Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 76

Critiques

:iconparadedemon:
ParadeDemon Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Artist
First off, I apologize if my spelling sucks, I'm typing this on my phone.

So, I personally love getting critique and am working on trying to give critique more often.

Of course, there's all the people who ask for critique and can't take it when someone doesn't ass-pat everything they do, and I just want to slap them a few times upside the head. I cannot stand someone asking for a critique and then calling it "bashing." There is a difference between bashing and bluntly critiquing. This of course is a double edges blade as people will say they just "gave a harsh critique" to justify their bashing.

I really cannot stand when someone will look at a critique that doesn't start with "OMG I REALLY LIKE THIS." or another way of complimenting the work before starting a critique. I for one will get straight to the point and don't really touch on the "pros" as I rather show the flaws for the artist and suggest ways they can improve. ((I'm working on always providing some links)) I prefer to compliment work in the comments section.

I was going to write more in a better setup but I lost my train of thought. .-.
Any input guys?

A random side note: I complain to much.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   Digital Artist
There's constructive criticism and blunt/harsh criticism.
Constructive criticism would be trying to help the artist to know where to improve and how to do so, and be polite enough about it.
Blunt criticism is this: "Da fuk iz dis shyt! U call dat a fakin dr@wing?? U dru dis & dat rong, u stoopid bish!! U shud dye & neva dr@w ahgen! i h8 it and i h8 u!!!11!1!12"

And I can see why people would get upset over that but if it's constructive criticism they are being butt hurt about, then they're just being pussies.
ParadeDemon Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Artist
Yes!
I don't like when someone just says something sucks. When they actually point out flaws and even just that it's even better. Better if they point out how to improve.
I personally care less about praise in a critique, as I don't ask for critiques to be praised on my work, that's what comments / favorites are for me.
:iconask-araknia:
ask-araknia Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
I honestly don't mind if you are straight forward an harsh, as long as you know what you are talking about. Lol... and you give me some tips about it. Other that' bombs away... critique the shit out of it... actually... anyone want to critique my art now?
ParadeDemon Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Artist
That. :D
:iconask-araknia:
ask-araknia Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional General Artist
lol what?
:iconcrazie-girl:
Crazie-Girl Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I personally don't mind people harshly critiquing my work, how else would I improve? What would annoy me is if someone just pointed out all the negatives without giving any ways to help me improve.
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm personally a critical artist and I wish I received more critiques then I do.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Spelling depends upon the person writing/typing, not the tool used to do so...
ParadeDemon Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Artist
*facepalm* I meant in terms of paying attention to autocorrect or not.
But then again. You're Prosaix... imagine if you were an autocorrect. .-.
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Traditional Artist
I think some people just handle things at the wrong moment. Sometimes I get people asking for help about something (such as the 'Hey I'm new to dA how does this work/what are llamas good for' simple question type), a critique, a longer comment, etc, when I'm really not in the mood for making a good response or looking at it. Know something that's pretty fucking simple to do when that happens? Not x it away or responding at the moment and saving it for later. It may leave people waiting, but that's better than giving them a slap in the face for taking the time to try and help you.

I believe the same method works if you are the type who easily feels insulted at first over a critique. Go away for a moment, do something else and calm the fuck down. It doesn't take THAT much energy to not make yourself look like a fucking asshole :lol:
Add a Comment: