Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Your lack of planning doesn't make it an emergency

:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist
I don't know if other industries face this but I see it way too often in IT. Someone doesn't think something through and all of a sudden it's a "all hands on deck" situation?

Some servers were being moved from one location to another a whole state away (this new site doesn't have anyone staffed regularly either). These servers have archived data that isn't needed at this time. Well wouldn't you think to configure these servers with new addresses before shipping them so they can be used as soon as they get plugged in? Me too, but others didn't and now my team mates are making such a big deal out of it and calling it an "urgent situation".

Very annoying having drama llamas at work. Anyone else see this BS at your job?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Scapegoating is a lifesaver for everyone.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist
Sad but true
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Every fuck up you make somebody's else's fault. That's how the world works. :stare:
My nephews are like that! One of them was 4 or 5 at the time and his family was at Disney World. Well he walked off and it took them like 20 minutes to find him. He was all upset of course and said he couldn't have walked off and gotten lost if his dad was watching him better...hard to argue with that logic :lol:
:iconyashachan:
yashachan Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I thought such things were a normal occurrence for anyone in IT/software. :p
Sadly yes :lol:

My favorite was getting woken up at 2am on a saturday morning because this project manager didn't let us know they needed new printer drivers installed (they were migrating from HP to Xerox). Since the old printers were still physically there, I saw no reason why it couldn't wait until Monday. Heard from my manager that me telling them "their lack of planning doesn't make make this an oncall issue"...guess I hurt their feelings :lmao:
yashachan Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Thankfully, I haven't had to file any bug reports on the software I work on, so no crazy shenanigans. Yet.

My boyfriend, though, was once called around 1am on a weekend to explain how some code worked. He was out, in NYC, with his then-girlfriend, at a show.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist
They seriously couldn't have waited for a better hour?

I got called at 3am because our operations staff got errors checking empty tapes into the tape library. We still had 200 empty tapes so backups wouldn't fail...I wasn't happy but used my cheerful voice anyway. Turned out they didn't close the IO door all the way :lol:
yashachan Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Apparently not.
:icondarkanddefiant:
darkanddefiant Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
oh yeah. more than half of my threads lately have been about the drama at work (ei, james). :iconraegplz:
Add a Comment: