Popularity

I've noticed that certain things on DA get more attention than others. Most of these things are very specific to certain niche audiences. And then there are people like me, who create art that doesn't quite fall into that category and go largely unnoticed. I work hard on my stories, yet I rarely get a comment. I get the occasional favorite, which is appreciated, I appreciate any and all feedback I get on my stories. I would just like to get more feedback, I like to know how people react to and feel about my work. It annoys me when I bust my ass and post multiple chapters a night and get little to no recognition, when someone who takes a tit picture and calls it a Self Portrait gets a thousand comments. Is that what you have to do to get noticed here? If so, that's kinda sad. Anyway, that is an entirely different issue. Back to my point. I want to be recognized and taken seriously as a writer. But what the hell do you have to do to achieve that on here?
Comments62
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Good ways:
Post fan art.
Make your page a rainbow seizure, sometimes works.
Say "you're going to give away 1000 points but you must be watching me."I've seen someone get 1100 watchers from that.
Should be more about the art, not numbers.
sigh.
Popularity is actually more about how social you are and how much you make people actually see your work than how good you are. Both are often required to become, and remain, really popular.
join groups
give feedback
watch people
make more art
Watch other people, they will watch back.

Also you can get a "mature content" story up in the front page that will make people read your works more. This is how it is. Majority is teenagers here.
How much feedback do you give? If you want feedback so badly, you could join the group called Project Comment or Feedback Frenzy. You can find quite a few groups regarding feedback. Best of luck!
I do the best I can with feedback, I'm not on as often as I'd like. I'll check out those groups though, thanks!
Become a fetish writer. Then everyone will love you.
Have you ever asked for feedback on your writing in the designated Literature Critique Thread, made a Thumbshare thread for comment swaps on lit (or posted in existing Thumbshares offering critique or asking for lit), joined a writing group, made friends with other writers?

The literature community is smaller than the art community, but it is very active, and it is actually very easy to get feedback. I've found it much easier to make friends with writers on DA than with visual artists. The writers I know love to swap critiques and read each others work and share advice.
It's harder for people to make time to read stuff. I think around 12 people read the first part of my story (this is higher than I expected). Oddly, I still want to write a huge story because writing is so interesting. :confused:
This kind of dips into the debate of whether art is for the creator or the audience.
I should start a tally for each time someone blames lack of tits for their lack of success.

Art is about demographics. What you create and how you create it breeds interest to a specific audience. It doesn't matter how hard you work on it, because if nobody finds it appealing you won't see any return on your ego investment.

You've got a million sonic lovers on this site, art with sonic has a goood chance of being successful. Need I continue?
Unfortunately, literature isn't the biggest thing on dA. Also, not everyone is a reader, so sometimes they just see the story and are like "Well, that looks long. I think I'll do something else instead."
As many people told you, deviantART main focus is not literature. You can post your work on websites more literature oriented.
Literature is not the main focus of this site. It has more to do with visual art. You should comment, comment, comment, join Literature groups, comment, comment, etc to get more in contact with the community. There is a whole forum just for Literature, go and post there.

Now excuse me while I leave my old drawing here:

That's a lovely drawing.
dA probably isn't the best place to post stories, since dA uses thumbnails and literature isn't very attention-grabbing, unless you use a cover picture. I would use a site like FictionPress, since you would get more views (one of my multi-chapter stories has over 400) and more helpful feedback.

As for getting more recognition on this site, join loads of groups depending on the genre you write, and that should get you some more views. Also, try writing a fanfiction occasionally. They will usually get you a lot of hits, without you having to take tit pics. :D
I've been coming here for over 10 years, and always, this thread.

I know it can suck, but it's YOUR responsibility to find your audience, not your audience's responsibility to find you. For you, being a writer, I would take this site as supplemental. It's not set up in the best way for writers to be found. You're better off focusing on other forums for that. I would advise hunting down a few good targeted critique groups. Start with a small reader-base and build from there. :)
Writers always get less recognition than other artists on here. It's how it's always been and it's how it always will be. Unless you write shit tier fanfiction, then you're golden! :la:
As everyone else has said, to get noticed here, you need to get really active. Get involved in the forums, leave good feedback on other people's work and offer them help. I have seen people that never submit anything and they get well over 100,000 pageviews just by getting active by just commenting alone. dA is really for visual arts and for showcasing to be honest. =B

I wish you luck though. <3
You're welcome. <3
go to *dAhub and look into his journals on how to get featured
Here's what I read in this topic:

"Blah blah blah ME... largely unnoticed.. blah blah I work hard...blah blah I rarely get a comment... blah blah I get the occasional favorite... blah blah feedback I get... blah blah I would just like to get more... blah blah how do people react to and feel about my work... it annoys ME when I bust my ass... blah blah tit... blah blah I want... to be recognized...

This entire drivel you wrote is all about ONE person. Did you notice? "I want", "I get", so go get fucked by your boyfriend. What are you willing to GIVE more of?
Maybe if more of you girls were less focussed on what you want and what you think you should get, the website would be better and popularity would be spread around. All I see is a completely self-obsessed, self-centered egotistical person who thinks everything should be given to them and is giving jack shit back to the community.