Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 199

Why do you need to be a good artist, to go to art school?

:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
So this is something that has confused me for a long time, and that is the fact that art most art schools, students art expected to have portfolios of their art when applying for classes, and it is expected that if the school doesn't like your portfolio, then you will not get in. I'm sure that most people already know this, but I ask you, what is the point in having portfolio's in which to see whether a person is a good artist, important to know, when the person who is applying, regardless of skill level, most likely wishes to attend that art school to become a better artist (among other stuff). It just seems like some kind of contradiction to me--You go to art school to become a good artist, but you need you need to be good artist to get in.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjust-a-witness:
Just-a-Witness Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
you ll need more than basic skills to get accepted, otherwise every douche who draws pkemon on notebook pages would be in an art student.not cool.
:iconfantasylover103:
fantasylover103 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Screw the people who think that, ever see AchoholicRattlesnake? (Don't know how to spell it DX) She never went to art school. And look at her now.
:iconsewlolita:
SewLolita Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   General Artist
The best art schools are selective, because a lot of people want to attend- and they want to attend to learn the advanced stuff, not the basics. The art school has the right to pick who they feel is most likely to succeed at their course.
It is a huge waste of the school's time and resources, and more importanlty, on the paid-for tuition time of the other students, to use time out of a course intended for people with a high skill level, on teaching the basics, when the people who the course is intended for already know that stuff.

That is why they need a portfolio- to sort out who is ready for what level of training- and if they only offer advanced training, this means that the majority don't make the cut.

You can pick up even advanced skills by mucking about, and referring to the internet. If you need structure, set yourself a structure and stick to it- if you can't stick to it, you may not be dedicated enough to be suitable for a course anyway.
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
I doesn't really work that way, dedication and discipline are to different things. Many people are dedicated enough to learn, but not many are capable of teaching themselves, end even if you are, you will never learn as much as you can through instruction.
SewLolita Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   General Artist
Instruction can be found by other means though- with something as popular as art, there is a huge amount of material available, largely for free via library or online, that is there to teach people. There are online boards, where you can get good feedback on your progress, which I'd say is 90% of the benefit of courses. The other 10% would be the materials and tools available, but you can buy a lot of supplies with the money you'd spend on attending an art school.

I've had very good luck with books, the internet, and simply watching skilled people work... my experience of art classes was that it's often a waste of time, with most of the time and the teacher's attention spent dawdling about at the pace of the worst students, so they'd 'catch up' so most advanced topics are barely glossed over.
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
I've had a much different experience. The downside of the stuff your talking about is that, with something as popular as art, is that there are so many different material meant to aid you that it can be somewhat jaring for a person to find what will work for them, and that can lead to someone giving up. With a class you are able to get aid from instructors who have experience with your strength and weaknesses.
SewLolita Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   General Artist
*nods* I guess teachers vary, and people have very different learning styles.
I tend to enjoy the research and find it to be a quick way to assimilate new information, and am usually aware of my weak points, so I find the negatives outweigh the positives for me, but I can understand if that's not the case for you.
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
I have always had difficulty in learning anything, and I imagine it's the same for a lot of other people, but art is something that I've always enjoyed, and I want to get better at it.
SewLolita Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013   General Artist
Hmmm, in that case, it does sound like classes are the best option for you :) I wish you luck in finding one that suits you :)
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks, and best of luck to you :D
Add a Comment: