Work Experience

I'm doing a course at the moment. Computer Applications and Office Skills. Focusing on Microsoft Office programs, office administration skills and that sort of thing.

Anyway, the final module of the course is 4 weeks of work experience. The recruitment company that we're doing the course with refuse to help or give us any information about companies that might be hiring or willing to take on work experience people.

If we don't get work experience, we are thrown off the course. And then spend the month not being paid and fighting with the welfare system to get some kind of payment to pay rent and bills and you know, live.

I've tried 23 places in the last 3 weeks. 8 have gotten back to me to say "lol no sarry" and the rest haven't bothered to even reply.

Will be living in a box this time next month. Yep.
Comments45
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I experienced the exact same thing when was I completing a course two years ago and it was horrible =(. I had to find and secure my own practicum and It took me a year to eventually find two places who were willing to take me on to do so. The two places who accepted me were in really dodgy parts of town too :/. I know it might sound far fetched but perhaps if you can suss out any places looking to hire in dodgy locations maybe you might be able to secure something with them? They'd most likely be desperate to take someone on, let alone have someone working temporarily for free :shrug:. That being said best of luck to you and I hope someone takes you on soon!
Oh man I've even done that. There are fair dodgy parts of this city and even those kind of places won't take me. :(
Thank you though!!
Well damn i got no witty response to this. That sucks.
Yeah it really does. :(
That is ridiculous. I would report to the board of education about that.
Do you happen to know any past pupils who have taken the course who might be able to give a had?
Abuse family contacts, get aunts and cousins and all to all friends or work associates if they know anyone who would be willing to give you a placement. You never know you could end up somewhere you never would have pictured.
Hang in there =)
That's the thing, it's a FÁS course, and it's the first time this one has been run. And also, I live in Galway now, but all of my "contacts" are in Clare, so I'm fucked either way.
Thank you. :)
Well can't you go to Clare for the week, are they being silly and limiting the area in which you can look for jobs?
Limiting the area, except for "special cases". Basically the one guy who moved down here from Sligo just for the course.
And because I've lived her independently for over a year, I'm not a special circumstance.
I'm sorry but they are ridiculous. How are they expecting people to get anything at all or is it their plan to weed people off the course? That is actually harder than getting a job, where you have the freedom to go where you want.
Would you be able to get experience in Clare? I'd say if someone could offer you a place in Clare, make an argument with your tutors that there's garunteed opportunities there and they should be limiting you.
That's when you harass the company.
Or file a complaint against them.
Most people can't find jobs right now.

Didn't they supply you with a list of potential businesses? Surely they've worked with others in the past.
We asked for it, but they said because we're "not registered with the recruitment company" (even though we've spent the last 5 months working in their building), they won't give us a list of hiring businesses. So instead we have to piss into the wind and hope somewhere haaaaaappens to need the staff.
That's ridiculous, especially in this economy.
Good luck. :hmm:

Can't say I know what to say to that, really, other than to chase them up and.. yeah. =/
I hear the docks in Galway has some quality steel containers. Styrofoam should help with the insulation.

Joking aside, yeah that sucks. Hope it turns around.
I'll head down the docks baaaai!

Haha thank you. :)
Have you tried phoning the rest back/going in there personally to check it up?
Yep. At which point the majority of places awkwardly pretend that they haven't received my C.V or their H.R Manager is "out".
'Oh, you've not received my C.V? In that case, HERE IT IS AGAIN.' :meow:

If all goes to pot, come to Cardiff! We look after the homeless. :nod:
I'm so tempted! Haha.