Textbooks

I go back to university next month. I want to get my textbooks second hand, so I'm trying to find out what I need. All good, right?

Nope.

The textbook search on my university's bookshop website opened two weeks ago. According to my universities bookshop website, 3 of my classes don't exist.

So I will probably have to race around last minute to get my books and waste so much money in the process. Last semester, my textbooks cost 500 dollars.

:iconstareshakeplz:
Comments66
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My booklist screwed up and said I needed two books that I didn't end up needing. Which kind of sucks, since secondhand those two books were $35ish and the electronic textbook I actually needed was $75 and literally impossible to get secondhand. And I was less than 24 hours late to get a full refund from the little store I got them at.
I'm trying to put off looking at textbooks for as long as possible. Last year I paid over $220 for my contracts books alone.

:stare:
I take it there is no option to buy them digitally? :noes:
How can I buy them digitally if I don't know the names of the books? :ohnoes:
Ah, that is a problem indeed.... :p
This is why I plan not to buy textbooks.
textbooks come in handy when you're out working in my field. :shrug:
Books are expensive, but you can get a lot of use out of them even after you've graduated. :)
I never bought my books before class. About half the time my classes never used the "required" books.
My parents payed all my books and tuition fees, and still had money left for a generous allowance :bucktooth:
Same here, but it's hardly rare in Belgium with all of our school funding. :lol:
I guess, in a way I was spoiled.. but I think it's cause they felt obligated to try and make up for the past - or something like that :shrug:
Textbooks have been murder on me this semester. I'm a Biological Sciences major, and now that I'm taking classes specific to my major, my text book bill came out to about $300 per class. Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to pull $700 from my financial aid before its released to pay for books at the college bookstore. Classes start on Monday, and the Financial aid office is taking its sweet time releasing funds. Every other institution has had financial aid released to students for a couple weeks now. Wish mine would get its shit together. I need my books.
My science class last year required me to get clothing that was fit to work in the bush with (long pants, long sleeves, hat, bug spray, sun screen, enclosed shoes) two paper booklets costing 50 dollars each (There is no way that printing out 100 pages and stapling them together costs more than 15 dollars :iconstareshakeplz:) and a two hundred dollar textbook

I get a scholarship, but it usually doesn't come until march or may, which is no real help :s
Thankfully, I don't have any labs this semester, so all I've had to cover is textbooks. Unfortunately, one of those classes requires an access code, So I can't do a thing with my classes til I get paid. Also figured out what the hold up is on my aid. Apparently the Financial aid office released funds to the cashiers, and then the cashiers had a massive fuck-up, dispersed to the wrong semester, and now they can't get it back. There's problems every semester with the financial aid. I look forward to transferring once this semester is over.
Since I was in the honors section of a class, the website listed me as having the wrong professor. Guess what? I bought the wrong $200 textbook, and now they're out of used ones and it's too late to buy anywhere but from the overpriced university bookstore. D:
When I studied in France, I had to buy a 35€ textbook, and my French friend told me that that was super expensive. I was like, are you kidding me? I'd kill to have textbooks for that cheap.
If I were you, I'd e-mail the professors and ask them what you need to buy.
I spent a couple hundred dollars on text books within my first year and haven't had to buy a single book for any of my classes since. I love art school :B
Ah yes, the biannual tradition of dropping massive amounts of money on what are essentially glorified door stops. That's one part of college I don't miss.
Schools seem very unorganized..
I'm not sure what my textbook requirements for university are going to be, but I do know that I'm going to need to buy my own tools and materials :grump: I guess that's what happens when you take a practical course.