The Importance of Drawing Ability (Not a Troll Post)

I promised myself not to flamebait but i just want to tell ya'll drawing is the basis or all art and creative endeavors. If you want to paint, more than likely you have to draw thumbnails. If you want to make a film you need story boards. Drawing is necessary for medicine, architecture and ever law. I just started back drawing and i can truly say if you lag in painting, digital, and ever photography then learn to draw. My complaint is that so many people paint and they don't know how to draw. THis is why they are limited. PLEASE...draw people. I try to draw everyday. Get books and learn.
Comments608
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Literature. Photography. Music... where does drawing play any crucial part in these?

:shrug:
I wish I could draw none the less.
My drawing teacher actually told us to take a song, and use that song to draw. Which they then displayed in a music school.

Her husband (a musician) actually came into the class and said, "I'm not an artist, but mark making and pulling my bows across the strings of my bass are essentially the same." He then held a piece of chalk in his hand like a bow and swung it like a pendelium across the chalkboard and he could explain each part of the mark making and where the sound of his bow would be inaccurate or how the sound was starting based on his "drawing."

Literature? I've had many of my literature classes in art school require us to make compositions based on writings and do stuff like use the compositions in order to explain the mood and summarize the literature that we read.

Photography all boils down to composition. The difference between a point and shoot photography hobbyist and a professional is that a professional can set up various components within the photograph based on various lines and position of value within the scene. And line moving across a composition is drawing.
What do you think about photoraphy in where it relates to drawing? I'm gonna copy/paste what I said before

My graphite portraits used to just be floating heads or subject matter on a plain white background. Then I took photography in school, and learning how to correctly create an image from scratch and knowing here to place everything really helped me create complete pieces with my other artworks. I think photography knowledge sets a good foundation for artwork.
Funny enough I actually found the opposite with photography. My graphite portraits used to just be floating heads or subject matter on a plain white background. Then I took photography in school, and learning how to correctly create an image from scratch and knowing here to place everything really helped me create complete pieces with my other artworks. I think photography knowledge sets a good foundation for artwork.
man... these comments down here can only mean one thing:
lesson learned: watch your ego.
and let me guess, you gonna bash on my artwork now? :iconinuderpplz:
What is it that you find so entertaining about making these stupid threads? It can't be an uplifter to get bitchslaps in your feedback box every day, when you could be working to get faves and comments there instead.
I think he likes feeling superior. Although he constantly puts his foot in his mouth, I think it gives him a major ego boost to rip into other people.

I really don't think he's a troll. I think he means what he says about his art and he genuinly enjoys feeling superior. I think he calls himself a troll so he can somewhat make sense about what he does.
Whenever I hear "he/she put his foot in his mouth" I get a really nice image in my head.

I don't think he's a troll either. He does seem to put about one hour or 2 on each painting. That's a lot less than what the ultimate artist, which is what he wants to believe that he himself is, would use for most of their paintings, but it's also a lot more than what your average troll would be willing to do. He can't be a serious artist and a troll at the same time either, as a serious artist wouldn't want to put a bad face on a profile which is strongly related to their art.
He must get excited seeing comments waiting for him, good or bad.
He has a pretty sad hobby, I must say.
You should post this on some sonic recolors or something.
Not a troll post
Illastrat

Pick one, baby.
my favourite part about this thread is the angelishi vs. illastrat part

also people whoring their shitty art

well done, folks. It's time to pack up and go home.
And try to get this thread locked because god damn...
"Drawing and painting are the same" says my art teacher. The only differences exist in the techniques used to make marks, essentially drawing and painting are the same. For both you need to know of composition, values, lighting, color, anatomy, perspective, and all the other basics. And DDs are not awards. The are used to give people more attention which is up to the mods.
really? Because this whole post seems to debate that painting =/= drawing
No, the comments here are mainly about how delusional this guy is. He's very mean about ther people's work and can't take an honest critique. Search his name in the forums, it's ridiculous.
This guy is clearly leftover from the modernist movement, drowning in the sea that is the (not-new-at-all) postmodern society.
I say this in all hypocrisy, for I only really draw cartoon fairies. I'm yet to branch out and enjoy the process that is creating real art.
From your limited experience, you hit the nail on the head pretty eloquently :lol: The sad thing is, I know people who have a modernist aesthetic in their work, I even know a guy who paints somewhat similarly to illastrat, and they are NOTHING like him in their views of post-modernity and contemporary arts.
Indeed. (I tend to do too much thinking, not enough practising.)
View all replies