"Miscats"

Miscat.

The abbreviated form of "mis-categorisation."

The act of submitting a piece of art into the wrong category.

When you go to submit something, you're asked to choose a category to put it in. Each category has a description. If you're not sure which category to use, read the description of it. If it doesn't fit, change the category.

I understand that for people whose English isn't very good that they might have problems understanding the category descriptions. For everyone else, there is no excuse, except laziness, trying to get around the popularity filter, or plain idiocy.

I report miscats whenever and wherever I find them. I do not want to see a webcam photo of someone's dog while looking for make-up ideas. I do not want to see a vector of a car while browsing the Macro->Nature section. That's just two examples of what I've seen in the 6 years I've been on the site, out of hundreds.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but what is so difficult about reading a description and seeing if it's where your art should go or not?
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Report and move on.
Dear OP,

Please use your journal next time. We're running out of animals to kill here.

Sign,

Someone who bored of you
I am more bothered by tag abuse, really. When I look for fanart of a fictional character, I don't care to see pictures of your dumbass mary-sue who happens to be tangentially related to him. :B

Funny. I remember making a thread very similar to this here about 5 years ago. Looks like some things never change.
I disagree because there are too many categories and some of us have art that overlaps. What I would rather see is a much more limited categorization that deviations are put in whether or not the deviant wants it. Such as- a 'fetish' or nudity category. Anything that clearly shows a fetish is pushed into that category by the admins and removed from where ever it was before. I'm sick and damn tired of seeing disgusting boob-inflation and freaky foot fetish things by people who can't draw. I think the absolute worst is this bondage shit. Poser or Daz Studio-created 'females' tied up. :no: They aren't on the site to do anything but spam the fuck out of various groups with their fetish images. I don't want them to be given the opportunity to select a category they want it to be in- I want the category decided based on what it is and if they repeatedly fail to put it there, their images get deleted. Besides, you can't expect the teenagers to really get what their category should be. A really bad stick figure sketch of some anime probably looks like 'scraps' to you, but to them it's "fantasy". When users are allowed to decide, then that's what happens.
I like to put completely unrelated tags on my deviations. Just random words that have nothing to do with the image itself.
:iconcatplz: Meow.
Indeed, it is a pain. Also, for example, when people tag things with 'Ethiopia' and it has nothing to do with Ethiopia at all. We should have multilingual guides.
Agreed. When I go looking for good photographs to submit to my group, I do not want to see cruddy drawings of someone's OC.
Some can't be bothered. :shrug:
Wait, what? Last I checked, there were never any descriptions to go with categories.
Yes. They're there. When you choose the category (but annoyingly only when you get to the very last sub-category) you have the option to read the descriptions: [link] (pic showing location of description revealing button)
sadly, this is the internet :B people are stupid on the internet :lol:
"You must be new here plz"? Really?

Which part did you skip over? Oh, right. The bit where I've been here for longer than you.
We've never seen you here before you damn, dirty liar.

Squatting monkeys tell no lies!
from logic and reason import *

def isnew():
if forum.referrredto == complaints:
print (:iconyoumustbenewhereplz:)
elif forum.referredto != complaints
user.newhere = false
You haven't been here longer than me. You're kawaii when you try so hard. :lmao:

Since when is 3 > 6?

And kawaii? You're a weeaboo?
I don't know what the hell you're on about now. :lmao:

Indeed, you're a blend of both. :hug:
View all replies