To be a jerk, or not to be a jerk.

Every once in a while, I spend a good amount of time writing up fairly extensive, disapproving speeches in the comments box of some unfortunate new deviation I happened upon while desperately searching for some inkling of undiscovered talent in the newest deviations. Believe it or not, I actually become decently disgruntled with the continuing influx of magnificently bad/rushed art that will never cease to coat the inner foundation driving the beautiful community of Deviantart with grimy, scribbly balderdash. Though, I also know it isn't worth targeting anyone or any of it, and it never was. So I write those grand bitch fits and never post them. I just type it all out, and then I exit the page, the poor individual never knowing how much I detest them and their crap.

It wasn't until this year I decided maybe I ought to be the nice guy, and should always repress my desire to illustrate just how much I hate your stupid hedgehog character. It's not so much the fact that your stupid hedgehog character is undeniably a part of a greater even more stupid division of stupidity, and why in the hell would you want that, but sometimes these stupid hedgehog characters are drawn pretty well. We have artists squabbling their talent on stupid hedgehog characters. This is definitely not the core complaint, I assure you.

Anyway, there was a time I was sort of all right at art. I've always done obsessively detailed drawings since I was a kiddo, but somewhere down the line, my privilege to be a raging ass hole was immediately revoked when I reached a certain level. It's one thing to be kind of okay, and to be a raging ass hole towards someone who is also sort of okay. But to be someone who is like, I don't know, pretty much forced into a realm where making art is their prerogative and main support in life and is also a raging ass hole makes you a big fat thunder muffindick douche popper. I'm not really all that much of a noodle-faced prick flosser, but god forbid I ever offer minuscule critique on anything ever.

A while back, I once woke to an entire regiment of teenagers all out barraging my inbox with unjustified insults and rage because I half heartedly pointed out a fallacy on a popular deviation. I was dumbstruck. There were a shit ton of messages telling me an artist like me needs to shut the fuck up and not bully other artists. For once in my life my feelings were legitimately hurt not because I was just noting something in a kind of a negative tone, but because I simply have no right to be that way, period. Or something. Hm.

My point is, I want to maybe sometimes vent and be a total bitch face. My fear is to be considered some kind of cunty elitist. I don't hate people and their art because I think I'm the shit and that I'm better than anyone ever, I hate people and their art because their art is inherently bad, and I only target art that indicates that the person has potential but chooses the quantity or quality route. I really am pretty cool. I promise.

All right, fine, Teal Deer. Your art is shitty because you didn't try and everyone and their mother can see that. When "an artist like me" says something about, it has nothing to do with the kind of art I do, it has everything to do with the fact that you didn't try and therefore your art is shit..

In before, *prosaix rips me a new one.
Comments148
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Who goes to deviantart for critique anyway???
Well, if it helps, you can rage at me anytime. All my art's just doodles and the occasional piece of writing, anyways.
You fucking illiterate moron.
There's a Teal Deer at the bottom. Fairly clear there.
Honestly, his teal deer is even in bold. How much more can one ask for?
CAPS LOCK, italic, bold, and a lot of plzs? Also a note to you, with the TL;DR. Ah, if all people were as easy to satisfy :D
i was plenty satisfied, i just felt it could use some...pizazz! :iconsparklesplz:
:iconpizza-plz:
Help yourself.
PLEASE.
If anything, they must be praised for their amazing attempt to overthrow the world and surpass my doodles.
It's obvious they must be showered with thousands upon thousands of watchers while Those like me must be shunned and struggle to be noticed.

In all seriousness I dunno.
.-. It's hard to find really amazing stuff in te "newest" but I hate searching otherwise if I'm just browsing.
You have any examples of these "critiques". I'd like a little context before hopping on your rage bandwagon.

Although all these half-assed drawings that flood "newly submitted" aren't exactly my thing I understand that I was there at some point. Frankly I think rather then tear these kids down we should encourage them and be proud that they're exploring art in some shape or form. Manga and anime got me into art. The stuff I made was shit but what mattered was that I was making SOMETHING.

So fuck yeah, you go and post that drawing of Sonic because if that's what you love and that's what you have fund drawing than who am I to tell you to do something more "refined"?
Don't proliferate sonicfaggotry. The last thing that we need is that. Meanwhile, I do agree, we should strengthen them; but I think the best way to do this is to break them out of the habit and teach them what it means to create artwork and to express themselves genuinely with a cultured taste.
As long as they're having fun what difference does it make? If they want to grow as an artist they themselves will find the means to. I doubt most people who got into art started drawing because they saw a Jackson Pollock painting. These things take time.
I see your point, but DA or fuck, the internet shouldn't be a dump site for crap. :P
You should check out conceptart.org!

I feel like you would enjoy a lot of the content they put it out.
I would, I would.
I get a hard on for conceptart every time I go there. No lie.
RIGHT!? Great place to find inspiration and help!
I fully sympathize with you.

As I said in two other threads (hah) its so difficult to critique people here properly.