your point but to be honest art is not a natural talent, it is something that requires skill that can take many years. I have seen master artist that started out with stick figures but now are advanced professionals, one artist in particular on conceptart.org started off with doodle and it took him 7 years. If you ask any master or advance artist how long it takes them to do their art they will say hours,weeks or even months if it was such a natural talent like singing then they would be able to do a masterpiece effortlessly. Perhaps that the only thing that appears to be a sign of "talent" is how quick it takes one to acquire a certain skill level. Some learn quicker than others like I have been drawing for like 2 years now and I never started with stick figures but some artist do but it doesn't matter how one starts with hard-work anyone can become a great artist.
I can't even draw a circle.....if this means anything XD
I think it's a mix of both, you have innate talent that needs to be properly harnessed and trained to reach maximum potential. People with natural ability that isn't skilling up might also want to not bother pursuing.
Polishing a turd serves no purpose (and is quite messy) but polishing a raw diamond can make it worth more or at least make it look prettier.
Also a chunk of raw diamond is indistinguishable from hardened glass slagg. Well at least to the untrained eye. The term "Diamond in the rough" pretty much.

That being said a chunk of raw glass can be cut to look as pretty as a diamond too.
ART IS A NATURAL TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHUT UP YOU ALL ARE WRONG1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, I'm confused.
//If// you're implying that being artistic is a Genetic trait and only some have it 'naturally',

I welcome you into a world where no one will ever take your opinion with a pinch of salt.
as an aspiring teacher, i would have to disagree. While the people with natural talent generally go further, since they are constantly being told they are great, those who are not naturally talented can be just as great as artists. to me, art is relative. What one person sees as true art can be complete garbage to another. in reality, most everything is art.

plus, creating art is something personal and fulfilling that helps people identify themselves. telling another person that they can never accomplish art is subjecting them to fracture. As for pursuing art as a career, it is damn hard. you need the right style, the right training, the right audience and even if you are amazing, you could end up being pushed aside for others you deem as 'untalented'. Art needs to be trained. If a talented person can stop growing.

telling aspiring artists to keep creating is an important thing to do as an established artist when people are consistently being told it is useless. don't tell them its going to be easy, its never going to be easy, but never tell a person to stop creating art. its essentially telling them to stop being themselves.
I know people who are the first of their family to pick up a pencil and some paper and put pictures onto paper. I can admit I am not the first, nor will i be the last. My dad used to draw, so did my mom. My great grand parents used to as well, and so on.

But.. science never proved that your ability to learn or draw IS linked genetically. Anyone can be taught everything about art, and some can pick up a pencil and do it, some cannot. I know this. But being able to draw takes patience and control. If you cannot control the medium in your hand, you cannot put it down on paper as an illustration. And also.. Some just cannot visualize things. That is why Writing is an art as well. Same as photography. Still art.
I'm really with you on that one
Oh LadyALT. The delusional toy loving freak.
actually I don't agree now

I know he's not real but I have a right to like something like everyone else does
so it's off subject to cal me a freak I was born a freak with freedom
FREAK! U RNT AN ARTIST THEREFORE YOU'RE INVALID!
you don't know wtf is art retarded dumb fuck anyone agree with me over this trolling bastard?