"O hai, I just bought a dog. What's a dog?"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Why the fuck can't people study whatever animal they want, before getting it?

If you come to dA to ask about pit bull care (or what to do with a sick kitten, or to beg for money for vet bills), it is clear you are not equipped to care for your pet.

Even if there are no places near you that can help, a quick google about pretty much any type of pet will lead to posts in forums specifically about that animal. Forums filled with breeders and other owners who know a lot.
If you haven't found such a place, it's a clear sign that you can't be bothered to do the tiniest thing to ensure your pet is taken care of.

Most breeders and pet owners in general will happily write looooong texts about their pets. They love them and want to help others see how great they are too. It's an awesome resource, and it's there for you just a google away!
For example: Some guinea pig owners in my country are better at diagnosing over the internet than most vets are when handling the pig, because they've loved g-pigs for so long, and vets are only just lately bothering to know more about them. (About 15 years ago, vets used to say that a sick guinea pig was a dead guinea pig, since people didn't bother taking them to get treated, but just got them put down and got new ones.)

So you have this awesome resource to learn from before getting a pet, and should use it.
But no, no no! You see a critter, think it's cute, decide that you must have it, and don't give a shit about the rest.

Hell, it's the up-scale idiots who think to ask any questions anywhere. Most just get the animal, think they "can handle" it, and let things go awry. :(
Comments298
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I volunteer at a cat shelter that arrives at a pet store every week, and we always have this sign in the front, WITH a barricade, clearly stating that NO dogs come into the area so the cats don't get all worked up.

Well, this one dumbass lady came in, picked up her dog, and shoved it's face right next to one of the cat cages, claiming that her dog has never seen a cat before and wanted to "introduce" it to a cat so it'd know what it'd look like. :stare:

And a guy did the same thing this week, except he just picked up the dog outside of the barrier and showed it the cats in the cage closest to the carrier.

And not to mention that it's so sad to see the full-grown cats get barely any attention from the customers. All they want are kittens and its just ugh. :(
:cling:

I get such a sad feeling in my heart when people are uncaring like that. These aren't all people too stupid to know better, they just only care about their own wants and needs.
:hug:

None of the kitties got hurt, but it's just so irritating how self-centered they can be. There's very few of them though thank goodness. Well, one of our older cats that had been coming for a whole year got adopted this week. It was quite a celebration for us. :dummy:
Yeah, it was great. :la: January seems to be a good month for adoptions: we had four this week and only had two cats left at the end of the day.
I want a cat sooooo much! (But I can't - tiny apartment, and the living room belongs to the guinea pigs.)
awwww, I'm sure you'll get one someday! Guinea pigs are cute though.

I'm adopting two kittens from this rescue, but they have ring worm, so I have no idea when they'll be able to come home with me. :crying:
View all replies
Sometimes a lot of research doesn't help at all. I got lots of research, help, and even went to a vet, and in the end, my leopard gecko still died because she refused to eat and no one knew why. But I'll admit, research is a lot better than going into something without any knowledge.
guinnea pigs are cute :3
Research and self-reflection. People can do all the research in the world, but they won't be prepared for a high energy animal if the person is actually quite sedentary. Instead of thinking "I like to go outside a lot and exercise, so <working dog=""> would be great for me!", they think "If I get <working dog=""> I'll be FORCED to exercise more with it!"

But to add onto the lack of research, my friends and I once overheard a woman asking if a chihuahua puppy she was looking at liked to play. She was also shocked that it wouldn't grow as big as the husky pups. :stare: The damn thing fit into her hand, did she think it was a newborn?</working></working>
What the fuck, I thought those tags didn't freak out unless you actually had code in them. :saddummy:
My theory is that if you can't look after an animal, then you should not be allowed to breed. It seriously isn't that hard!
I especially HATE when people think that just because their dog is the size of a small cat that it doesn't need to be trained -.- Like c'mon! Your little annoying shit fucker of a dog is NOT an easy going, do-whatever-I-want cat. It needs to be trained to know what to do & what it's not allowed to do!
I hate walking my dog down my street as there is always this one mutt of a midget dog outside it's owners house wandering alone on the road. It runs up to my dog and tries to bite him & barks at him & follows us! My dog is just like 'WTF BRO' and keeps walking. TRAIN YOUR DOG!
I even trained our car to put her front paws on the cupboard/door when she wants out or is hungry. If I can train a cat one thing I'm sure you can train your dog!
Fuck people
And the sentence "He'd never bite anyone!" should be punished by death.

