Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

I don't want to apply for this job

:iconbeanknowledge:
beanknowledge Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Filmographer
my parents keep wanting me to apply for graphic design positions and I really don't want to. But they keep magically meeting people at their office who are graphic designers or have some relation to the design field, and they keep getting their contact information, and they keep pushing me to contact them, and won't give up until I have done so.

what i really want to be is an illustrator or a comic artist, where I can DRAW things! if i go to graphic design, i'm just gonna be moving things around on a computer all day. Sure, i might be able to use my drawing skills once in a while, but that won't be my main focus. it'll just be vectors, typography, and layout, which to tell you the truth bores me to tears.

I know being a designer is probably a more stable job than being an illustrator, but it just seems like no fun to me! sorry to all design enthusiasts reading this.

I do appreciate my parents concern that I should find a job as soon as possible, but I wish they would stop trying to push me in a direction I don't want to go =_= I have an animation internship right now (unpaid) but I'm learning a lot there about things I WANT to know! But because it's unpaid my parents won't get off my back arghargdkfjnkjng

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Why the hell don't you want to?! Oh, I get it! It's not your thing, is it?

Well, why not at least give it a try?
:iconkiomaru1:
kiomaru1 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Artist
dude you r soo lucky .... i wish my parent would force me to apply to this program....
:icondorkface4:
dorkface4 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Take it and use it as experience. It would look great on your resume. Many people do graphic design AND illustration, especially if they're freelancing. You'd have more potential clients.
:iconangelishi:
angelishi Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
...Joined this week and empty gallery.
Yeeeeah, not buying it.
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Take the job. You don't have to keep it forever, but it will give you experience, get you some money, and you can still draw.
:iconrockygems:
RockyGems Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
Do you know how many people would kill to be in your position?
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I would assume if you don't want to do a particular job and don't have the skills for it, you're going to be really shitty at it.

That said, comic and illustrator jobs really don't pay well. You'd have to be super amazing at it to make any big bucks. Even guys at Marvel or DC don't earn all that much unless they're Jim Lee or someone of a similar position.

The first question is whether the job you want is permanent or freelance. Freelance generally has more risks and less pay until you have a decent reputation.
:iconpaellamagi:
paellamagi Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
If your parents are supporting you, and you're living at home it is completely reasonable for them to push you to get a job.
:iconplasticusforkus:
PlasticusForkus Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I've been working since I was sixteen. It's taken eight years to find a job in my field that I enjoy.

I know that I got lucky as well.

You're never going to get the job you want unless you take whatever you can get. Your parents are absolutely correct.
:iconaldarune:
Aldarune Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Have fun remaining unemployed with that kind of attitude.
:iconklaxonlithology:
KlaxonLithology Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
"Whoops, I'm homeless because I'm too proud to accept something perfectly good. Silly me."
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
are you fucking kidding me
:iconparabuteo78:
Parabuteo78 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Why not think of it this way; "I'll take this job now and learn what I can from it. It will look nice on my resume and while I work here I'm going to keep looking for a job that I love".
The money you earn can also be a plus, you could use to fund your own projects.

Employers always prefer hiring people who are still/already working as opposed to being unemployed. You will be used to a work routine (getting up, being on time, deadlines etc.) instead of sitting home all day.
Not too mention if you do well at your current job, you boss might you a nice reference which can be worth a lot.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
A graphic job would be nice resume filler. I say take it, and if you're really passionate about illustration and comics, you can still search up jobs related to that field while still being employed in graphic design. I'm sure the income could help fund any pet projects you want to invest in :)
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
And this is why the unemployment rate is so high. People are too damn picky. I'd kill for that opportunity.
:iconcommandereve:
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
It is because they do not want to spend 30 to 40 hours a week slaving over shit they hate.
Go to Heaven!
I refuse! Too boring! :grump:
Then go to hell.
Fine
Even then you have to show it in your sig. :la:
Why?
Because. :nod:
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Filmographer
Take the job! Make your resume look nice. :la:

Plus, it's still learning about artsy things.
:iconforget-the-name:
Forget-The-Name Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
THIS! Really, I'd trade places with this kid. I'd love to have some help looking for a job like those!
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013   Digital Artist
That's because you're thinking about it wrong. Regardless of what you feel about those jobs, if you can get in that easy you need to take it, and use that on your resume, that way you can get the job you actually do want in time much easier.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Graphic design = art, but actually employable.
Geophysics = artistic interpretation, but imminently employable.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Something is better than nothing. It'd be better to be a graphic designer, than be unemployed.
:icongrimcw:
GrimCW Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
This... given the difficulty it is finding any job right now...
Besides, who says they can't moonlight and do something more fun on the side.
Exactly. And being currently employed in a semi related field looks better than not being not being employed at all. At the very least it shows you have no work ethic/personality flaws.
the longer your not working, the harder it is to get a job.
Internship or not, if its not solid work its not often looked upon as a bonus by future employers :/

i've bounced from enough jobs lately (fucking economy... seems like alls well and i'm settling in, and then BAM.. they sell my job out from under me...) to have seen both sides of the market..
Its nice having a job, but its hard to get one. People with steady jobs seem to be completely ignorant of that.. and those that have never had one, have NO idea what they're in for when they get going.

My GF has a degree in IT, but since she's only ever held and internship, and never a job, with that field... no one will hire her for that style job.
they want YEARS of experience. Instead she's stuck in wal mart... a truly expensive piece of paper, and its completely worthless aside from the debt collectors coming in for the tuition money...
IT in general is a hard field right now because of all the outsourcing.
I sort of stumbled into my imminently hire-able field, geophysics, by accident. Oil, mining, environmental, you can basically take your pick as long as you find rocks at least somewhat interesting. And that's probably the kicker for most people.
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Wow, that sucks. Can't she at least do something else other than Walmart? I mean, there must be part-time IT jobs available?

I hate how it's so hard to find a job especially for inexperienced people. Companies just don't give people a break. People can be trained, but opportunities are so few and far in between.
Theres a ton of the jobs, but not bites.
They seriously expect people with 5+ years experience to magically appear.. 2 cities and neither one with anyone willing to take new comers to the field.
and since most places don't do apprenticeships outside of college students for free labor...
Wal mart was the best she could get without having any other skill sets to fall back on besides Wendy's.
and surprisingly... even at part time wal mart pays a LOT better than most fast food joints...
I am willing to bet that waiting tables pay a lot more than Walmart. I used to do that for 8 years... in bars, clubs and restaurants throughout my academic life. The tips helped a lot... and not to mention, the people you meet at work - they can REALLY help to open up some doors if they like you a lot. Of course, I'm not suggesting restaurants like Applebee's... not many corporate big wigs dine there. :ohnoes:

But back to the topic - yeah. Fucking hate that "experience" requirement. I am job hunting too but it's not going to be too tough here, it seems - Unemployment rate is 1.9 as of 2012. But still, the jobs that I "really" want requires experience... but I'm not too hung up on it. At this rate, I'm willing to do just about anything related to marketing for a career. :o
If she weren't somewhat anti social and easy to set off.. i'd push the table waiting more.
But trying to get her going isn't so hot since she's not used to having people encourage her much.. Hate to say it, but its why i pulled her away from her family and home city... to much negativity in that place...

going back.
2 things.
1. Don't believe those Unemployment stats to much, they're often doctored, and deliberately ignore the people not ON unemployment. I.E. they don't count people that aren't registered as gaining UI benefits as unemployed :/

2. Truth be told there are plenty of jobs, just no ones really hiring to keep. Due to a funky economy atm, most places only want temps or part timers.
They just want cheap labor, and not to have to pay out benefits under the obamacare law, amidst other new worker protections.
So many are just trying anything to keep their work forces shifting around. It also gives the false impression they're hiring, and that there are more jobs out there.

Lost my most recent job to that. When i started 2/3 of the night shift was all temps (only exceptions being the supervisors really) then they suddenly hired on a bunch of us on after the usual 90 days.
But since the holiday season started winding down (mid December for this place) they started finding all sorts of bogus reasons to start firing us, reducing them to mostly temps again.
One guy they accused of threatening people, another for harassment (to which the supervisors are the WORST offenders by a long shot) and for me they used a double edge in accusations of calling a new hire (puerto rican kid) some racial slur (i live in a 90% puerto rican neighborhood.. i'm not exactly sure that'd be smart for me to utter even in my own home. But i was raised better than that. no matter how much i hate a person, i hate the PERSON not their race/culture) and claims of "Horseplay"....
I was the only person in my shop even capable of a laugh, but apparently that ranks as "horseplay"... given "Horseplay" by definition is "rough or excessive, possibly dangerous" that was easy to knix. Again, the supervisors are far worse off than i was in any sort of joking around.
but the accusation of a racial slur only needed a claim, no proof, and they got their way. Sooo between jobs atm myself (starting a new one monday thankfully. New plant opened nearby, so it was a surprisingly quick jump)

All in all, just be watchful of your back, know the local labor laws, and don't let'em push you around.

Funny note though, As a veteran of the recent two conflict/wars (whatever they want to call them) and seeing as i was out of work for over 8 months prior to being hired by that place.. i was worth up to 96 grand in tax breaks.. shame i never told them that >: )
yeah.. i didn't like them either :p
(1 Reply)
:iconsolidspy24:
SolidSpy24 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
People usually do well with things that they enjoy. Tell your parents that :3
While it's good to try and follow your passion, but having a job you don't enjoy while actively looking for one you do, is much better than being unemployed and looking for a job...
I would rather not have a job then have one I hate. It's different for some people.
Good for you. Attitudes like that fuck up society for the rest of us :iconthumbsupplz:
Ah, but I have a job already. One I like. :icontrollface:

Do you have a job you like?
I'm in university. it's illegal for me to work in what I am currently training as, though I am working in the same sector.
I do digital photography in University and have a job as a photographer. Things are all fine and dandy for me.
:iconthisplz:

That's what I tell my younger friends but they don't listen... They think that "passion" alone is enough. Pffff, real life requires money even if it's through jobs that might not be necessarily our first choice.
True facts.
Damn straight.
Thats true, the same thing happened to me. I wanted to be an animater, and/or game designer, but i realized how hard of a job that was and decided to learn how to be a programmer. I didn't think I would like it at first, but i got hooked! I guess the best thing to do is to try new things.
Exactly. and being employed in a semi related field is good for the resume. The principle/elements of art are all the same, plus, it shows you have work ethic etc.
Thats true, the same thing happened to me. I wanted to be an animater, and/or game designer, but i realized how hard of a job that was *TO GET and decided to learn how to be a programmer. I didn't think I would like it at first, but i got hooked! I guess the best thing to do is to try new things.
Add a Comment: