Broken ASUS Laptop

i'm careful when i buy things. it goes for anything i spend my money on. i do my research. anyways. yesterday morning i turn my asus laptop on, i get a blue screen. no worries i thought, bad windows partition, i boot into ubuntu, freezes. try to reinstall, i get a seg-fault.

apparently the intel series 6 is known to have a design flaw.

i called asus, their CSR people are indian and i can't understand them. anyways, i take it back to best buy, and they ship it to asus, hopefully they're replace it.

have of you have an asus laptop?

this is driving me nuts. my dell that i've had since college (it's eight years old now) still works. my 11 year old pentium 4 still works, with an abit motherboard.

i'm never buying asus again.
Comments94
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
ASUS are amazing machines, you must have been unlucky. I only trust that brand, and it will be the next one I get once this HP I got super-cheap dies on me.
You mean broken ANUS laptop. :B
Nor would I buy a computer who outsources it's tech help to fucking India or anyplace where you can't understand the tech's mouth full of marbles replies.
who doesn't outsource to india these days
Almost any brand from Taiwan is great. Coming from a family of ASUS and Acer users I should know. My old core 2 duo acer laptop outlasted a friend's more expensive HP laptop and even the rich idiot I put up with who spent way too much on pens had his macbook pro die in the meantime. Still ran photoshop fine and lasted until a design flaw killed it.

There's been nothing wrong with the ASUS laptops though, save for how the Eee pc can't join the wireless and needs a ethernet cable for some reason.
what design flaw killed it?
The fact that the model (a asprire 7720G) had slight overheating issues, The solder keeping the GPU in place melted and at first I thought it was taking longer than normal to start. 3 days after that issue I got POST error beeps and it died on 28.08.12.
how long did you have it for? that's horrible. what kinda GPU was it?
I think I had the laptop for 4 or 5 years approximately. I was informed of the flaw midway though the life of it by someone I knew. It had a Nvida Geforece 9300m (I think it was that the model of it) dedicated graphics card that had 256 MB of video RAM. Which was a lot at the time it was new.
Asus is one of the better brands though.
they are. im shocked.
I've had one for years, never had any problems even though it fell off a broken tray onto a concrete floor hah. The fan on one side started rattling but that's the only problem it had.
I have an Asus laptop that I got several years ago (maybe like 5-6 years ago), and it works just fine still :O They tend to have good products, so I can't say I've ever had an issue with anything I got under that brand.
I read the title as: Broken ANUS laptop. :lmao:

Hope things work out okay. I had to replace the hard drive on mine, and since I don't really know how the insides of computers work I had to pay a lot to have someone fix it for me. -_-
I do, but mine is fairly 'new' as in It's now about a year old. Never really had any problems apart from a bizare glitch where it claimed there was some error with the battery then it sorted itself. It's a massive upgrade from the Sony Vaio laptop I had before, which was a handemedown that was already two years old when I got it and before I got rid of it it was just so laggy, and took about 10 minutes to properly boot up the dvd drive stopped working, the right click button stopped too but it trucked on pretty well for at least another three years
That's why I went for an Apple Mac! Not a single issue with the Apple Macs!! :la:
I was going to go for an asus, but the Apple mac seemed for appealing to me.
i have heard alot of great stuff about asus and have friends who have them and they work amazingly well. just like any brand though, there is the faulty models that just are not as awesome as most of the other models, unless its dell or hp thos brands are horrible. Then there is the ones that are just simply defective.
I’m sorry you broke your anus. I hope you feel better.
I had one for 2 years, Fucking loved it. (may wanna skip down now..)

Great power, great parts.. but I had to take it in to best buy to get it fixed for a bad screen (dead pixels mid screen) and a bent mouse pad button (NO idea how that happened..) came back with a new screen, but nothing touched on the pad..

they sent it out again for the pad and got it back, then THEY broke the screen.... yeah.. somehow busted the back light.. so they "lemoned" it and refused to fix or return the item.
Instead they wanted me to pick an equal value system from their shelves.. problem.. i only paid $800 bux for it, but it was 5x the powerhouse of anything they had anywhere near its price range... And this was a 3 year old system by this time!!
the damned "geek squad" morons looked at me like i was insane, so i had to explain it to them in simple terms, lay out the individual specs, and explain WHY it was a good system... do they have ANY training in this shit at all?!

Next thing i knew they tried hooking me up with a system that had "similar" specs (took them about 15 minute to find someone among them that knew anything about computers that didn't come in a simple plug'n'play manual). While it had a larger screen, it also had FAR less memory... no deal...
I'd have flipped on them, but i already had a backup laptop at home by this time (one i still use :) Tis a good little Samsung deal.. )
My GF convinced me to drop it and just take the store credit (they refunded me the laptop price and half of my warranty plan claiming thats all they could do... sooo why couldn't they FIX the damned laptop instead?! alls it needed was the damned screen replaced (again).... i mean fuck, THEY broke it..)

Instead ended up with a Macbook pro for my GF, for $200 bux after all was said and done.
I'm still pissed at that store though.. i'd had laptops from them before, and had to send them in for repairs (was even across the country one time and they still took it, fixed it, and shipped it back home for me)
But that one experience has soured my taste.. and i can see why they've started going down hill lately.
Ever since they changed their damned policies toward Warranties, and such, they've become total shit, and are trying to be bigger than they are.

sorry.. think i just ranted... *goes and adds tags for skipping purposes*

Overall i loved the Asus though, i'd had 2 of them in the past and they were spectacular systems.
But like any laptop, you need to buy to your needs. And price check value vs power.
To many people pay 1k+ for whats essentially an E-Machine (wait.. thats a brand now.. basically just an internet box and a digital typewriter)
When you can get a system that'd rival most desk top systems for less.

I still use Asus Mobo's though, but i think they're reaching the point where they've grown to much and are starting to lax in quality.. time to find someone new.
Bet money on bad ram.