Closed to new replies
January 3, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 65

Goddamn Hospitals

:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
When I went to the hospital the day after the car accident, they took some x-rays and said I was fine, just needed to exercise the bruised muscles a few times a day so they would heal without stiffening up.

I went to the doctor yesterday, who did the x-rays again, and told me I have a fractured elbow. Showed me the picture too, really fucking obvious crack in my elbow. All that moving around I did? Didn't help much and only made it hurt worse, especially since I didn't get any medications to deal with the swelling. Apparently my bones are freakishly close together and pinch like hell.

Unfortunately, the thing about fractures is they heal on their own and need no help, so all I can do is wait a month and grit my teeth against the hurting. I have a prescription for pain, but those particular pills make me high as a kite and I need my brain while i'm at work. Still, at least I have some ideas on proper care of it now, and when I go for physio (tomorrow, finally!) nobody's gonna cause worse damage.

Still. Fucking hospital doctor. There was no excuse for that, it wasn't busy at all when I went. There was a waiting time of about half an hour, which considering the wait time day before yesterday was 14 hours, is pretty fucking amazing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvi0letdreamer:
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Photographer
I think they just don't pay attention as closely at hospitals as they do at, say, urgent care stations and the like. When I was 15, I hurt my back at cheerleading and went to the hospital. They absolutely refused to take an xray and basically told me to get over it. I went to an urgent care station the next day and got xrays, and I had a fractured vertebrae. :stare:
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah, I don't think we have anything like an urgent care station here. That's what hospitals are for. Though the walk-in clinic doctor told me hospital doctors are kinda rude on purpose, since you aren't supposed to go there unless you're dying.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
:stare:
:iconmci021:
mci021 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
:shrug: Doctors are human. They miss stuff. A few years back I was in and out of the emergency room three times before they finally figured out that I had gall stones and needed to have my gall bladder removed. Sure, it's annoying, but at least they found it before it got worse.
:iconbalaria:
Balaria Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Fucking doctors man.. [link]
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Filmographer
This kind of reminds me of when my sister was little and fell off the bed. My dad took her to the doctors who moved her arm around and insisted everything was fine. My dad, being the kind of guy he is, told them it was bollocks, gave her the slightest touch and she burst into tears over the pain. They finally gave in and she got her x-ray to be told she'd gotten herself a fractured collarbone.

I don't normally like that my dad is constantly argumentative and persistant too, but it really came in handy.

Has everything been sorted with your car? Also happy new year. :D
:iconfruitsofharvest:
FruitsOfHarvest Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
can't you sue them?
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
For what, punitive damages? If she’d developed a fat embolus as a result of the undiagnosed fracture and been killed, then someone could sue. If she is permanently disabled as a result of them missing the fracture and loses work as a result, then she can sue.
oh ok I guess I shouldn't have said it cause I honestly know nothing in law.
Well no. It’s not completely ridiculous. If you have money to blow and don’t care, you could certainly try to sue. But it’s complicated, what you can sue for and it might end up being a waste of time. And being awarded damages doesn’t mean you’ll actually get them. Because the defendant may not have the money to give.

There are several kinds of damages.

Compensatory damages would be like, you burned my house down or destroyed my car. Those losses have specific dollar value. Or if I were to do $5000 worth of labor and you refused to pay me, that would be a set amount of money. This can also include medical bills. Basically any damage of property or cost that was incurred as a result of the 's actions.

Punitive damages are used to penalize the defendant, and can be awarded at the judge’s discretion. For instance, in the case of a class action suit. A corporation might be fined for mistreatment of employees. A drunk driver might be fined and the money given to non-profit organizations that support the victim’s families.

Then you have pain and suffering, which is hard to get. Believe it or not, they have an actual method for calculating the dollar amount your suffering is worth. Examples would be, someone being forced to witness something horrific.

Then you have lost wages. If you miss work due to an injury, then the amount of income you’d have received if you’d been able to work is calculated as damages. If you become disabled as a result of someone else’s actions and can not work from that point forward, they calculate the potential loss of wages and you are paid damages based on that.
wow I didn't know this. I appreciate it.
Sure :D
:iconwalkingren:
WalkingRen Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I got a fracture on my wrist in football practice, thought it was a bruise, and missed one day, got back 2 days later. Went to the hospital a month later, found out it was fractured, :shrug: I figured it would heal by itself and it did :la:
:iconfisherella:
Fisherella Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
Take the x-rays (or have the hospital send them) to your doctor and get a second opinion. Emergency room doctors tend to be inexperienced and of the lower rank as doctors go.
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Kick the doctors in the knees
:iconeleganceapparent:
EleganceApparent Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What is with everyone getting into car accidents!? My family has had several in the last few months, and then on the 21st my fiance and I were in a head on collusion (our compact vs a large Ram truck). Thankfully we were ok for the most part. I fractured my sternum, and my fiance sliced his finger to the bone. And then last week our neighbor was rear-ended while going to school.

So I know how you feel. I wish you a speedy recovery, and take advantage of those pain meds. I know for something like my sternum they can't really bind it, but can't they put your elbow in a sling to at least immobilize it while it heals? I can't imagine the pain, considering it's where your arm bends. Mine I can at least get away with no lifting :/
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
A sling immobilizes nothing, and puts all the weight on my neck. I have one, but I stopped using it.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist
Sure it was a doctor you saw? I've only seen these kinds of mess ups with nurse practitioners.

Is there anyway to cast a broken elbow?

Hope you have a fast recovery!
Yep, his nametag said doctor.

No casts for a fracture, it heals normally on its own.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist
That still sucks :( Hope it heals quickly!
:icone-c-h:
e-c-h Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
man, hope it heals fast
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Just don't bump it against anything.</PERSONAL experience>
It’s possible that the elbow was swollen in such a way that it masked the fracture on the x-ray, especially if they did it fairly soon after the injury. They’re supposed to wait a few hours before doing the imaging, to wait for the swelling to go down. But they don’t always. Doctors miss fractures all the time.
How soon is fairly soon? Because it was over 24 hours later.
Wait -this sort of explains why the elbow x-ray is difficult [link]
Hmm. No, they should have caught it 24 hours later. I was talking within 4 hours, like in the ER. Although I have seen cases where it was a week later before they caught it. Joints are tricky to x-ray, especially the elbow. It‘s considered the most difficult body part to x-ray correctly -although I don‘t know why. I just know that if you don’t use the correct angle, you can miss the fracture and that the doctors get pissed when the x-rays have to be redone, because they eat the cost. They usually take three angles.
Cost shouldn't matter here though. X-rays, like most basic medical treatments, are covered by provincial health care.

I can kinda see how it's difficult, especially when my arm won't straighten even with force applied, but when he pointed it out on the recent set of images, it seemed pretty obvious, a big black line where there should be a smooth curve. And it seemed to me they contorted my arm into the same set of painful positions both times, though that may not be true, to be fair.
I’m in the US. You must be in Canada. Here all healthcare is about money.

I’m sure it’s true that they contorted it. But if your range of motion was limited that much by the injury, I’m baffled that they didn’t assume the x-ray was an error or that they didn’t immobilize your arm with a sling.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
able to know it*
The hospital might not be at fault.

I've been told that breaks can be hard to see on xrays when they are new. I've been recommended to put my arm in a sling for a day and then go get it x-rayed. Really fine fractures ( like hairline etc) can take up to a week before they are able to show up on x-ray.

I've broken my left wrist multiple times, and sometimes they've been to it without even x-raying it. (just by the angle of my hand and lack of movement etc.) but other times, I've had to have it x-rayed multiple times.

However, those times I've taken into account that I've broken bones before, and I had a lot of pain + lack of movement, so instead of just going 'no breaks showed up on the x-ray, you're fine!' they trusted what I said and looked at my symptoms and they've told me 'I think your wrist is broken, but it's not showing up on the x-ray, keep it in a sling, don't move it, and come back in two days.'

But then again, they might just be idiots :shrug:
I didn't go to the hospital right away though, only when the pain got really bad the next day. And even though I can't bend or straighten my arm without crying, I wasn't taken seriously at all.

Guy was just a jackass I think.
:iconicthos:
icthos Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   General Artist
I had that. I got drunk and did a flying kick at my mate but fell awkwardly when he tensed up. We went out and drank some more and I noticed that I couldnt bend my arm or straighten it without it hurting a lot. I had to rock out on the dance floor with one arm held like a t-rex claw. Got it xrayed the next day and they said it was fractured. It will be at least a month til yours gets better. Probs two months for a full recovery. If you are at uni make sure you get an extension cos everyday things will take twice as long. But look on the bright side - now that you know how crap hospitals are, you'll never be getting injured or sick again, right?!
I am surprised they did not immobilize your arm, just in case.
Still. However, with the amount of pain etc, they should have at least bandaged and/or given you a sling.

Did your doctor at least put it in a cast? I know bones heal themselves, but in areas like elbows, they should be put in casts. I broke my left elbow when I was like 4, amd they put a massive, pink cast on me.

I don't know why, but every time I break a bone, it's my left arm. :o
No, I guess with fractures, the solution is literally to do nothing and wait it out. A cast would not help or so i'm told.
Since when?! The more you move it, the less it's going to heal?! I'd get a second opinion...
My second opinion is in. She said i'm banned from pushing, pulling, lifting and twisting my wrist, but that I need to keep trying to move my wrist up and down, to move my elbow up and down in a straight line as long as it doesn't hurt, and to move my shoulder so I don't get frozen shoulder, which takes months to heal. Basically, I need to be cautious, but I can't let my muscles shrivel and die while I heal.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Dude, thats shit man, can you not, go ballistic at them? However, at least your hospital isn't the worst in the country, or one that has ever existed. The hospital near mine was done for 39 cases of negligence, including a man that starved to death, another person whos ribs were broken and were screaming in agony because they didn't get any painkillers. It was bad.

Here:
:icontenshizuru:
Tenshizuru Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
That sounds a lot like a hospital I was in. Lost 80 pounds in the two months I was there and they insisted there was nothing wrong with me and it was all in my head.

Here I thought healthcare there was so much better :noes: You've shattered my dreams :cries:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I think a few issues cannot be judged against the entire thing, the NHS is better than American healthcare, because privatising has allowed the increase in costs, over here, if you go private, you still pay a very low amount of money, because the NHS will allow it free. Competition and all that.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist
My old manager was hiking and fell down a small hill...sadly that hill was full of sharp lava rock :lol: Well her knees were pretty roughed up so she went to the hospital and the doctor started to get to work on removing the gravel and junk from the knees (forgot to give her the pain killer shot before going to town), then sewed her up without taking xrays to make sure the gravel was all out. Guess what, there was still gravel in there and got super infected. I'm sure these kinds of mistakes are not that common compared to how many patients are seen, but they still suck :(
Oh thats awful, I did hear one about a child who went to hospital, they said to leave, but the kid started turning blue, they said it was "normal". The child died in their mothers arm a few minutes later.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist
That is awful :( I can't even imagine what it'd be like going through that.
:iconnirvanagenesis:
NirvanaGenesis Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Pulling excuses out their ass so they didn't have to treat the kid? Terrible.
Well, the child died. I don't know why, I think this one was in America, however.
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Traditional Artist
A man starved to death in a hospital? That's nasty stuff.
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah, it is pretty awful D:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Traditional Artist
I think that qualifies for more than "pretty" awful. The apology is a start the other way, though.
They apologise, but are not taking the blame for it. Basically.
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   Traditional Artist
Well, poo on them.
Add a Comment: