Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 575

O RLY?...So You Think Art is NOT a Natural Talent????

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
...I hate to tell you but you may be wrong. Even though I was not serious about art back in the day, it is something that I have always done. I always knew I could draw. I was in the special art enrichment programs that only the best artists could be in in elementary school. Art is NOT a skill...its a talent. If you have the ability i say pursue it. If you dont, do it as a hobby but i assure you you will have a hard time trying to compete if you pursue it as a career. And for you stellar artists that think you have a skill you worked at but didn't, stop trying to placate noobs and tell them the truth. ART IS A NATURAL TALENT!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnicholai-nii:
Nicholai-nii Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Your natural talent is drawing?

PFFFFT

:iconimanartistplz:
imanartistplz Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
DICK WEED, STOP STEALING MY ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:iconxannijn:
Xannijn Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Student Filmographer
I bet art isn't your natural talent. :B
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Sorry, but the OP has me blocked. @illastrat: Actually, art CAN be a skill. With the right amount of studying and practice, it can BECOME a talent. What you're suggesting is that artistic ability is something you're born with; that is a bogus statement. According to Jack Hamm in my book Drawing the Head and Figure, if you can write your name, you can draw.
Xannijn Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Student Filmographer
Don't worry about it ;D

Most are 90% certain that he's just some kind of troll. :nod:
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Indeed; I would be willing to agree, but he has artwork in his gallery. I think that leaves a 55% that he's serious about what he's saying. Either way, he is not even close to anywhere NEAR as skilled as the bastard thinks he is.
Xannijn Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013  Student Filmographer
True, true. Said this before in one of his many other threads: his style looks like nothing more than an excuse to avoid any sort of detail and basic lighting. :shrug: I'm really not a fan.
illastrat Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
huh... funny
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
telling people that are new to art that it isn't a skill that can be learned and it isn't their fault they suck is more likely to placate them, actually

P.S. you're dumb and your threads are dumb
illastrat Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
lol
:iconinabasheart:
InabasHeart Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
people with a natural art talent have it easier but if you practice really really hard you can be good without any talent too!
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
:fart:
:iconmadame-rien:
Madame-Rien Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013
Well I see your point but to be honest art is not a natural talent, it is something that requires skill that can take many years. I have seen master artist that started out with stick figures but now are advanced professionals, one artist in particular on conceptart.org started off with doodle and it took him 7 years. If you ask any master or advance artist how long it takes them to do their art they will say hours,weeks or even months if it was such a natural talent like singing then they would be able to do a masterpiece effortlessly. Perhaps that the only thing that appears to be a sign of "talent" is how quick it takes one to acquire a certain skill level. Some learn quicker than others like I have been drawing for like 2 years now and I never started with stick figures but some artist do but it doesn't matter how one starts with hard-work anyone can become a great artist.
:icondr-vergissmeinnicht:
Dr-Vergissmeinnicht Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I can't even draw a circle.....if this means anything XD
:iconazza9:
Azza9 Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013
I think it's a mix of both, you have innate talent that needs to be properly harnessed and trained to reach maximum potential. People with natural ability that isn't skilling up might also want to not bother pursuing.
Polishing a turd serves no purpose (and is quite messy) but polishing a raw diamond can make it worth more or at least make it look prettier.
Also a chunk of raw diamond is indistinguishable from hardened glass slagg. Well at least to the untrained eye. The term "Diamond in the rough" pretty much.

That being said a chunk of raw glass can be cut to look as pretty as a diamond too.
imanartistplz Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
ART IS A NATURAL TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHUT UP YOU ALL ARE WRONG1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:icontibban:
Tibban Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Wait, I'm confused.
//If// you're implying that being artistic is a Genetic trait and only some have it 'naturally',

I welcome you into a world where no one will ever take your opinion with a pinch of salt.
:iconbazzyli:
Bazzyli Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
as an aspiring teacher, i would have to disagree. While the people with natural talent generally go further, since they are constantly being told they are great, those who are not naturally talented can be just as great as artists. to me, art is relative. What one person sees as true art can be complete garbage to another. in reality, most everything is art.

plus, creating art is something personal and fulfilling that helps people identify themselves. telling another person that they can never accomplish art is subjecting them to fracture. As for pursuing art as a career, it is damn hard. you need the right style, the right training, the right audience and even if you are amazing, you could end up being pushed aside for others you deem as 'untalented'. Art needs to be trained. If a talented person can stop growing.

telling aspiring artists to keep creating is an important thing to do as an established artist when people are consistently being told it is useless. don't tell them its going to be easy, its never going to be easy, but never tell a person to stop creating art. its essentially telling them to stop being themselves.
:iconasklaytorest:
AskLayToRest Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I know people who are the first of their family to pick up a pencil and some paper and put pictures onto paper. I can admit I am not the first, nor will i be the last. My dad used to draw, so did my mom. My great grand parents used to as well, and so on.

But.. science never proved that your ability to learn or draw IS linked genetically. Anyone can be taught everything about art, and some can pick up a pencil and do it, some cannot. I know this. But being able to draw takes patience and control. If you cannot control the medium in your hand, you cannot put it down on paper as an illustration. And also.. Some just cannot visualize things. That is why Writing is an art as well. Same as photography. Still art.
:iconlady-alternate:
Lady-ALTernate Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm really with you on that one
imanartistplz Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Oh LadyALT. The delusional toy loving freak.
Lady-ALTernate Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
actually I don't agree now

I know he's not real but I have a right to like something like everyone else does
so it's off subject to cal me a freak I was born a freak with freedom
imanartistplz Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
FREAK! U RNT AN ARTIST THEREFORE YOU'RE INVALID!
Lady-ALTernate Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you don't know wtf is art retarded dumb fuck anyone agree with me over this trolling bastard?
:iconkalmek182:
Kalmek182 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Since when was talent a genetic trait...
Now! Back to the drawing board to practice art with my special art enrichment buddies.
:icongiogiogio4:
Giogiogio4 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Same stupid argument whenever it comes to Musicians.

Sorry but your not born with 10,000 hours of muscle memory built into your hands and arms. You weren't born with years of theory, practice and trail and error programmed into your brain. All the music that inspired you and shape you as a musician didn't magically pop into your DNA.

people study, practice and work hard to get where they are. Nothing else to it.

It's like saying Body builders have natural talent...because we all know they came out of their mothers bench pressing 800 pounds.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
lol Well Athena popped out of her daddy's head wearing armor and carrying a shield and spear =D. And Apparently Pan Ku bench pressed the heavens when he was a day old.
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Natural talent ain't got nothing to do it. Sheer raw obstinacy is what got me here and sheer raw obstinacy is gonna make me stay and TAKE OVER THE WORLD! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :iconprussiaplz:
illastrat Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
lol...if you say so
I shall and when I do I shall decree TOGAS and the formal dress for ALL public functions!
all i have to say is....

:pray:
what? Togas are cute.
Flagged as Spam
i am debating whether i should block you
:iconwinxclubgirl:
Winxclubgirl Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Tired of hearing the truth? You'd think that after everyone in the forums told you that you're wrong you might actually take the hint.
Flagged as Spam
you're the one become emotionally distraught.
Flagged as Spam
you simply don't get it. I am judging the ability to catch on and grow. Of course babies aren't born painting like picasso. But some people have a genetic inclination that allows them to progress faster and learn quicker.
:iconodomi2:
Odomi2 Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Thatīs called the "Brush" gen, scientists are studying it now.
I wonder if we have a gen for maths or physics... that would explain a lot.
:iconruinedmirage:
ruinedmirage Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Then by that logic, art itself isn't the talent. The talent lies in "comprehension".
illastrat Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
no....talent lies in innate ability. skill lies in comprehension
:iconquisquose:
Quisquose Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Okay. I see where you are coming from with the genetics thing, but you have to understand that it is not the actual talent that is carried in the DNA, it's the aptitude for it. It's just like personality- You are not born with a specific personality- just a certain way that you react to stimulants that shapes it. Otherwise clones and identical twins would act, think, and feel in exactly the same ways, and they don't. Scientists today are still trying to understand this fully, what we have now is just a theory.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Art is not a natural talent. Being artistic is.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
you're worthless
:iconkrazzulimaii:
Krazzulimaii Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you ever read the book 'The Talent Code'? I think you would appreciate what it has to say.

Now, I'm not sure if I would call it a 'natural talent', but more of an extreme interest in a subject. Because you are so interested in a subject, you take in more and can learn faster. I wouldn't quite say that someone can be born already possessing the ability to do something others can't.
:iconkrazzulimaii:
Krazzulimaii Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
From reading the comments, I would also suggest the book 'Mindset'.
:iconsevmd:
SEVMD Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't really want to admit that art is a natural talent. I've seen people whose drawing has literally no talent at all but after a few years of watching them struggle, they are far better than me... and much better than you. Its just hard work and suffering to reach that level. it took my whole lifetime to reach my drawing level now, if I had talent surely I would have excelled much faster.

I have to admit to all the other comments, not all the time the skill of art is in the blood. Sometimes we start from scratch and work our way up to be at the standard we are now.

Basically if you have talent in it, use it well but that does not mean you can surpass everyone who does not have talent.
i want to see their art. link me to them
:iconsevmd:
SEVMD Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
They don't use deviantart sadly, they are not the type who sits on the computer everyday like me.

However if you had a proper look around deviantart you will notice people younger than you who are far better than me or you.

I'm not going to push around and force my opinion on you because what we believe is different. After all, this is a complaint forum and you have opened yourself to insults and criticism.

Your art is good and even if I've not been around deviantart longer than you I've seen other people who worked for years to be at the standard they are now. I don't have to link you anyone, you can easily see on the main page or the daily deviation.

I believe that if I continue to debate with you I will get into trouble and this is a complaint fourm, I have no say. Thus your next reply will be my last because I have no intent of starting a fight here like you have done so with the others( I believe intentionally)
Add a Comment: