Critiques

First off, I apologize if my spelling sucks, I'm typing this on my phone.

So, I personally love getting critique and am working on trying to give critique more often.

Of course, there's all the people who ask for critique and can't take it when someone doesn't ass-pat everything they do, and I just want to slap them a few times upside the head. I cannot stand someone asking for a critique and then calling it "bashing." There is a difference between bashing and bluntly critiquing. This of course is a double edges blade as people will say they just "gave a harsh critique" to justify their bashing.

I really cannot stand when someone will look at a critique that doesn't start with "OMG I REALLY LIKE THIS." or another way of complimenting the work before starting a critique. I for one will get straight to the point and don't really touch on the "pros" as I rather show the flaws for the artist and suggest ways they can improve. ((I'm working on always providing some links)) I prefer to compliment work in the comments section.

I was going to write more in a better setup but I lost my train of thought. .-.
Any input guys?

A random side note: I complain to much.
Comments77
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
There's constructive criticism and blunt/harsh criticism.
Constructive criticism would be trying to help the artist to know where to improve and how to do so, and be polite enough about it.
Blunt criticism is this: "Da fuk iz dis shyt! U call dat a fakin dr@wing?? U dru dis & dat rong, u stoopid bish!! U shud dye & neva dr@w ahgen! i h8 it and i h8 u!!!11!1!12"

And I can see why people would get upset over that but if it's constructive criticism they are being butt hurt about, then they're just being pussies.
Yes!
I don't like when someone just says something sucks. When they actually point out flaws and even just that it's even better. Better if they point out how to improve.
I personally care less about praise in a critique, as I don't ask for critiques to be praised on my work, that's what comments / favorites are for me.
I honestly don't mind if you are straight forward an harsh, as long as you know what you are talking about. Lol... and you give me some tips about it. Other that' bombs away... critique the shit out of it... actually... anyone want to critique my art now?
I personally don't mind people harshly critiquing my work, how else would I improve? What would annoy me is if someone just pointed out all the negatives without giving any ways to help me improve.
I'm personally a critical artist and I wish I received more critiques then I do.
Spelling depends upon the person writing/typing, not the tool used to do so...
*facepalm* I meant in terms of paying attention to autocorrect or not.
But then again. You're Prosaix... imagine if you were an autocorrect. .-.
I think some people just handle things at the wrong moment. Sometimes I get people asking for help about something (such as the 'Hey I'm new to dA how does this work/what are llamas good for' simple question type), a critique, a longer comment, etc, when I'm really not in the mood for making a good response or looking at it. Know something that's pretty fucking simple to do when that happens? Not x it away or responding at the moment and saving it for later. It may leave people waiting, but that's better than giving them a slap in the face for taking the time to try and help you.

I believe the same method works if you are the type who easily feels insulted at first over a critique. Go away for a moment, do something else and calm the fuck down. It doesn't take THAT much energy to not make yourself look like a fucking asshole :lol:
Indeed. It's what I do with long comments in the morning when I hop on to check feedback. I normally reply to the shortest things first and reply to the longer comments when I've got time.

:D
I really don't see the point of giving critiques on deviantART anymore. When I do manage to try to be helpful to people on deviantART (and that's the people that ask), I usually now just cut straight to the point and I don't go into detail because people cannot handle critique. Critique is akin to you attacking their children; their creation and their talent.

Two things happen when I give critiques: Either the artist is very, very grateful for the advice or the artist ends up hating me and thinking I'm a terrible person. And it seems lately all I'm getting is the second reaction and quite frankly, it makes me not to want to give any critiques at all considering that when I truly bother to give a decent critique they end up being 1000-3000 words. That means sitting down and looking at the art, looking at the artist's other works, researching examples/tutorials, and sometimes painting my own examples. That's an hour or so that I now consider wasting time because I've just been discouraged from actually caring enough to give input.
Indeed.

That's really quite sad. ;-;
Sucks that people's rude reactions are making you not want to critique work anymore, especially if your critiques are that detailed.
I take the approach that every piece of art has pros and cons so I start my critiques with what I like about the art and then I go into the critique. I find that when you do it this way the artist is much more willing to accept the negative parts of the critique. The idea that critiques by nature most only be harsh, in my mind, is misguided. How can you know what is missing in a piece, unless you first identify what has been accomplished.
I definitely agree with your version of a critique. :nod:
You're welcome! I usually critique the same way, for. I find it very effective. (when people critique me that way it helps...so I'd like to think it helps others, too)
Yes I do think its quite effective. I have done several critiques to date and, so far, no one has come after me for giving them an unfair critique.
I like getting critiques by asking a poll question about part of a drawing. I get a yes or no answer. I admit I have trouble taking them when I don't expect them, especially if they are just a list of fault finding with no kind words at all.
That's a good idea. I'll have to try sometime.

I agree there. There's a reason there's an Artists Comment / Request Critiques.
"Just a list of fault finding with no kind words at all" is still a good critique. When someone gives you a critique they don't have to compliment you at all. A critique is analyzing and dissecting a piece of work (whether it be art, literature, film, etc). And while I make it a habit when I do bother to critique someone to throw in little compliments, I shouldn't have to just to spare the artist's feelings. This is why I don't give critiques anymore. I get tired of having to throw in compliments rather than spending that time to really help the artist improve.

I'm not saying to regard people who are blatantly insulting your art. What I'm saying is that if you're ready to dismiss critiques because you can't find a compliment in them or "kind words", you are really robbing yourself of an opportunity to improve as an artist. :shrug:
I don't believe that people's feelings should mean nothing as if they're just a dart board for those hard-ass types who have terrible interpersonal skills. There is always something good in every piece of art (I've come up with stuff countless times in the thumbshare section regardless of how novice it may be).
I'm not saying that feelings shouldn't be taken into consideration. I'm not telling you to not feel anything if you get a critique. You are not a person with a heart of stone.

What I'm telling you is that you don't always need compliments in a critique to help you improve. A critique isn't there positively nor negatively reinforce you. It is there to let you know what you can do so that next time, it can be better.