Misinformation that surrounds schooling horrifies me

I know that the education system isn't perfect, that's one of the reasons why I want to become an educator... but there are so many people that are misinformed/ignorant to education.

I'm sick of hearing:

- Early education is 'babysitting'.
- All homework is useless.
- 'If you can't do, teach!'
- 'You're smart! why lower yourself to... that'

The last two really annoy me. We need intelligent teachers and most importantly, we need passionate teachers. It's not something to do if you can't do something else. It's not something you do for the money. If you don't like children and if you don't like teaching, I can guarantee you're not going to be good.

I can't even bother to write up all the shit I hear. If you want to hear some really fucked up opinions on schooling, just take gander at the politics forum. :iconfacepalmplz:
Comments114
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Some places can't hire intelligent teachers because the shitty teachers are protected by their Union and thus cannot be fired so that intelligent, good, passionate teachers can take their place.
Screw what people think. Teaching is about the pupils, not the people surrounding the teacher.
Actually, teaching involves students, parents and the wider community.
only if you are a school teacher
Nope. All parts should be part of a successful education system. School isn't about just academics. It's about learning to be part of society.
teaching is not about education system. there are numerous private classes, courses and also internet teaching internationally. education is a part of life, it exists in every living-to-living interaction. man you should get rid of your objectivity habit if you want to be a good teacher :D
If you look through this thread, you'll see I've already mentioned those ;)

The education system isn't in everyday living.

Internet teaching, private classes etc should all be done together in a group, and they should involve the wider community. Even with home schooling, private classes etc. My friend was homeschooled and once a month she meet with a group of other homeschooled children. and once a month they had an excursion, which is the involvement of the wider community.

This isn't me not being objective. This is me looking at what research and studying says.
i didnt say objective, i said objection habit. i forgot which thread this was in.

and i also was not talking about the education system, but the education in general. if you want to talk about the system its ok.

its true that every student that goes trough education should be involved in the system in one way or another, even if it simply means getting together with the peers. a system should encourage information and emotional exchange between peers, not force them into externalization (ie bullying in usa) or competition (the idealist monotype in china). people learn from each other as much as from a teacher-student situation. i know this contradicts with what i said earlier but earlier i was trying to define universal education. in a system these things are a must.
Oh, hi! I'm Disappointing Reality. Allow me to introduce you my good friend, the Sad Truth: [link]
Oh, hi! I'm not an American. Allow me to introduce yourself to the mythical world that exists outside of America!

Furthermore, he's wrong. Some of the countries with the best education systems are capitalistic, for example Finland.

Also, if they really wanted to make sure that people were dumb, they'd remove homeschooling / distance education.But they don't.

If anything, it's the common people who don't want anything to change. If enough people spoke out about the education system it'd have to change. But no one gives a fuck, so they don't.
"Allow me to introduce yourself to the mythical world that exists outside of America!"

:iconyoudontsayplz: Nem mondod?

"Furthermore, he's wrong. Some of the countries with the best education systems are capitalistic, for example Finland."

You're mistaking capitalism with the NWO's globalist plutocracy. (He was talking about that.)

Anyway, I seem to have a lack of information here: What makes an education system "good"? What are the traits we should aim for, when planning out such a system?

"If anything, it's the common people who don't want anything to change."

Welcome to democracy, where the torrent of shit tells you the one direction we're all going (pun intended).
I think its a vicious cycle, too many shitty teachers leave a shitty impression of teaching on the next generation which leads to more shitty teachers because hey 'good money and holidays!' and so on.
With some of my teachers from high school I always wondered why they bothered to be a teacher when they clearly couldn't handle it, pretty much the entire school made it a game to make her cry in lessons, which always happens and she's still working now as far as I'm aware which really baffles me.
I've had too many teachers that couldn't do their job properly, very few seemed to actually care about their job and want to teach.
That's an excuse. I had some poor experiences at school. Instead of just sitting around whining about it, I'm trying to actually change schooling.
Well its what it looks like to me,or at least what it seems like from people I'm around and talk to adult and student.
As for whining, I didn't mean to appear as if I was whining, I was just trying to say I rarely had teachers that seemed to care about their job like you do, or appeared to have got in through the 'back door' for one of a better word.
At least you care, maybe the kids you teach in the future won't be douchy teens.
Personally, I believe than parents need to make an effort to introduce higher-level learning to very young children. Even before they get into formal schooling. And then, the schools need to present those same higher expectations of the students. The sad fact is that it's been known for quite some time that kids minds are at their most teachable state during their first 5 years of development, and yet most parents are content to prop up their babies in front of brightly colored plastic or let their toddlers stare at TV shows with mentally deficient protagonists until they're old enough to become the ward of the state educational system.

If I ever have a kid, I'm going to make damn sure that they will be able to read and do basic math by the time the state expects me to turn them over to the sick joke that is known as the "Education system".
I'm specializing in 0-12 years, especially from 0-5, so you're preaching to the choir :lol:

I know it'd probably never happen,but I'd love to create a program for parents that could be use instead pf or in conjunction with enrolling their child in early education.

It'd consist of a book with an short overview of different areas of development, important skills, and play based learning. Along side that, I'd have a book that was full of inspiration, ideas, etc.
I feel like most of the teachers I've had have been smart, but most of them just aren't that passionate.

Or incredibly misled.
Referring to this I see. [link] :D

I agree, what most people don't realize, especially those in school still, that homework and quizzes and test do not only test you on trivial knowledge, but how you teach yourself to remember things when most needed and whether or not you can solve the issue regardless of its complexity. That is the important skill that will last a lifetime. People who do not learn to adjust quickly to their environment will be left behind, thus college. And they will decrease their possibility of finding a well paying job.

And when I hear another person moan about college and demean it, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Or laugh harder. :laughing:
'If you can't do, teach!'

Oh how I dislike this phrase so much. I've had bad teachers(although part of that was probably my fault) good teachers and teachers that I was pretty much in awe of both their accomplishments and life outlook.

Teachers put so much work into teaching. they put their salaries as well a their lives into helping their students grow and become better, more well-rounded individuals.

Its sad that people don't appreciate them and the work that they do.
You know what's babysitting?
Fucking middle to high school.
My god, that was the worst.
I couldn't teach. Teaching looks like a damn hard job.
The place I live in really seems to try and appreciate teachers...and yet refuses to pay them decently.

I will never understand my states logic...
I'm tired of hearing that college is a waste of time because you don't learn anything.
If someone doesn't learn anything in college then they are doing something wrong. They are taking the wrong courses or just don't give a shit about learning anything in the first place and shouldn't even be there.