You're hired! ...NOT!

I got hired on full time at a large bakery, just before New Years. I had two trial shifts there, baking bread. At the end of my trial shifts, they had me sign the required paperwork and whatnot, hiring me on. I was told I would start working once their two weeks renovations were finished in the new year and that I should notify any current employers of my two weeks' notice so I could work at their bakery without hindrance.

On the day I'd been told to come in for my first shift - this past Friday - I arrived promptly at 7AM... to find the bakery dark and locked up. I had no idea what was going on, but waited half an hour, just in case. Nobody showed up so I went home and eventually found out that the oven wasn't working and so they had shut down until the part arrived that afternoon, and had simply 'overlooked' notifying me of this. Okay, fine. They then asked me to come in that afternoon, but I got sent home less than 2 hours after arriving. I was told to come in at 8am the next day, Saturday morning. Alright, I'll roll with it.

Except at 7:30am that Saturday morning, just as I was about to leave to head over there, I received a text notifying me that my presence would not be required and that they'd be giving me a call on Monday. I was pretty upset at this point, not appreciating being jerked around like that.

Then today, I received an e-mail letting me know that all people in 'probationary positions' were being let go due to downsizing. Well fuck you too. Fuckers. Now I have to get back to job searching at the worst time of year possible, having wasted the last few weeks because I was under the impression I actually had employment. Thank fuck I still have my other part-time restaurant job and that my bosses there are nice enough to be willing to keep me around after my having notified them that I'd gotten other employment. Here's hoping I find more work soon...

:icontealdeerplz: I was hired at a new job. And then I wasn't. Fuck. Back to job searching...
Comments38
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I graduated high school in June of 2012 and had been searching for employment since then, and all I've heard is 'I'm sorry, we're not hiring right now' or 'We only apply online' or some kind of yadda yadda bulls**t. And you know what the worst part is? My parents forced me to look for work and they nagged about it to the point where I would spend twelve hours a day filling out applications and traveling to places to fill them out-- on a bike! Thank God I moved out of there...
That's the ultimate fuck you to the worker's populace.
They were being complete jerks there; they could have at least been straightforward and told you in advance they didn't need you, and not encouraged you to think you had a job when you didn't. :stare:
I haven't had any luck holding down a job either. What makes it even more frustrating is that I don't get told whether I get the job or not, they just kinda ignore me. To top it all off, I endured a blow to my ego by signing up to a job searching agency even though I just graduated high school about 2 months ago, and they told me that I'm not high priority so they're basically doing jack all for me the first three months. Yeah. Great.
Ugh, I'm sorry.

I'm so there with you. My six months internship just ended at a time where there are record high unemployment in my country.
I hate short-term contract work, the uncertainty sucks.
It does.

At least I had time to fulfil requirements for my unemployment insurance, so I get more per month than I would have if I had gone straight from education to unemployment.

That, and I expect a kick ass reference.
Shit :O You'd think they'd know they couldn't take on more people BEFORE starting to hire...

Good luck with the job hunting. Still searching... part-time at Walmart is starting to take on an air of permanence right now....fucking economy.
Yeah, I have a feeling I'm just going to be working two part-time jobs for a while.
Well, at least now you have time to come down and cook for me 'n Cobra.
You didn't even get to make sandwiches... :no:
I'm so sorry to hear about that. If I had to read into that more, I would've automatically assumed you were job scammed. I know Holsum's bakery shut down recently as well as Hostess.
Job scammed? They paid me for the trial shifts so at least I got a little something out of it. I don't know what Holsum is though, as I'm in Canada.
That was rude of them to lead you on..
Management fumbles
Sick pups
Well, my idea for revenge would get you arrested, so all I have to say is at least that other part-time job kicked in.

Fuck those assholes, watch their business go under.
Wow, that's some real bullshit right there. Probably better off you don't have to work for them if they can't get their shit together :O
Yeah, that really sucks. But, then again, maybe it's for the better. Given how they handled this one can only imagine what kind of madness would occur it they actually hired you.
I could put up with madness for $12 an hour full time though hah.
Man, that ain't cool at all. Good luck job hunting.
Don't feel bad, it's hard as hell for me to get employment. I'm 21 and still haven't had any luck. I'm about to fill out applications at Walmart and the local grocery store but I have little hope. :(
I applied to Tim Hortons which is a huge coffee chain and even they didn't call me back, which is baffling.
I've heard Tim Hortons is surprisingly hard to get hired at, even though the turnover is crazy there.