Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 152

Annoying Amateur Photographer, Part 2

:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Filmographer
So I posted back in the summer about one of my friends who advertises her photography on Facebook, and quite frankly some of the things she posts on her Shutterfly (which she uses as a gallery/portfolio of sorts, as well as to allow friends of the clients to view the images) belong on You Are Not a Photographer.

Problem is, her photography skills have not improved. You would think that after 6 or 7 months, it would have improved somewhat. She'd know not to post blurry photos, or ones where the contrast of the image makes the subjects look like ghosts. But no, she hasn't. :facepalm: And to make matters worse, she still doesn't know much about how light works, how to edit photos to look nice and not freakishly over-saturated, and the images she crops do this weird thing where the image gets skewed (apparently she uses some free image editor and it does this).

She recently did a photoshoot for our former high school's winter formal. All of these problems are present in her photos (though luckily, not usually all at once). Now, I understand making mistakes from time to time, or not realizing them until after the fact. But come on, are you really that foolish to not understand what looks good and should go on your website, and what doesn't and should be deleted?

At least she's not trying to hire people to make her "business" include make-overs, haircuts, and web design anymore, which she did in the fall. :lol: And I don't get the Facebook spam since I didn't friend her new account. Apparently, though, she recently posted, "I am begging you guys, check out this link. And if you have used me before, please write a testimonial!"

Tl;dr: The annoying amateur photographer has not improved and continues to charge people actual money for her handiwork. And actual people actual pay her actual money for these photos, too.

Bonus Complaint! I got sick again and I have wind band auditions Thursday. :saddummy: I was already sick during finals week and part of break, did I really need to be sick before auditions?

Anti-Complaint! My mom was cleaning the oven, and when the oven gets too hot the fans turn on. The fans have been on for the past 3.5 hours, and just shut off. It's so quiet. :heart:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconarvellas:
Arvellas Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
That site rivals NotAlwaysRight for all the hilaribad it contains. :lmao:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Filmographer
I just love NotAlwaysRight. :lol: Cakewrecks is good too!
:iconzeflyingmuppet:
ZeFlyingMuppet Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:giggle: I got these done for free. My BF ~Sowers25's dad took these, took him awhile to set up not to mention that it was cold outside (and there was a little snow outside)

Not sure what he charges for other clients/customers though.
I do take some of my own photos as well but I pretty much just like to post them for my friends amusement and watchers. My cam is outdated and need a new one lol.
:iconjessicaann87:
JessicaAnn87 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
jeSUS! it takes time to learn. Just because shes not learning on YOUR schedule doesn't mean she wont get better over time.
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Filmographer
Still doesn't deserve $60/hr. :lmao:
people pay crap photographers crazy money all the time. Maybe THEY think she deserves $60/hour.
Her previous clients didn't. :iconteheplz: They were pissed at the results.
you can only blame that on them. If I were looking for a photographer I would look for somoene who has consistent great work. Lesson learned.
Exactly. :lol: I just don't understand why people would spend such money on terribly photography, and why the photographer thinks she's great enough to be spamming the hell out of everyone.
I would worry about you. If someone is stupid enough to hire a bad photographer that's their fault.
I don't hire bad photographers. B-)
:iconanomalouschild:
AnomalousChild Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
You know what's great about portfolios? When they can show the viewer that they don't even know what looks bad, and it's indeed in their gallery.
Except then you get some viewers who don't know quality. :shifty:
:iconclerdy:
Clerdy Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Haha this automatically reminded me of someone.

I don't know this person but my boyfriend is chummy with someone she knows and he took home one of her "business" cards, so i had a look.

[link]

:movingon:
Oh dear. :noes: Just the profile picture was bothersome, but many of the photos are blurry.

This one is my friend's but I was kinda avoiding posting anything because I didn't want Complaints to go there, just in case.
Yeah they're crap and i felt really bad when he showed me and i just laughed! Opps.

Yeah that girls pictures are ok, but they are just pictures nothing special or skilled about them...
This photo bothers me the most though. :lol: I mean, why would you put such an awful photo on display? The poor boyfriend is one with the background!
:iconkoyukuk:
Koyukuk Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:lmao: oh dear god that's awful
It really is.

She uses similar pictures that are more in-focus but still totally shitty, such as:
[link] [link]

And [link] amuses me because of the light on the guy's nose. :lol:
:iconh-everybody-lies--md:
H-Everybody-Lies--MD Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:lmao: That lighting is funny XD

I'd say she's got a good amount of photos that make me just cringe and shake my head. I also don't think she knows when not to use black&white. There were a few instances in the Senior shoot on her portfolio that probably would have shined better in color than just being monochrome. :no: :iconsighingplz:
I think I had like two sepia photos from my senior photo shoot with someone that actually knows how to photograph. :lol: Out of 50-60 photos. Not half the damn photos.
(1 Reply)
I can't even work out what is in focus!! It hurts my eyyyes!!!! :O
People paid REAL ACTUAL MONEY for it too!
Clerdy Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
That's wrong...
Yeah.
:iconmiriamscully119:
miriamscully119 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Artist
Ooh, what do you play?
Flute. :la:
Ooh, fun! I play clarinet and have solo and ensemble on Saturday and I'm also sick :c
That sucks. :noes:

I didn't do as well at my audition as I had hoped. I had to go first - which is never a good thing just because of how judged performances work - and was sick and somewhat nervous. I got 7th overall, but one guy who passed me I don't even know, and the girl that passed me is in the flute studio and is someone I can tolerate passing me even though she's a freshman, lol.
Yeah :noes: Especially since we get graded on it.

Aww, well at least you got in the top ten?
Do you get graded for class, or do you just get your performance rated?

Plus, I know I'm still one of the best non-majors. :la: I practice regularly (unlike a lot of people who just do it for casual fun) and get lessons from the flute professor at a local private college (I go to the local state college). Plus, I know that even though we have blind auditions, they're not really all that blind. :\
Both, which is dumb.

Good, as long as you know that you're good and you like what you're doing.
Oh dear. :noes: As if it's not bad enough you get a rating. It was always optional when I was in high school.
(1 Reply)
:iconxfrozentearzx:
XFrozentearzX Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I love this tread =D erugh there is so many people in my area who consdier to be pro photographers, no mate your rich parents bought you a camera that you cant use, you only have hundreds of likes for your pages because you beg people to like it and post it on sites that likes pages. ive needed a rant page like this for ages, praise this tread!! =D
Haha, as it turns out, I actually found out that the Annoying Amateur's clients from the winter dance were super pissed off about the photo shoot. :lmao: Apparently she showed up with a camera like anyone else has (so it's confirmed point and shoot), and they hated how blurry, washed out, and overall unprofessional the photos were for the price they paid.

It made me happy inside. :lol:
:iconxfrozentearzx:
XFrozentearzX Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Glad to hear, about time by the sounds of it haha =D
Yeah seriously! I just hope they rage on the photographer to the photographer. :shifty:
:iconreicheru-ketsueki:
Reicheru-Ketsueki Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Filmographer
hey there was a chick who was complaining about how certain stiles of art are not art but shes a photographer and thinks quite highly of herself
jsut saw a post of hers a sec ago in the Suggestions
i think she could go here
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
oh my god that website is awesome
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Filmographer
It's like Cakewrecks for photos! :lol:
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist
Sorry you're sick! I hope you get feeling better soon!
Thanks. I missed out on a movie night with my friends because of sickness. :saddummy:
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist
:hug: Sorry. They should do another one when you're better. I've found folk are always up for movie nights :D
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
And I'll jump on this thread again to complain about my "photographer" friend on facebook who I think I also complained about originally on that thread and who also hasn't improved since. I swear I could walk up to the same models he uses and take a photo of them with the exact same result - amateur. There's no lighting - no real sense of scenery... no nothing beyond what you'd see with the naked eye. I mean he's obviously tried to set up nude photos on couches but for the love of art get some studio lights in and stop capturing half the set behind what the photo should be.

Cool you've got a passion bro, but unless you've got a drive to actually get good at it you're going to be stuck forever spamming people in desperation for them to buy your shit. :stare:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Filmographer
Is he begging people to write positive testimonials on his website? :lmao:
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Nice job if you can get it. :lol:
Taking shitty photos is a nice job? :lol:
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Considering I bust my ass (and ruin my hands) crocheting all day to make money, it definitely seems that way. :B
:iconkikeri-ki:
Kikeri-Ki Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I'm lucky, most of the photographers I have as friends are actually pretty good. The few that aren't don't post overly much or all at one time so I'm not bombarded. Sucks when they won't listen to critique, though.

Also, I was just about to go to bed when you linked that site...

Damn you! :shakefist:
You're welcome. :la:
Add a Comment: