Children at my counter

I understand, dear parents, that you want your children to be independent and brave and that they need to learn how to talk to the nice lady at the snackbar counter by themselves eventually, but if you're going to insist on sending them out to get food for the whole gang alone, at least glance over our prices to make sure you gave them enough money first.

It inevitably happens that a small child waits patiently in line, rattles off a huge order to me, and then when I finish it, realizes that he's short money. It happens literally ALL THE TIME. And this isn't just short a few cents or a couple dollars, this kid was short ten bucks. Ten whole dollars. Because his parents failed to realize that this is a movie theater and our prices are jacked through the roof and you sent him out with ten dollars but he ordered twenty dollars worth of food.

And then he stares at me for a minute as if I'm going to magically pull ten bucks out of my ear and give it to him. (The worst part is, some parents try this intentionally, thinking we can't say no to a cute little kid. They're wrong.)

Needless to say, he ran off without any food at all, meaning I had to throw his entire order away. :stare: It's a gigantic waste of food, my time, the kid's time, and the time of the people stuck waiting behind the kid.

tl;dr
Don't send your kid to buy food if you don't give him enough money. He's nine, he ain't got a job, he ain't paying for that shit by himself.
Comments204
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Thank goodness that kind of thing really didn't happen much in my old job(I no longer work retail). I feel sorry for kids whose parents use them in this manner, these kids are lucky if they don't grow up thinking scamming people is an acceptable thing to do.
=( how annoying for you and I feel horrible for the kids whose parents subject them to that. The parents should really be going with them to the counter :| have you every seen a kid spill half the food whilst trying to carrying it away from the counter by themselves?
Only EVERY DAY. GAH. Poor itty bitty toddlers can't hold a tray of popcorn steady and yet mom and dad insist that they carry it and then look so shocked when it ends up on the floor. I'm just like "Why you lookin' at me? You made him hold it."
I work at a grocery store that's within walking distance to some neighborhoods and apartment complexes, so we get kids sent on errands all the time. Except once in a while they get sent with food stamp cards, and I guess the parent neglects to tell them how it works. They either have no idea what a PIN number is, or don't know what they can get with it. I had two kids try to buy dog treats. And every time there's a problem, they just look at me. :saddummy:
That's really annoying. :C
Fucked up.
... Working at a movie theatre sounds like balls.
It has good perks and it's not terrible work, I just wish it payed better.
Do you get free candy or soda? I'd be fat as he'll if I was around that food all day.
I get free drinks and popcorn, as well as free movies. Any candy I have to pay full price for, but I usually bring my own in so that's not a problem.
That's actually pretty stinking good. O: Definitely worth it.
It's a really nice perk. It almost makes up for the really crummy pay.
Especially if you really like going to the movies. Saves a lot of money on the tickets. (:
Oh, wow 0: Sweet!
I had crippling shyness as a kid (still have some left over, though I've gotten MUCH better). I'd probably never make it within 10 feet of the counter. :blush:
Crazy parents..
It's always been on of my fears. You know, just going to the counter, with your stuff, then you realize you don't have enough money. Then the lady behind her register just gives you the look because she has to throw away your food because you were a dumbass and didn't realize that you had 10 bucks instead of 20. Then you start hearing the sighs of the people waiting in line behind you, because they know they're going to have to wait another 5 minutes.

I shudder at the thought. That's why I always make sure I at least have 10 dollars more than what it would be supposed to cost me, just so that if I fucked up, I still got a little extra. Though seriously, you could have told him to go get his parents to bring more money before he ran off. I know that when I was little, some cashiers would just be dicks and yell at me for forgetting about taxes and stuff. Bad experiences.
I'd never yell at a kid, but I have gently suggested to them to ask their parents for more money before. This kid did say he was going to bring more money, but then never returned.
Oh, well that's another story.
My pet peeve is parents who make their children order when they're too young to speak properly (missing baby teeth, etc). I had this one lady get really annoyed at me, because I couldn't understand her child. I can usually understand children speaking but this one was just impossible to understand. The lady was like, "HE SAID HE WANTS A HOT DOG WITH CHEESE." in a tone that implied it was so obvious that I must have something wrong with me if I didn't understand. I just said, "If you say so." and went to make it.

Also, (not that it has anything to do with children ordering,) [link]
This video made me happier than it should have.
I'm glad to hear it (I think)!
I'm so tired I read that as "Chicken at my counter." :lmao:
:iconangelishi: go spam her fucking page!
Why the Hell would I do that.