I don't want to apply for this job

my parents keep wanting me to apply for graphic design positions and I really don't want to. But they keep magically meeting people at their office who are graphic designers or have some relation to the design field, and they keep getting their contact information, and they keep pushing me to contact them, and won't give up until I have done so.

what i really want to be is an illustrator or a comic artist, where I can DRAW things! if i go to graphic design, i'm just gonna be moving things around on a computer all day. Sure, i might be able to use my drawing skills once in a while, but that won't be my main focus. it'll just be vectors, typography, and layout, which to tell you the truth bores me to tears.

I know being a designer is probably a more stable job than being an illustrator, but it just seems like no fun to me! sorry to all design enthusiasts reading this.

I do appreciate my parents concern that I should find a job as soon as possible, but I wish they would stop trying to push me in a direction I don't want to go =_= I have an animation internship right now (unpaid) but I'm learning a lot there about things I WANT to know! But because it's unpaid my parents won't get off my back arghargdkfjnkjng
Comments57
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Why the hell don't you want to?! Oh, I get it! It's not your thing, is it?

Well, why not at least give it a try?
dude you r soo lucky .... i wish my parent would force me to apply to this program....
Take it and use it as experience. It would look great on your resume. Many people do graphic design AND illustration, especially if they're freelancing. You'd have more potential clients.
...Joined this week and empty gallery.
Yeeeeah, not buying it.
Take the job. You don't have to keep it forever, but it will give you experience, get you some money, and you can still draw.
Do you know how many people would kill to be in your position?
I would assume if you don't want to do a particular job and don't have the skills for it, you're going to be really shitty at it.

That said, comic and illustrator jobs really don't pay well. You'd have to be super amazing at it to make any big bucks. Even guys at Marvel or DC don't earn all that much unless they're Jim Lee or someone of a similar position.

The first question is whether the job you want is permanent or freelance. Freelance generally has more risks and less pay until you have a decent reputation.
If your parents are supporting you, and you're living at home it is completely reasonable for them to push you to get a job.
I've been working since I was sixteen. It's taken eight years to find a job in my field that I enjoy.

I know that I got lucky as well.

You're never going to get the job you want unless you take whatever you can get. Your parents are absolutely correct.
Have fun remaining unemployed with that kind of attitude.
"Whoops, I'm homeless because I'm too proud to accept something perfectly good. Silly me."
are you fucking kidding me
Why not think of it this way; "I'll take this job now and learn what I can from it. It will look nice on my resume and while I work here I'm going to keep looking for a job that I love".
The money you earn can also be a plus, you could use to fund your own projects.

Employers always prefer hiring people who are still/already working as opposed to being unemployed. You will be used to a work routine (getting up, being on time, deadlines etc.) instead of sitting home all day.
Not too mention if you do well at your current job, you boss might you a nice reference which can be worth a lot.
A graphic job would be nice resume filler. I say take it, and if you're really passionate about illustration and comics, you can still search up jobs related to that field while still being employed in graphic design. I'm sure the income could help fund any pet projects you want to invest in :)
And this is why the unemployment rate is so high. People are too damn picky. I'd kill for that opportunity.
It is because they do not want to spend 30 to 40 hours a week slaving over shit they hate.
Go to Heaven!
I refuse! Too boring! :grump:
Even then you have to show it in your sig. :la:
Take the job! Make your resume look nice. :la:

Plus, it's still learning about artsy things.