Fake(?) mediums...Theresa Caputo, Long Island Medium.

Me and my mom dabble in watching "Long Island Medium" from time to time. Of course, the question "Is she being genuine?" always stands between being amazed by her readings or disgusted by how she's fooling people.

This is sort of my rant to people commenting on no-nothing sites that ask for people's opinions on whether Theresa is fake or not. Personally, I'm (%30)open to her being real, but I'm also fully aware of cold-reading.

Annon: "her questions she asks are always correct. she barely asks them anything she does most of the talking....so how can you sit there and say she is a fake"

Well, that does seem to be true. When it comes to certain things like tattoos, I find it hard to believe that someone could know what your tattoo is if it's well-hidden; but you'd be surprised how people can come up with those things. Either they might have seen a glimmer of a tattoo or whatever by chance, or they had something planned out. I remain skeptic.

Annon#2: "They are not dead people who can't move on. That is such a crock. When you die, you go to heaven or you go to hell. "

Now, I really hate it when people throw in what they believe like it's a validated fact. I believe that people have spirits and that they may continue on, glued to this earth, but that isn't a known fact, so, let's not even go there.

Annon #3: "Real or fake...she gives comfort to many people who are having a difficult time after a loved one dies...real or fake, she's helped many people get over the loss of a loved one"

Uhhh...no...that's like never telling your child Santa Claus is fake. Sure, it makes everything seem more magical to them, but do you want them to learn to accept life how it is, or do you want them not to be able to deal with how things actually work? If she is lying, I find it terribly sick and disrespectful. Making people "feel better" isn't a valid excuse for earning money by lying to someone who's suffering. Why not teach someone to cope with a loss in a healthy way without lying to them?

Has anyone heard of her being a validated fake yet?

On an semi-related note...
I remember when I was younger, rude comments made by random people on the internet didn't bother me. Now I've grown quite tired and frustrated with it. Why can't people reply to each other in a thought-out or at least respectful manor? Meh...
Comments55
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
i have a feeling its all staged, she meets with the people before the show and tells them "act really surprised when i point out certain things about your "deceased" love one and maybe cry a bit i dunno"

shes really annoying too :T
It's hard to take her seriously with those nails...and that hair o.e
Then again, if it's possible to communicate with the dead, I suppose anyone can be born to.
I tend to find that people with any real sort of special talent don't waste it on crummy reality shows.
Not as fake as their tits.
TLC thought it was a good idea to air a show about a fraud that cold reads and exploits people.
Then again, this is the same channel that gives us Honey Boo Boo so not a big surprise they lower the bar with this crap...
It's pretty sad :/
At first I thought you were talking about artistic mediums. :lol:
Pencils don't exist.
My whole life has been a lie!
When ever I visit a psychic, I always ask them for my name first. It's a really out-there name, so it's very difficult to guess. I actually met someone once who I still swear was the real deal. He was able to tell me my name and the details of an incident that (up to that point) only I and someone who is dead now, knew about. I was just like, "Here. Take $50. I'm running away now :iconscaredplz:"
Personally, I'm (%30)open to her being real

Are you out of your goddamn mind?
I don't know her personally, so, I'm not going to make any certainties about her.
Make any CERTAINTIES? Do you how utterly ludicrous the idea of CONSIDERING that she can somehow speak to the dead is? If I told you I could make party confetti shoot out of my ass like a T-shirt cannon would you give me the benefit of the doubt if you never met me?
I don't think that a person can really speak to the dead, but perhaps sense them and have little communication.
Well, as to your question, I've seen people spray paint out their ass, so, I would at least wait for you to prove it to me before claiming that you couldn't. Then again, I wouldn't really want to see that e.o
Remember, I did say that I'm more doubtful of her abilities.
Even if she is fake she might not actually know that she is. She might think she's the real deal.
That's true. The mind can go back on you without you knowing it.
Wait... can you rephrase that for me please?
Hm, let's see...
I was just agreeing with you and saying that your mind can trick you into believing that you may have psychic powers or other things like that.
Ah, okay. :la: It was just a little open-ended and unclear to me, that's all =D
In order to manipulate gullible people like that you have to be consciously doing it.
That's true... Although I wouldn't be surprised if there were fakes out there that fully believed they were real.