Seriously, my friend has a dog that doesn't play well with other male dogs, and she always keeps im on a leash and under complete control. Or she would, if other people could keep their dogs from coming up to hers.
Exactly!!

That is the only real issue I have with people. I can fully trust my dog, but you can never trust other peoples!! There is this one dog across the road from us (some sort of rottweiller breed [although I do love rotties, nothing against them!]) and when my dog was younger we had him playing ball in the park across the road. The owner of the rottie/thing went to put out their bins & this dog escaped their yard! Scared the shit out of me & my dog! Ran straight up to my dog (all while the owner is yelling & just standing there doing nothing) and bowled him right over! Thankfully he didn't actually attack or bite or anything. But he did knock him to the ground (and was about 4 times the size of my pup at that stage). I think he just wanted to play (I never see them walk this dog or anything).

But fuck! The dog didn't listen at all to the owner - did not come when called & just proceeded to follow us home. I had to pick up my dog and take him home cuz I was too scared this dog would hurt him.

I hate people so much.
I should also note I'm aware sphinxes actually have peach fuzz and aren't truly bald :grump: people just call them bald so I went with the less technical truth. Let's see how fast people accuse me of lying about the research thing.
:c People are stupid like that. Seriously last time my cat had something weird going on (his fur was all getting matted around his back) my first instinct was the check google for both reasons it could be happening and how to best get the mats out without hurting the poor dear. If I didn't have computing skills I would have called the vet instead. And the thing is I know a lot about cat care otherwise, I love me some cats so I've done a good amount of research on cats.

Heck when I thought about wanting a sphinx cat I went and checked out online to see common health problems LONG BEFORE I WOULD EVEN HAVE THE MONEY TO GET ONE. I'm still not in a position to get a sphinx but I want to know its unique health problems considering a mutant bald cat BEFORE actually getting one. Some people just.... :iconeratsplz:
Yeah, that's the only way to go about it.
Also, I spend too much fucking time with my favorite animals. I can "speak" cat, dog and goat pretty well now...
I know some people that keep getting pets they shouldn't have. I don't think they go to the internet for advice, but I also am pretty sure they don't go to vets, pet stores, or any other place that will help their animals be cured of their filth-related problems after living in a house full of piss and shit (not even kidding, the animals just potty wherever and whenever). And then "oops" no money to neuter the males or spay the females and of course, this means more babies...

Not bad enough to call animal control on (most of the animals live pretty long lives and are surprisingly not terribly sickly), but ugh.
Ugh. :stare:

I once knew this woman who decided she just had to have about 47563281478148641 (rough estimate :lol:) terrariums of various exotics on a whim.

She then got surprised at her electric bill and sold all of the critters again.

I just don't get that.
I agree.

When my boyfriend agreed on taking in (a) pet rat(/rats) as I had kind of asked him to, we read several websites about them (how you have to keep them, the dos and don'ts, what you can feed them and what you can't, what diseases are common and how to recognize them, etc.) before we got them.
Though it still went sort of wrong, because well, we didn't quite know how to tell females from males. We got an adult rat at the petstore, and then got a young one at a home address (that we were refered to by a petstore). We requested a male for the young one, as the adult one was male also, and even repeatedly asked if it really was. The guy told us it was, and well not knowing how to check it ourselves and thinking we could trust a guy that supplied the petstore, we went for it.
Turned out it was a female and we ended up with a whole nest of critters. Luckily we managed to find homes for most of them, and are now left with 3 of them (their daddy died a while back).

Even though I think my story shows that when it's your first time with a certain type of pet things can still go wrong, I do agree that you should at least try to find out a decent bit about it before buying one.
I once had a guinea pig baby, and I just couldn't tell. I had to take a picture of its bits and post them to a forum. (Was a boy.)
Kind of made me feel like a creepy pedo, posting baby genitals on the internet. :lol:
Yeah, well, we really thought we could trust someone who bred rats. Only found out he didn't know his bussiness either when it was too late. :no:
:lol: Male rats have pretty big balls.