Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 126

It's Easier to Break the Law

:iconaret:
Aret Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Don't worry mods, i'll keep it innocent and not describe in too much detail the ways in which i'm a dirty, nasty law breaker. :flirty:

Thing is, I love reading, and in the last year, i've decided I love e-reading. And I have this fancy, expensive tablet (not the art kind, but the Asus Transformer) on which I adore reading books.

DRM prevents this.

Although I bought the fucking books with real money from Kobo, Kobo's OWN APP will not open the books on my tablet. I can't find any way around this. I've tried every fucking thing I can think of, and I can't access MY OWN BOOKS.

DRM never used to be a thing I thought about at all, but now it's literally ruining my ability to enjoy books. And I mean, i'm sitting here with real money that I would be willing to offer companies. It's not like I want to be doing illegal things. I feel like i'm backed into a corner here. Book stores are hard to get to, and ebooks are more transportable and convenient, so i'm not quite willing to give them up, but they're making this hard on me.

So I did what I had to do and in less than a minute I was able to access MY books on whatever I wanted. I find it aggravating that I had to pay extra money to use MY STUFF though. The free programs suck too much.

And for all their worries about pirating? Guess what, I tried that first, and failed. People don't fucking pirate books. The internet generation might as well be illiterate for all the actual literature on torrent sites and the like.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongrimcw:
GrimCW Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
isn't DRM fun? and then locking us down to one device line or another on top of it..

TBH its why i do enjoy my IPad, while not much better on the DRM its built in book reader is nice enough to stick with (and its free with the device)
and a quick jailbreak makes it easy enough to import other digital books to the Ibook reader for other ones that i had..

sucks having everything stuck in itunes though.. fucking can't stand itunes...
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I feel the same about my iPod. I adore it, but itunes is a load of bullshit. :<

I might have got an iPad but i'm now firmly an Asus fan, and their tablet is just amazing. Plus it comes with a detachable keyboard and is several hundred dollars cheaper.
:icongrimcw:
GrimCW Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Heh, tbh i love Asus's PC hardware. Always been a huge fan and have had an Asus running my systems for nearly 10 years now.
haven't tried their tablet yet.. Didn't exist when i got my Ipad...
:iconhtblack:
HtBlack Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
:paranoid: curiously enough, I can find ebooks fine via torrents. Not as many as I'd like to, but a whole good bunch of them. I got my mother a Paperwhite for Christmas, and downloaded a bunch of ebooks in Italian (I'm surprised there even WERE torrents for those, it's like Italy is a third world country or something).

Also, Calibre is a good application I've been using, and it's free.
:iconsynapticboomstick:
SynapticBoomstick Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well that's damn brilliant :roll:, yet another reason for me to stick to paperbacks.
:iconcleverzed:
Cleverzed Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeeaaahh I have noticed how fucking difficult it is to find ebooks on torrent sites. Demonoid had quite a few, but the last time I checked demonoid didn't exist anymore.
:iconi-stamp:
i-stamp Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I don't get these people who are all like 'Feel of pages, smell of book!' I pick up books because I like reading, not the feel or smell of paper. I want as many books as I can digest with my eyes, and I don't want to break the bank or my back getting them. So e-reader was not a hard decision.

Any way, if you can get the book files on your hard drive, using a file converter breaks the drm. Means it won't work with cloud storage though.
Aret Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I do like the feel of a real book, and there is some pleasure in turning pages, but ultimately I agree with you, what I enjoy most is the books. I care about the stories, not how they're presented.
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Traditional Artist
Most of the books I've been getting lately are pop-up books and children's picture books, so they're pretty useless as electronic. :lol:
:icon81984:
81984 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
:iconangelishi: go spam her fucking page!
Add a Comment: