Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 65

Textbooks

:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I go back to university next month. I want to get my textbooks second hand, so I'm trying to find out what I need. All good, right?

Nope.

The textbook search on my university's bookshop website opened two weeks ago. According to my universities bookshop website, 3 of my classes don't exist.

So I will probably have to race around last minute to get my books and waste so much money in the process. Last semester, my textbooks cost 500 dollars.

:iconstareshakeplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   Traditional Artist
My booklist screwed up and said I needed two books that I didn't end up needing. Which kind of sucks, since secondhand those two books were $35ish and the electronic textbook I actually needed was $75 and literally impossible to get secondhand. And I was less than 24 hours late to get a full refund from the little store I got them at.
:iconmousebirds:
Mousebirds Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
I'm trying to put off looking at textbooks for as long as possible. Last year I paid over $220 for my contracts books alone.

:stare:
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I take it there is no option to buy them digitally? :noes:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
How can I buy them digitally if I don't know the names of the books? :ohnoes:
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Feb 8, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Ah, that is a problem indeed.... :p
:iconsilverfangotaku:
SilverFangOtaku Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
This is why I plan not to buy textbooks.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
textbooks come in handy when you're out working in my field. :shrug:
:iconsahidenethare:
SahidenEthare Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   Writer
Books are expensive, but you can get a lot of use out of them even after you've graduated. :)
Exactly.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist
I never bought my books before class. About half the time my classes never used the "required" books.
:iconpuzzledheartbox:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
My parents payed all my books and tuition fees, and still had money left for a generous allowance :bucktooth:
Same here, but it's hardly rare in Belgium with all of our school funding. :lol:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I know :bucktooth:
:D
Holy fuck, lucky :lol:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I guess, in a way I was spoiled.. but I think it's cause they felt obligated to try and make up for the past - or something like that :shrug:
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Textbooks have been murder on me this semester. I'm a Biological Sciences major, and now that I'm taking classes specific to my major, my text book bill came out to about $300 per class. Unfortunately, I'm only allowed to pull $700 from my financial aid before its released to pay for books at the college bookstore. Classes start on Monday, and the Financial aid office is taking its sweet time releasing funds. Every other institution has had financial aid released to students for a couple weeks now. Wish mine would get its shit together. I need my books.
My science class last year required me to get clothing that was fit to work in the bush with (long pants, long sleeves, hat, bug spray, sun screen, enclosed shoes) two paper booklets costing 50 dollars each (There is no way that printing out 100 pages and stapling them together costs more than 15 dollars :iconstareshakeplz:) and a two hundred dollar textbook

I get a scholarship, but it usually doesn't come until march or may, which is no real help :s
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Thankfully, I don't have any labs this semester, so all I've had to cover is textbooks. Unfortunately, one of those classes requires an access code, So I can't do a thing with my classes til I get paid. Also figured out what the hold up is on my aid. Apparently the Financial aid office released funds to the cashiers, and then the cashiers had a massive fuck-up, dispersed to the wrong semester, and now they can't get it back. There's problems every semester with the financial aid. I look forward to transferring once this semester is over.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Since I was in the honors section of a class, the website listed me as having the wrong professor. Guess what? I bought the wrong $200 textbook, and now they're out of used ones and it's too late to buy anywhere but from the overpriced university bookstore. D:
When I studied in France, I had to buy a 35€ textbook, and my French friend told me that that was super expensive. I was like, are you kidding me? I'd kill to have textbooks for that cheap.
If I were you, I'd e-mail the professors and ask them what you need to buy.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
I spent a couple hundred dollars on text books within my first year and haven't had to buy a single book for any of my classes since. I love art school :B
:iconlobosabio:
LoboSabio Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Ah yes, the biannual tradition of dropping massive amounts of money on what are essentially glorified door stops. That's one part of college I don't miss.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Schools seem very unorganized..
:iconkorukikonaru:
KorukiKonaru Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I'm not sure what my textbook requirements for university are going to be, but I do know that I'm going to need to buy my own tools and materials :grump: I guess that's what happens when you take a practical course.
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
i feel you! im going to have to do the same thing
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional
... My god.

How DO people do college??

All this bullshit with balls-expensive textbooks and shit? It's MADDENING.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
If it makes you feel better, that still sounds like a better system than what we have. You basically have to find used books yourself through sketchy students.

Luckily I'm an art student. My most expensive textbook was $150, I bought it for $110 on amazon.
The bookstore doesn't handle second hand books, at all. So if we want second hand books, we have to source them ourselves :ohnoes:
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So I'm taking two art classes this semester. One is 3D Art 2, and the other is Environmental Design. The same professor teaches both classes. Instead of a textbook, he requires us to buy a one-month subscription to DigitalTutors, which only costs $45. Given the alternative of likely having to buy a textbook for each class, and then rarely using it, I prefer this alternative.

Yesterday we signed up for the site for my Environmental class, and today we did it for the 3D class, but since I did it yesterday, I didn't have to do it. Anyway, this girl that sits next to me told the professor that she couldn't do it yesterday (she has both classes as well), so you'd figure it was probably because she didn't have her credit card info. Today, she can't sign up for it. She says she won't be getting paid until the end of the month, and she has no money until then :stare:

So then the professor asks what she's doing about textbooks for other classes, and she says she has to wait to buy those until the end of the month too! :lol: Some people are terrible when it comes to money management :no:
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student Filmographer
One of my mate's maintainance loan came in the other week and he pretty much blew it all on crap immediately.
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's what I imagine this girl has been doing :no: She's just one of those people that has to buy all sorts of gimmicky stuff.
:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Odd, that's almost how much I paid for my books for this semester.
:iconcelestialsheep:
CelestialSheep Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You buy textbooks from your university?

You're more of a man than I am. I use Amazon. I actually like money.
The bookshop is where the textbook lists are posted, so even if you don't want to buy it from the bookshop, you need to go there to see what you need. :shrug:

I'd like to buy my textbook through Amazon and/or other online and second hand sources, which is why I'm trying to find out what I need now, because Amazon purchases can take up to a month to get here.
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Your university doesn't have an online page for the bookstore yet? :O
I meant I had to visit the online store :paranoid:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
That makes it easy. Copy paste the ISBN numbers of the books you need into Amazon. =P
Pretty hard to do that when I don't have the title or the ISBN...
Nephenee Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
My mistake. I was under the impression you could search out the books for your classes on the online bookstore and copy them from there like my university was. :shrug:
I should be able to... but 3 of my classes supposedly don't exist, one does, but supposedly doesn't have a book, and another has an obscure book that I can't find anywhere else.

I supposedly have one book this semester... last semester I had 6 books. I'm assuming they've fucked up, not that I've suddenly not got a lot of books :s
:iconcelestialsheep:
CelestialSheep Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ohhhhhh, I see what you mean now. Well, at a time like this if you have the e-mail of a professor I would ask them directly.

That's how I found out a book needed this year actually! I cheat. XD
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:hug:

That's the suckiest part of a new semester; all those expensive books and compendiums.
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Filmographer
One of my classes didn't exist on our bookstore either. :confused: Luckily the other time for the same class/prof was on there.

As it turns out, it's possible for us to use really old editions that are super cheap for that class, but unless we pay for expedited shipping they won't be here for like, ever. :noes: And using the ones from the bookstore or library doesn't seem plausible.
:iconnudedoctor:
NudeDoctor Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Without getting books used, I think my cheapest semester's worth of books was $200. Used books are a godsend, if you can actually use them (and don't have a professor that makes you buy the brand new version that just came out, and doesn't actually have any new information...)
:iconfullmetal-animator:
Fullmetal-Animator Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Well, SHIT! That won't do. :L
:icondruid69:
druid69 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
My last two semesters books have cost me a little over $500 each semester, and, last semester none of them expensive ones were being used again, so I couldn't even sell them back. Books are such a racket these days.
My bookstore doesn't even handle second hand books, which is why I need time to find them.
:icondruid69:
druid69 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I've only been able to find one book in the last 3 semesters that was used to buy. That was still marked up to within a few dollars of the brand new price.
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student General Artist
I have the same problem with my College. And, to make it worse, I discovered last semester that the books listed in the school bookstore aren't always right. So now I have to e-mail every single one of my teachers, on break, wait for them to get back to me about what books we need, then order them and hope they get there before school starts. And most of the teachers just send me to the bookstore despite my explaining that I've had issues with the book store not having the right books. So now I kind of just have to order and hope.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Probably the professors haven't registered with the bookstore yet. They probably have a deadline to meet and some do it at the last minute.
Add a Comment: