This is such a nice cozy bed and I'm so warm and OH MY GOD

I have this medical thing going on. My doctor isn't too sure about it but doesn't think it's serious enough to go to the ER. Which sucks, because it feels quite serious.

So I'm in bed last night, dreaming about Alucard from Castlevania getting impaled by bamboo rods then drowned in a flood of pig intestines, then I read about Garfield and lasagna at a poetry slam (the sad part is, I'm not exaggerating). I wake up from that lovely little display to notice that my heart is beating really quickly and I'm in pain. I wait for it to subside, but then my breathing gets all fluttery and quick, I sweat enough to make crops grow in Senegal, and I start shaking like I'm having a female orgasm. After about 20 minutes, it's over.

This has been going on for the past three weeks. They're not panic attacks, as I can feel them come on slowly, and they happen exactly an hour into trying to sleep. You can't predict a panic attack like that. It's just my body being fucking weird.

I got nothing to say other than that.
Comments39
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You can go to a sleep center if it happens only during the night. They hook you up to a bunch of wires like you're a robot and track everything that goes on in your body.

Though it sounds like it has to do something with your brain activity or blood pressure.
What is this I don't even
Zombie abduction.
That's... odd.... O_o
We know... we've seen your thread...
You need to get an EKG. You could have an arrhythmia.
That's the thing where they do an ultrasound on your heart, right? I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow.
An EKG is where they hook up wires to various parts of your chest to monitor the electrical activity to your heart. I used to have to get them every so often because of a heart murmur I had.
As in needles or adhesive? Not that I'm afraid of needles, but I need to know what to expect.
Adhesive. There's a metal circle in the middle that can be a little chilly, but otherwise, no pain.
:la: Adhesive stickers! I've had it done before! And because I was 16, I had it done in the pediatric wing of the hospital. :bucktooth:
I can never tell if you’re serious or not. But in case you are, I do EKGs on patients sometimes. It is not like an ultrasound. It’s not a type of imaging. It’s a measurement of electrical activity in the chambers of the heart. It shows if your heart rhythm is normal. A psychiatrist is not likely to be of much use with cardiac issues. He will tell you it is all in your head.
Protip: If the attempt at humor was in the thing itself happening, and not the exaggeration decorating it, that's when I'm kidding. In this case I am serious.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist because he prescribed me something that has these exact symptoms as side effects and I'm wondering if I need something different.
Oh, yes it could be a reaction to some medications, namely MOA inhibitors. But I would still recommend an EKG.
(And for clarification, it's the psychiatrist because he believes that one of the things he's prescribed is causing this)
You're dying.
There's no part of your misfourtune that I hadn't laughed at. :lol:
It's a succubus making sweet love to you.
...thought it'd be more enjoyable.
Only for them.
"I sweat enough to make crops grow in Senegal, and I start shaking like I'm having a female orgasm"

Good lord, you're really going for the gold with that description. :lol:
It doesn't work though, crops don't grow from salt water. :C
Screw what your doctor says and go get a second opinion. Individual doctors don't know everything... they're only human, just like the rest of us.

If it's a problem with your medication, then you really need to get that worked out. You should never just ignore problems caused by drugs. What if you ever need to go on a temporary medication, like an antibiotic or steroid for some sort of infection/inflamation from an injury? If you're not handling long-term medication well, what happens if you end up with some weird interaction from adding in another? Especially if it's messing with your heart and nervous system...
That was my GP who didn't know, but I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow about it because apparently Sertraline is causing it. Hopefully he'll know what's up.