Thumbshare Rant

So, as someone who visits the deviation thumbshare forums often, I've noticed a few things. Things that irk me. I know I should just brush them off, but a person can only see something so much before they want to rant about it.
And rant I will. So here we go.
The first thing: When deviants say they want to follow new people.
Okay guys. You can follow people on Tumblr and you can follow people on Twitter, but this is DEVIANTART. We WATCH people here. We do not follow them, we do not friend them, we do not subscribe to them, we fucking WATCH them, okay?
Okay. Moving on.
The next thing: When people post a new thread ONLY to show off their work. They don't ask to see anyone else's. They just say something along the lines of, "Thiz iz mai newezt werk do u liek it?!!?!?!111 lol fallow me ;))))))" They're USUALLY newbies with terrible artwork. Everyone goes to thumbshare to post their own art and to view other people's. We don't need 12 year olds jamming up the forum with their shitty drawings.
And the last thing: Snobs.
I've noticed a lot of people there posting new threads showing off their artwork and then saying, "Only post if you have GOOD art. I don't want any shitty artwork on this thread!" or, "ONLY *insert very specific style of art here* all other art will be ignored!!!" Like, come on now. Give people a chance.
Well, that's all I have to say for now. If there's anything about thumbshare that bothers you, feel free to leave your thoughts!
Comments213
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You're being sort of gentle. These silly things are all you got for the Complaints forum?!? Common now. The thumbshare forum has some issues, but use of the word 'follow' is such nitpicking and isn't even specific to thumbshare.

You point out the so called snobbery of people who ask for only 'good' art but what about the people who go and show off their photorealistic portraits? That's not snobbery? :lol: I'm really tired of seeing fucking portraits of actors, and then random clients nobody knows. Some of these people have an entire gallery full of stuff, but the only thing they ever put on thumbshare is the same portrait of their girlfriend, cuz, that's how they show they're l33t.

I hate the quid-pro-quo topics- "Comment on 1 of mine and I'll comment on 2 of yours"... No. Fuck you.
:bulletred: "Two of yours for one of mine!" Fuck you.
:bulletred: Show me _________ (insert primary color here, usually red, yellow, and green). :| No.

:bulletred:"Anything but lit".... WTF is up with this? Why anything but "lit" ? I see that so much. Stop hating on the writers. Writing is the easiest thing in the world to ignore. It's not like they spam the forum with 18 'thumbs' of their sonic fanfiction. I've yet to see that. But the guy who spams the same dozen pictures of 'sexy' blondes? Yeah, you know that guy. Nobody ever says "Anything but tits". That would be nice for a change.
I also hate it when someone posts an entire topic with their more-or-less original creation, asks for critique (offers nothing of course) and is then ignored... understandable- but when some kid starts the exact kind of topic but puts the thumb of his bad line drawing of [yet another] anime waif, people replying with "Commented" :fight: and "Your proportions are perfect." :rofl: Yeah, proportions perfect- on a balloon-headed anime doll. Fuck this place. :puke:
You have some nice complaints. XD
I FUCKING HATE THOSE "Anything but lit" ONES TOO. I see those all the time and they just piss me off. ._.
"post a thread only to show off their work"...thought that was the point of that forum :shrug:
Well, not exactly. The point is to show off your work, but to also discover new artists. The ideal post would be, "This is my work, show me yours!"
I posted in Thumbshare today [link]
Glad I wasn't being a total bitch. I should venture in the other threads just to see what you're talking about!
 "ONLY *insert very specific style of art here*

About this bit in particular, a lot of the time people post in Thumbshare because they're looking for a specific type of art! They might want to see, for example, digital paintings of dragons or expressive portraiture, and simply aren't particularly interested in having other stuff posted in forum responses at that time. Part of the point of being able to post your own threads in thumbshare is that you can specify what you'd like people to share in response :aww:
I stopped going there ages ago thanks to the over-abundance of what you mentioned in your second point. People wanting to show off their work and receive asspats for it and not care at all at what others have to offer. A community doesn't work that way :disbelief: In my earlier days I even did those "comment for a comment" threads (before I realized the concept of making comments as a mutual way of boosting counts is dumb and for artists too unskilled to get any feedback on their work's own merit) and I put a lot of thought into my comment, about two-thirds as long as what I've written here so far, which was hard since I didn't even genuinely like the piece, but I still managed to give them the best comment they got so far :nod:... I got "wow! cool" as my comment back :roll:
Ugh, that's happened to me too.
"Critique for a critique!" I'll write out a nice, well-rounded critique for them and it will be at least a paragraph long. Then I'll receive a few shitty grammatically incorrect sentences on my work.
Yeah, these people are really just fishing for more comments and critiques while putting out as little as possible to get them. They probably don't even care about ANYTHING anyone elses posts on there, they are just faking it as an incentive to get more attention on their own work :disbelief: Bah! Everyone wants something for nothing :p
The last few times I went over to thumbshare, it would always have the most recently commented threads, which would all have been commented on by the same person/people.
Like, the first 18 threads would all have been by one person copy-pasting their 10 "photography" pictures, or the latest anime desu eyes would be spammed everywhere. :|

And then there were like 3 or 4 threads just for the color blue.
Yeah, I notice that too. Thumbshare can get pretty damn repetitive.
As for the last point, I'm not fond of making thumbshare threads, but when I do I make it kinda exclusive to a style or theme what I'm sharing has, because I won't know how to comment or really appreciate stuff outside of what I know.
That last point doesn't bother me near as much as the others.
It's just a slight bother to me.
you can friend people on here too
Yes, but you have to watch them in order to do so, so it's still watching.
"watch" "follow" Whatever, don't be so literal.
I just think that if a person frequents DA, they should at least know what the term is.
Or they do and aren't as literal as you are. :shrug:
If they do know, they shouldn't be using the wrong terminology. It makes them look ignorant.
Like I said, some care, some don't.
Little things bother me, if they don't bother you, then that's fine.
But my point was that it bothered ME.