...but you just don't understand!

I need to do a bit of complaining, because I am getting quite irritated here. (Big surprise huh? Since that's what this forum's for!)

The thing is I am working on a schoolproject about my favorite band/artist and my guiding teacher has accidentally sent me down a snakepit.
My teacher has repeatedly requested me to look into the connection between this band/artist and the gothic subculture: How vital the existence of the subculture was to help this band's/artist's rise to fame, and how this band/artist has influence the subculture from there on.
I thought these were some sensible questions to answer so I started researching it today on the Internet, BUT: The vast majority of websites I am running into are hating and pissing on this artist/band for not being goth (which is alright, they may have that opinion), but especially for being fake and just a lame commercial 'shock rock' act that has nothing to do with goth.

And the latter is what angers me, because I believe most of these people have come to this conclusion because they have never really looked into this band/artist. Because they don't understand what it is(was mostly) about.
Because it becomes obvious very soon when you do look into it that the things that this band/artist has created, especially around the peak of their/his carreer, are very complex. They are filled with comments, critiques and ideas that are in my opinion very intelligent and good. And they often represent the same values as the group of people who are so hating on this band/artist for having nothing to do with goth, would mention as core values of the scene.

<bold>And I am just so fed up with people hating on things based on nothing but their own (wrongful and possibly stupid) assumptions! </bold>
If you want to hate on something because it's just not your thing, fine.
If you want to hate on something because you disagree with it, fine.
But for real, hating on something that you don't understand and assuming it to be something that you must hate is just... ARGH!

There.
Now why don't you all go ahead and make some nice and supportive comments that will make me feel less fed up with humanity? :D
(Don't worry, I know that's not to be expected in this part of the forum.)

Bonus complaint:
I am fed up with the fact that law enforcement doesn't seem to care about people lighting fireworks all throughout the week, while it's against the law to light them on other days than the 31st of December/1st of January.
It's scaring the living daylights out of my cat (and pretty much every other pet anybody has) and lighting fireworks is dangerous in general (although most people are willing to kindly ignore that for New Year's Eve anyway).
And damn it, it's against the law and the police should do their jobs and make people stick to that! >.<'
Comments187
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
is the band my chemical romance
Answered this one at least twice already, but well:
No, it was not MCR. They got one song I like and aside from that the sound of their music, sort of, annoys me? And I am not even trying to be nasty, it just feels as the best way to describe it for me.
then its gotta be evanescence
The answer to that was actually on this page, if you have your comments said to 25 per page... :/

"*ForeverTeaTime 2 days ago Hobbyist General Artist
Out of the 50+ bands/artists I currently have in my playlist, there are only there are only 4 that (occasionally) have a lady doing vocals, and Evanescence isn't one of them.
So no, I wasn't talking about Evanescence."
no its evanescence i can feel it
If it makes you happy to believe that, then by all means go ahead.
Originally the idea of leaving the name out was that it didn't, or rather shouldn't, matter for the point I was trying to make. :shrug:
:iconangelishi: go spam her page
I do hope you know spamming isn't allowed on deviantART.
You can have your account temporarily disabled or even banned for doing so.
I also hope that you do understand that what you now suggest would indeed happen, your name is gonna be in the report just as well.
Damn deviantart, its just a b inside the <>
is what you need
Learn how to be bold good sir
It's just for bold, not <bold> :squee:</bold>
It's not a matter of learning, it's a matter of remembering.
And that is the difficult part, since it is illogical to me that putting text like that is called 'bold', but the code isn't.
Always had a problem remembering things that weren't logical to me, that's how I managed to not perform so well on French tests even though I studied hours for them. :shrug:

But well, I've been telling this to about 5 people already.
Also: I'm not sure why after this already hardly useful comment, you had to make two more with even fewer content. :(
How is b for B <-- old Illogical...
The one actually kind of makes sense, but after I found out I had used the wrong one again, I kept on thinking that the only one I had read of before was (which is far less logical) and was surprised that people kept on mentioning as a possibility also.
But with all these comments that have been showing up in my inbox, it must surely be harder to forget anyway from now on. :P
The term shock is used a bit too loosely. A lot of people, on either side (whether they like shock acts or dislike them), seem to have a difficulty seeing the difference between something that is just shocking and something that also has a message.

It leads to a few annoying things. One of them is what you mentioned: some people end up lowering shockers with a message to "just a shock rocker". Another is people who use shock to get seen and their fans praising them for doing so, even though their message value is equal to that of your average sex and party song.
Yes, and it might be difficult to establish which is which when you don't know them that well and so you might come to the wrong conclusion about a band/artist.
And that's okay, as making mistakes is something everybody does, but people shouldn't get lost in their conclusions when they indeed don't know them that well (and therefore have a decent chance to be mistaken).

I'd llama you again if I could, for posting a response with some content (that on top of that isn't based on misunderstandings either :D)
If the project is annoying you, do something easy and get it over with.
The project isn't, people are. Could you make them go away? :(
There's always gonna be a person like that.

And there's just so much you can do about it.

Awww, but I like fireworks. :dummy:
You can always make an angry thread to let your frustrations out in a fairly harmless way. :P
I saw Marilyn Manson in concert once (it was at Mayhem Fest a couple years ago). He put on a good show but was kinda drunk and most of the pit left before he got on stage (he followed Slayer). Put on a good show though.

I enjoy his music. But I would say he suffers from a lot of what of pioneers do: he pushes the envelope, but then doesn't go with the genre as a whole and kind of clings to the first schtick making him a parody of himself. Teenagers often don't help either... (well some, you don't sound like the type that makes certain genres embarrassing to admit liking).
I believe he did a double-headline tour with Slayer a few years back indeed. It's nice to hear you enjoyed the show. :D

And I don't know about the music genre stuff. I'm not really that great with genres (and so the 'goth' thing was more regarding ideals and looks rather than music).
Also I like the music a lot, but what does it for me is the lyrics, the concepts and the man. For me to like a band/artist the sound of their music does matter, but what always draws me in on the long run are the lyrics and the extras. :P
Finally I do suppose, in other ways (than necessarily musically), I do agree with the parody of himself thing.

(By the bye, thank you for saying that last thing. Didn't expect any kind words from anybody replying to this thread after it kind of ran into a whole different direction than I had hoped.)