Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 74

Feckin' seasonal depression

:iconfullmetal-animator:
Fullmetal-Animator Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Lately I've been having a lot of mood swings and getting melancholy for no apparent reason, and then last night I had some emotional crisis involving a future career and past relationships (no, I don't care about the 'Help With Life' forum) and woke up and realized I get this way every December. Every feckin' year! Then after doing a bit of research and taking a few surveys, I got my answer:

Apparently, besides being a little bipolar, I suffer from something called 'Seasonal Effective Disorder'.

What this basically means is because of the lack of sunlight, my mood slumps to rock bottom and I become extremely pessimistic and depressed about life due to the simple lack of the sun. And given that the weather has been as typically Irish as ever in the past week, this explains it. :roll:

I guess the real complaint comes from the fact that now I have to built a back-up sun for myself. One that I can keep inside my room when I need it since there is no sunlight to make me feel all smiles and sunshine about myself. How I'm going to keep one inside my wardrobe until I need it is the only question. :L

Bonus complaint: My hometown is becoming a ghost town more and more every month. It's spooky seeing my childhood fade away like echos. :L

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconplumcider:
plumcider Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
That's good news, then. You aren't depressed for an actual reason, like famine, war, or disease. You can buy a light bulb and take a vitamin and fix it all.

Bright side--look at it. ;)
:iconcelestialsheep:
CelestialSheep Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmmm.... Depression... I'm sure one day I'll find out what that is like.
:iconestae:
Estae Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Don't bother- it sucks.
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Hey, you know it happens to almost everyone in this country. Even I get affected by it. Only thing we can do is take vitamin D supplements. It's waaay too shitty to go outside right now. :saddummy:

Not uprising about Athenry shriveling up. Most people have left or have killed themselves. =B
Fullmetal-Animator Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Professional Filmographer
FUCK! Wrong link to Sheldon [link]
Starting to take cod oil pills since they're loaded with vitamin D. :B

Best I can do is watch Sheldon Cooper and his usual antics [link]
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Digital Artist
Yeah, it's the best thing to do. It doesn't look like this storm is going end any time soon. :saddummy:

Either way, FUCK YEAH! Red Dwarf! Cheers for the links. <3
It was supposed to be Sheldon but you're welcome anyway. xD
:iconmikepav:
mikepav Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
if you're not getting enough sun then you probably got the rickets.
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
The sun is a very rare phenomenon where we are from. Vitamin D is the only way to go. =B
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Urg. I have this crap in REVERSE. I get depressed in the summer.

Try taking vit. D

You can buy full-spectrum bulbs, too.
:iconpink-anthony:
pink-anthony Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You should try and see if you can get some vitamin D supplements. That's what the lack of sun is depriving you of.
And I wish Ennis would become a ghost town. The knackers have now claimed it as their own, so I'm scared to venture in there anymore when I'm home-home. =P
Fullmetal-Animator Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Filmographer
:lol:
:iconmisterturtle:
MisterTurtle Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Self diagnosis is no diagnosis.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Vitamin D pills? It'll hold you off till you can get a UV lamp to lay under like a lizard.

Or you could just be half plant. Wilting and shriveling up due to lack of sun.
:iconarvellas:
Arvellas Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Plantkin? Like Otherkin, but with plants? I wanna see a Cornkin, way better than a boring old Wolfkin.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
Cornkin would be cool. You could rip off your skin, cook it till it pops, then serve it to your friends and family.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Huh, that's interesting :O I don't think I'd have ever thought that the lack of sun would cause someone's mood to slump :petting: I wonder why I'm not in such a bitter mood more often then, because I like to hide in my cave all day :lol:
:iconvi0letdreamer:
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Photographer
I stopped after Apparently, besides being a little bipolar, I suffer from something called 'Seasonal Effective Disorder'.

What. You can't diagnose yourself as having a mental disorder just because an internet survey told you so. You sound like those emo 13 year olds that go around saying "hurr durr i have depression this quiz told me so !!1!!!!11!"
Fullmetal-Animator Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Read the comment above your own.
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
A physician told you that you suffer from this?
Just earlier (after I posted this), yes, the symptoms more or less make is so considering it happens every December for the past seven years. :B
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Some of the patients I work with suffer from this. There are lamps you can buy and lay under, if you’re willing to spend the money.
:iconnicolettethestrange:
Nicolettethestrange Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Come to Australia for a holiday! We have so much sun here you'll get sick of it after a while. Even the moon has been gleaming so brightly you can't seem to escape the suns reflected brilliance at night! In fact I just heard on our news that because we have a lack of Ozone layer and despite sun protection people are still increasingly getting skin caners so scientists are now banning together to create a higher SPF sunscreen for us to wear (from 30 to 50 SPF) and this will become the new national health standard. Even on a cloudy day there is no hiding from the sun here :/
Yaaaaaaaay! :lol:
:iconhaanpere:
HaanPere Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Digital Artist
Every winter I congratulate myself for never having suffered from SAD whereas my husband gets it every fucking year. Five months of him being like a little child with a broken toe.
Also it seems you get whole two hours more sunlight a day than we do.

... and I thought taking vitamin D is pretty much obligatory during the Winter. It isn't where you live? :U
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Oh great, self diagnosis :roll:
With good grounding, since this happens every year. Plus, I asked one of my mother's friends today who is a therapist and she says the symptoms more or less point out to winter depression, so up yours. :lol:
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional
Your hometown is fading? How long until you fade too!
I wanna live! :fear:
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional
REPENT, SINNER
:iconquixotic-spark:
quixotic-spark Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Get a UV lamp and some vitamin D.
I'll get the UV lamp if I can afford it, but the vitamin D sound like something to pursue.
:iconquixotic-spark:
quixotic-spark Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
[link] This one's on my wishlist since it's small and not super fucking expensive like they normally are.
[link] Just added this to mine. Thanks for the tip.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Don't diagnose yourself using the internet. Go see a therapist or something. Both bipolarity and SAD aren't things you should be throwing around without a confirmed diagnosis. Besides, a psychiatrist or doctor will be able to give you the proper tools to manage either.
:icontsuruginomai:
TsurugiNoMai Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Seasonal Effective Disorder? please tell me this is not a real medical condition.

lack of sun making you depressed? i think you just need a different mind set. do different things that make YOU happy.

as for your hometown, we all lose a bit of childhood. just try not to forget the memories
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
lol it IS, if it's severe.

People who have depressive disorders and are always one chemical shift away from real depression have issues with it, as to people who are bi-polar. It's because we are very, very sensitive to chemical and physical changes. They cause a snowball effect.

It's not the same thing as getting a little crappy feeling when the sun goes away. That is normal because of lack of vit. d and physical darkness (which signals sleep mode). Most people get a little depressed in the winter.

The 'cure' is 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day (or a full spectrum lamp) to help you create vit. d and all the other good stuff sunlight does for you.
:iconsiskofacepalmplz:

now im worried i have some sort of disorder. fekkin doctors.
=p Your brain is out to get you every year, man.
i think it is too. >___>
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I get like that too throughout November to the middle of January. :0 It's the worst in December. I find this odd, since I hate sunlight.
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
My shrink advised light therapy and vitamin D supplements. I have it too, and it makes me HUNGER FOR CARBS SO MUCH I DON'T EEEVVVENNNN
Vitamin D, ey?
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Ya, apparently that's the stuff we suck out of the sunlight and makes us feel happy and healthy.
Nice.
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I'm just an angsty fuck, so hey. Good for you coming here instead of HWL. We'll probably somehow give better advice. :lol:
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This might be a good starting point [link] ;)
Not too bad. :la:
Add a Comment: