My Paper Smears Too Much...

I don't know what it is, but every drawing I post seems to have smear marks from my damn graphite. >:o
I am just using a basic pen #2 HB pencil copy paper and my hands.
...petty complaint is petty...
tl;dr If you can't read that's sad...#Firstworldproblems.
Comments44
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I read that as my pap smears too much, which to be fair is a really horrible thing too.
guuuugghhh, thanks for reminding me. :(
Use a lower numbered pencil (although it will be lighter) or try out a paper with more tooth. Smooth papers tend to smear more easily :)
Use a harder lead, it'll smudge less.
:iconmingplz: That's too expensive I could just cut a oven-mit. :dummy:
Also hairspray. Make your drawings fabulous! :iconimfabulousplz:
Try to draw from top-right to bottom-left - or the other way round if you're left-handed - and place a sheet of paper under your drawing hand. Copy paper is smooth, and so smudges easily, which can be remedied either by using a harder pencil (less prone to smudging) or using drawing paper. Depending on what weight and make you get it doesn't have to be expensive. :p
Imma lefty, I will try these tips tonight.
Copy paper is very smooth and has no texture or 'tooth' to hold the graphite on the sheet. That's why any little touch smudges it so bad. You can certainly get around this by using the techniques others are discussing, but the problem would also be minimized if you got some drawing paper, even relatively cheap drawing paper. It'll still smudge, just not to the same degree.
Also make sure you have a good eraser, I like the white Mars Plastic ones.
Yea, I should probably take a trip to the crafts store sometime...I haven't had any nice paper in a long time.
I really like Strathmore brand, tends to be relatively cheap. Canson is also good.
Along with following what others have already said, you could also scan your image and quickly clean it up in Photoshop if you want to post it.
Ok, I actually never thought of that....Thanks.
A lot people do that- you can fiddle with the Brightness/Contrast levels, Curves, then use a large brush and sample the background colour ( since traditional paper is never pure white) and clean up the remainder.
lol who knew someone could get legit suggestions in Complaints? 8D
The forum worlds are colliding! :iconmindblownplz:
For some reason I read that as "My pap smear's too much."
I read it too. :stare:
:icongrossplz: I got bad images in my head now...thanks...
its the dark god Sutekh again, beware Thoth beware!