Closed to new replies
January 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 587

Intelligent people

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
...don't feel the need to constantly prove their intelligence with ubersmart posts.

For some reason 2013 has been the year of 'if ur so smart how come u swear/use chatspeak.' (Okay, it was all in complete sentences, but that's how it looks in my headcanon. NO this is not off anything in the forums.)

I have no idea where this came from. But. Dude. If I really wanted to impress you, I'd put my fucking university, course of study, GPA, and (to really overdo it) how old I was when I graduated in my signature. And then like a quote from fucking Descartes or maybe St Augustine for extra-douche, because Plato is too mainstream.

tl;dr AH DO WHAT AH WANT

If you thought this post was going to be bitching about intelligent people, you owe me a cookie.

If you think people who bitch about swearing and minor use of chatspeak are intelligent, you owe me your soul.

:P

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkorukikonaru:
Funny thing is, swearing can in a way make me sound a bit smarter, because I don't fuck up my speaking when I swear.
I don't look down on people who swear consistently (unless you're randoming adding fuck three times every two sentences, then you sound like a moron); in fact, masterful use of foul language is to be admired! I do, however, not think very highly of chatspeak, but that's just because I can't stand to see improper grammar and spelling.
neurotype Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Does it? I dunno, I think the only people who give two shits about swearing don't want to see it at all. At least from my experience.

Yeah, if it fucks readability it's not okay.

I constantly restrain myself from thinking about other people's spelling/grammar. I could out-Nazi most grammar Nazis, but I'd rather not. D:
I should point out that I'm referring to when I actually talk as opposed to when I type. I often don't pronounce words correctly, can't entirely convey what I mean or try to say two different words at once, so anything that can help me speak properly I will employ whenever possible.
I tried using chatspeak when I first got a mobile phone, but I died a little inside every time I tried so now I just use whole English.
neurotype Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ahhhh. Okay, that makes a bit more sense ;p

It actually takes me longer to type chatspeak than regular words, so. Yeah. I didn't put in vowels before I had a full keyboard on my phone, which is how I show my love to my friends.
Though if I typed exactly how I spoke, I would sound far less intelligent. I'm in a habit of conjoining two words more than I should and leaving "g"s off the ends of words. Also I refer to everyone as dude, bro and man, regardless of gender.
To think that chatspeak is supposed to be a way of writing messages faster.
neurotype Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, the way I'm typing here is actually how I talk, just with fewer dropped syllables.

:P
:iconstaple-salad:
I have a strong dislike for chatspeak being used outside of texting and I have a good reason: I review things submitted for publication and sometimes they have chatspeak in them. This is stuff outside of the internet and done formally. And it looks terrible.
neurotype Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Wait, what. What sort of publication are we talking :stare:
:iconstaple-salad:
Paper. I don't do letters to the editor or editorials (so it's not from crazy people raving about how the gov'ment is taking away their cats/lobsters/guns/microchips/etc either).
neurotype Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I assume you mean newspaper and not like journal papers. :B

So are these articles that random people are submitting? I can't imagine anyone with journalist training thinking that's a good idea.
Add a Comment: