Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 142

Doctors aren't what they used to be :/

:iconlovensita:
Lovensita Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
When you think of a doctor, you think of many things. And when you go to visit a doctor, you expect a lot more. But I've seen a lot of doctors today and that really live up to the title, and it makes me wonder if people like these are staining the name?

For example, let's say you go to a doctor complaining of abdominal pain. You've been throwing up, having diarrhea, etc. Your doctor, unknowingly to you, is a stupid idiot that got a M.D in medicine by some far-fetched luck as it may happen in some cases. The doctor ASSUMES you just have food poisoning, and puts you on IV Saline fluid to make up for the dehydration. Next 30 minutes, the patient dies. Why? Because the patient actually had appendicitis and it lead to a ruptured appendix, killing the patient. HOW could a doctor misdiagnosis this? You're doing a physical examination on the abdomen, you should've expected the worse and treated for the worse. They exist.

Another case is, you come to a doctor for let's say plastic surgery (I chose this example because I want a wealthy person in this place). You're in the doctor's office, the doctor is a regionally renowned doctor in this field and is very good at what he/she does. The phone rings, he/she picks up the phone, and suddenly this doctor starts screaming at the other person on the other line, using foul words, saying obscene things, etc.. Then the doctor turns to you, all huffed up, is slightly rude to you in response, but isn't completely because you're paying and he/she wants the money. So you can find nowadays doctors who are very adept in their fields but lack no form of mannerism at ALL.

My point is, not all doctors are as corrupted, but I feel that anyone can become a doctor one way or another, and I think that's a very sad thought when you're putting your lives in the hand of someone as unprofessional as these (existing btw) examples. What do you guys think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Used to know a great doctor who had an incredibly great reputation in my small town. Patients would come in and he'd properly diagnose some of them on the spot saying things like "Well, that's the worst case of xxxxx I've ever seen!" as soon as they'd walk in the door. He wasn't making it up, just had years of experience and lots of passion for his job. Unfortunately, all great professionals are usually stolen from places they're sorely needed and given more lucrative offers in prestigious institutions abroad. :saddummy:
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, haven't they always been pretty bad?
:iconscouterv:
ScouterV Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Writer
You remember that thing we were always told as kids?

"You can do anything you set your mind to." (Or one of the many variations used in the world.)

Turns out that it can be true...anyone...can do anything if they set their mind to it. It's a double-edged sword.
Lovensita Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Unfortunately :c
:icondanium:
Danium Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Stop being so whiny, if you want love and cuddles go to your mother. :B
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
... are these all purely hypothetical examples?
Lovensita Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No. These are real life examples.
:iconwandereranon:
WandererAnon Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Oh, and on another note. We don't know everything when it comes to the human body. It's why we have medical schools and universities that are filled with students to do research, internships, and projects as a bit of a requirement even. Technology and practice in these fields change over time and even though that we're getting better than previous, there are going to be problems that will stump us. There are issues that are a problem today that'll continue to be a problem for a really long while.

And adding to that, this methodology that knowing everything is an asymptotic notion and that science is a self-improving tool, all of technology and processes will have this issue.
In This Thread:
Ignorant fucks complaining about lazy, unmotivated, learned fucks and charlatans.

If you want my two cents, anyone could easily become an unmotivated, untalented fucktard when it comes to just about anything. They can know the talk, but doesn't wish to walk the walk. It's within most of everyone that we see. Though I can assure you that there are always going to be people that are like that in some way, shape, or form. Meanwhile, as for mannerisms... I can say the same damn thing about anything else. In fact, for both of these things can be seen right here in art. There are talented individuals that have lost the drive or became unmotivated in their artwork, and there are adept artists that can be complete assholes that just wants the e-fame or someshit. On top of that, people in general fuck up like that, when they're having a bad day, 9 times out of 10 they show it.

So do you know what can be done to combat that? Well, you can't change the person, but you can change the learner by getting them active and into a better standard that can won't delve down into incompetence and unprofessional behavior.
Lovensita Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I loved your post c,: Great example of the artists here. I respect your opinion and find it a really good one at that <3
The 'artists' here... 90 percent of them are 'autists' that think that scribbling/basing/tracing/recoloring sonic or some fandom makes them automatically good.
Exactly. You dunno how much it irritates me when I see an artist here getting all hyped up over just because they can draw a character we've seen a million times on tv. Like, what's so special about that?

Some of us shed blood and tears into our work and get squat cuz not many can "Related" to it.

:/
:/ Defining 'un-relating' as in 'it's not fandom'. It's really saddening that a weeaboo or sonicfag would rather read the same rehashed shit about a tired-out fandom rather than to read something original and compelling.
Exactly. But I suppose that people that support that and don't really criticize it as much are as much as to blame as the artist him/herself.
I criticize it whenever I come across the such. Their usual responses were

"YOU CANT SAY TAHT ABOUT MAH ARHT!"(in response to telling them that their sonic 'OC' is a 'recolor')

"WHY WOULD YOU SAEY DAT!? I CHANT DRAW LIEK PICASSO!"(In response to "Learn your anatomy")

"IM REPORTING YOU TROLL!"(In response to "this looks horrible")

The musings of a small-minded asstick that doesn't know the purpose of art and what it means to be an artist: beginner, learner, amateur, or professional.

And yep, I agree with you a 100 percent.
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think it's pressure from parents?
I don't know but a lot of the newer doctors seem to not care about their job/ were forced into it by their parents. People are in it for the money, like in the 70s my grandparents actually wanted to save peoples lives because that's what they wanted to do. Today, we got these 20-30 something year old people who just want their paychecks.
Very good point there!
That's very likely :/
My mom wants me to be a doctor, but my dad wants me to go into Business Intelligence XD
I obviously can't handle blood, or little kids / being with annoying people so being a doctor's a no-no for me, unless if I decide on being a radiologist. Then again, college is years away right now.
yeah, I remember reading this one of my moms health care magazines and it said something about doctors feeling scared to practice in the hospital (it was something like that) O_o
:icontheleaveshaveeyes:
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Photographer
I've mostly had issues with lazy, unmotivated doctors that dismiss what I say.

I have an excellent PCP. She took me seriously and actually bothered to do tests, and discovered my severe anemia and Lupus.
Good on hear then!
And I hope you manage well C:
:iconshy-elle31:
Shy-Elle31 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
ur sooooo rite and i agree . Do u think they act like that because they have huge egos and their reputation and cash flow is going to their heads? I think we as americans struggleing with this healthcare crisis our doctors shud respond with more concern and try to meet the needs of their patients .
:icondlaesp:
dlaESP Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I feel like I can agree, I've seen day and night differences in the doctors I've been to.

I complained about constant light-headedness to a doctor once, and she rushed me through the visit and prescribed me a decongestant and nasal spray. She didn't even look in my ears when I told her they hurt.

About two months later I went back, complaining of the same thing, saw a different nurse and doctor and they actually sat down and listened to me, talked about how it could possibly be my anxiety problems and/or sinusitus, but said they'd go ahead and give me a blood test and heart monitor to wear for results to give me peace of mind.

Needless to say I felt like I was treated tons better. Also, needless to say, I left the doctor's office in a really foul mood my first time around.
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
:sarcasticclap: So, once you take the MCAT, work in the medical field for awhile, apply, get an interview, get into medical school and then spend four years as a student occasionally seeing the sunlight, take the first part of boards, and another 3-8 as a resident and get board certified, then we can talk.

Until then, :icongtfoplz:
I'm in med school at the moment lolz. And this is why this topic intrigues me more because I am exposed to many working doctors. Please don't judge c:
As am I, so yes, I believe I can judge. :unimpressed:
Lolz well don't you aid in peoples' views on how conceited doctors and doctors-to-be are.

Whatchu aiming to specialize in? C:

And btw, good luck!
And bully for you for knocking down the entire profession on account of a few individuals. :aww:

If I said OB/GYN or surgery I bet you would believe me.

You too.
Nah, I never said medicine. I just said doctors as individual people.

And yeah? That's pretty interesting.And yes I would believe you I guess, don't got much to lose xD
And yet you said that anyone can become a doctor. Respectfully, I disagree. :shrug:
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
It's interesting how we focus upon these kind of people who deal with such issues. You say we put our lives in the hand of someone like them, but what of public transport drivers, or practically everything out there that we need to survive that depend on human hands?

The point is, no person can survive on their own. Either you need other people, or you need nature, or you need something or other. All of these things can let you down. Life isn't perfect and things aren't 100% certain. It's easy to target doctors, but at least they're here. There were 'doctors' in the past who believed that leeches and their blood sucking would take care of everything.
I do understand where you're coming from, and agree for the most part, by why I think doctors are mainly targeted is because they go through at least 10 years of their life training on how to keep a person alive and healthy, whereas a public transport driver probably knows first aid at most.

So that's why as well not many law suits aim out to public transport drivers as doctors, because public transport drivers are educated on the location map and how to drive and such, whereas the life of a person is basically the specialty of a doctor.
Even though they do 10 years (though I always thought it was 5+, and not as much as 10 in terms of the requirement), they can't know every single thing about the human body, because every single person is different.

I would imagine that what they recommend to someone is usually the case. That's why they'd recommend it. They wouldn't purposefully recommend something that would kill you because they wanted to kill you. As I said, we are not perfect, and we are all different.

The doctor does not know intimately how your body works. The doctor isn't living in your body 24/7. They can do things, but up to a limit. At the end of the day, they are human too, and they make mistakes. It's just unfortunate that those mistakes come at the cost of human lives, but there are jobs that are much worse that are not mistakes at all. At least the doctors, most of them, are on one side of the fence and not the other.
Yes yes, I fully agree with you. Your points are very interesting and agreeable C:
Doctors go through a lot, but, at the end of the day, they save more lives than they let die. :nod:

Unless it's a very bad hospital. >.>
Definition of a very bad hospital? :lol:

Or were you just adding some dramatic effect onto this? xD
Oh no, I've heard pretty bad reports on the radio and such. :O

A bad hospital would be one that had more deaths than lives saved, I suppose?

Also, not treating the people suffering soon enough. Like there were some that just left a pregnant woman on the side, or whatever, because there were no beds/room available and she and her child died. :hmm:

But I may have remembered it wrongly. Either way, the least a doctor can do is see you, you know?
Really? Omg that's terrible. :/ The poor lady. Like they could've even just made it a tub delivery and wrapped her and her baby with an extra clean cloth afterwards and let her stay somewhere in the building corner at the very least!

And yes, that's the most important thing I think so too.
(1 Reply)
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My doctor's okay... Though he's super old :nod:
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I hardly ever go to a doctor.
I'm scared I'll have to do something that I am terrified of, like having a blood sample taken (I freak out when there's a needle to be put into me, and I know lots of people say that, but with me it is actually true. I think I've got a childhood trauma) or taking my clothes off for a physical.
I just tend to lie down and wait it out. :/
So eh well, I don't quite know.
Have you ever looked up White Coat Syndrome? You seem to have many of its traits, not that I'm implying anything, but what you're describing is actually very normal and due to the lack of care from the health care system in these aspects.
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Surprisingly I haven't.
Suppose that is because I've always thought the explanations for my behaviour/fears reasonable enough not to look for anything behind it:
- I don't like going to the doctor because I either inherited the not-liking-to-go-to-the-doctor gene from my mom, or was taught by her (fear) that it's something that sort of a last-resort. And well, there is no use running of to a doctor every time you get a cold.
- I figured I have an extraordinary fear for needles because I had a really bad experience with it as a kid: I had been sick a lot and they weren't really sure what was wrong so I needed to have blood taken. Normally they would take it from your arm, but my arm was too thin for that (or something) so they took it from my hand. They either had to take 3 or 5 (don't remember for sure) and I was completely hysteric (probably from the pain) and they had to hold me down with two people (or so I was told). When it was about halfway done the nurse quit because she felt it would be immoral to go on.
Ever since then it's been problematic to get me to have injections... And it didn't help much that I felt I was lied to by the people administring it. I think I might have a lower than usual tolerance for pain and so everytime they said 'you barely feel it/it won't hurt at all/it will only hurt a little' it did hurt me quite a bit and I came to lose trust in them.

But thank you for bringing it up. I think the idea will now cook in my head and I do think I will look into it at some point... And that might help me to get things worked out before I get a serious illness someday and make it worse by not going to the doctor because of stupid reasons. :P
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I know how that is. :no: But I go to a homeopathic physician/doctor, and I usually get very good treatment with natural medicine from natural plant ingredients (if I ever need any).
I'm actually intrigued by the traditional form of medicine. Has it helped a lot so far or did you find any areas that would require modern medicine to intervene and solve? c:
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So far, all the remedies that he's had me use have worked really well! Not a single side affect either! The only time I use modern medicine is when I have a headache XD
:iconder-freishutz:
der-freishutz Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
id rather have a modern day doctor then a 16th century italian one, or even a 14th centuray arabic one, who were by all standards exellent. I really dont know what you are getting at when you say "Doctors are not what they used to be" When that area of science has exelled so much.
I meant comparing to today's standards. Back then there were standards and almost all the doctors met with it, today we have different standards and it seems a higher percentage of doctors are lacking it although medicine itself has improved.
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:shrug: There are good ones and there are bad ones. Over all medicine today is far improved. It's always nice when you can find a really good doctor though. I remember when I was little my pediatrician was a really nice old man. He went to the same church as me and was always calm and would talk to me and explain things to me, like why I needed a shot or why he needed to listen to my chest. I wish I could still go to him but I'm a bit old for that and he's retired now.
Aww, that's really nice to hear c:
And medicine itself might have improved, but i think it depends as much on who is facilitating it y'know?
:iconpokey-bunny:
Pokey-Bunny Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
True, I've had pretty good luck with doctors so far in my life. Which is very good because otherwise I might be dead by now. :dummy:
Add a Comment: