Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 103

It maybe not your Culture, but try to respect it :)

:iconcliffto:
Cliffto Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Some days ago I found this art about Mayan doomsday (I'm not going to tell who is the user). He combined Mayan and Bali's Barong. I was being nice at first with telling him, next time before he copy paste-ing out Bali culture he should know where to locate out culture, but he replied me with ignorant reply and didn't care. He uses "barong" which is a sacred god in bali culture (I'm not from bali but i respect their tradition and culture), Barong is a symbol of Justice, freedom, and kindess, and he uses this on Mayan doomsday, chained the barong ears with iron chain, and place upon him above the skull. I will be fine if he has great explanation of his concept, but he does not explain anything and directly says that he doesn't care about my culture. this is what makes me kinda mad, Barong is a sacred god for Bali people and he treats him as nothing. As the 'doomsday' title may lead people to misunderstanding about Barong. Yet he blocked me and hide my comments.

sorry for grammar mistakes, I don't speak english everyday :)

I was just writing this to complain of what I feel and has no INTENTIONAL purpose to make someone's account being attacked (as I said earlier I'm not telling his username).

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconagamarlon:
agamarlon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student
Barong is not a god, dude. It's a mythical creature, like a good chimera or something. fyi...
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ignore it mate. There are plenty of idiots out there.
Cliffto Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
yeah, thank you dude for the concern :D
Also, never post things like that on the complaint forum. I guess you have an idea of what it is really about.
So sorry, but if you have to recommend, where should I post this? :) I'll be more careful next time.
See mate, others are not obligated to respect what you respect or even share your opinion. You could tell them politely but that is the most you can do. Since this the big chink in your armour (argument) hence people will be trolling you if not calling you stupid or something of that nature.
Ah i see that bro, troll will always troll. Lucky we still have some people like you in this world. At least i was just try to be polite in replying and trying not to fall into the hole of hate cause of trolls. :D
Well, now you know.
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's fine to respect a culture, but that shouldn't lead to censorship.

What I mean is, there will be people with opposing views on everything, people wanting to express things (and people just getting stiff messed up), and we can't demand they be silent, simply because we don't agree.

You came in there, lecturing and telling him what he could and couldn't put in his art.
I would have probably argued with you over pm, because I wouldn't want your censorship plastered all over my picture comments either.
I didn't ask him what to do of his art, I was just come there to say it was a good art and tell him a little bit about Barong. All he said was he doesn't care, and for Bali people Barong is sacred.
Svataben Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
He is allowed to not care and not want to be lectured by you.
Yet, i think it's basic human instinct to defend of what they have.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Do you think it's basic human nature to defend Bali culture?
No i said, "it's human basic instinct to defend what they have" And Bali culture is what our people have.
Wait what? You just said:
"Bali culture is what our people have."

Yet, in your OP you said:
"(I'm not from bali but i respect their tradition and culture)"

Seems to me like you can't handle the truth.
I'm not from bali but bali is part of Indonesia, and indonesia has 33 provinces (approximately 17.000 islands) which every place has their own cultures. i am not from bali but Bali people is Indonesian People too, I'm from Java and I'm Indonesian too. So we are all still Indonesian although we are not in the same region. That is why our slogan is "Bhineka Tunggal Ika" (different but One).
(1 Reply)
:iconsmoppet:
Smoppet Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Whatever.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
:shrug:
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Yeah poor you.

:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student General Artist
MEEP! :dummy:
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Meep Meep
:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
*GASP* a club member! :eager:
:iconcatapultedcarcass:
CatapultedCarcass Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Nothing is sacred, and nobody is obliged to respect anything else.
:iconwandereranon:
WandererAnon Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
This is what you get when you argue with New-Aging Hipsterfags. Frustration from ignorance. This is what I'd get when I'm around Wiccans and Neo-pagans, ignorance about how different those cultures are from each other, and of the mythologies that surrounds them. I hate it of how there are people that will willingly shun away the reality of things and make up their own. It's frustrating to also see idiots trying to cast 'spells' and 'prayers' in hopes of trying to do things that's already well within our own reaches of doing through technology and ingenuity.

It's really kills me sometimes. Did you know that there are people that think that the world is the center of the universe, 6000 years old, and does not acknowledge that the sun is actually a star and that the stars are other suns? Yeah, and on top of that, they all think that since "we can't know everything"- they assume that we know next to nothing right as they assume that they know everything through their religious practices. Retardation.
:iconjoebostonphotography:
JoeBostonPhotography Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Photographer
:iconthisplz:
:iconinspectrhome:
inspectrhome Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
I personally believe that, people wouldn't mind about the art, but the way it replied is what makes him annoyed. but it had rather close the case for now, as I was only want to express what I feel. Some of our people really "radical" about cultural and religion things, so I want to avoid the conflict.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012   Digital Artist
Stop getting worked up about a piece of art someone made, they have every right to make whatever art they want.

If I wanted to fucking make a painting of Adolf Hitler sodomizing Barong with a Jesus Christ dildo, while riding on the backs of a thousand naked black children, the goddamnit I have every right to make it, and who the hell are you to tell me that I'm wrong.

That's part of the beauty of art, you don't have to like it, and I can kind tell you that I don't give a fuck. So stop giving a fuck. No one cares that you got offended by something someone made. We're not here to fucking cater to your candy ass. Deal with it and move the fuck on.
Cliffto Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Then tell me about "hello kitty Maori" case. People were complaining about it. Maybe you don't have culture to respect in your country but we totally trying to keep our culture over here. Like I said I don't mind about the art as it is not meant to make fun of something. I was talking about he towardly saying not care about my culture that he use.

But truly you are misleading the concept freedom of art. I thought we have some rules over here about not taking racial and discrimination issues. If you hate hitler, barong, or Jesus, you can express it in other way other than disrespecting it like that. Art does not have to be beautiful (true) but really if it has to offend people's right in abusive way?
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
I don't care about your culture either, what does it matter to you, it's my opinion.
It matter as nothing to me of you.
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Digital Artist
Then stop bitching asshole.
why you look so pissed? If someone should it should be me.
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Digital Artist
You can see me? Wow you're creepy.
yes I can.
(1 Reply)
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Your 'right' to do something doesn't excuse that fact that it is unethical to do so.
I don't think it's unethical to create potentially offensive art. I think it's more unethical to censor ourselves out fear of offending someone.
Svataben Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree!

This thing where you can't touch something because it's culture and/or religion is ridiculous.
It's not unethical to create offence. It's unethical to desecrate revered cultural items/symbols/etc, just to be '~~~edgy~~~' and '~~~cool~~~~' . It's not okay to fuck with other people's culture for selfish gain.

If there is actually meaning behind what you've done, that's different. But the piece in the OP is hardly an hard hitting, thoughtful piece.
True to a degree, but I feel that if we start drawing lines like that, then there's no real way of knowing where they'll stop. You can understand the potential effect of telling someone they can't make something offensive because they didn't do it the right way.
That's why there is a separation of a 'right' and what is ethical/unethical.

Should people be able to create offensive art for the sake of being ~~edgy~~? yes. Does that right make them any less of a dick? no. :shrug:
Yeah, but nothings wrong with being a dick.
Are you saying you've never been a dick ever.
:iconseerstella:
seerstella Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
itu salahnya. kalo dia nyuekin lo, cepat ato lambat juga pasti ada lagi yang ngomong. kalo banyak yang ngomong kan dia pasti gak bisa nyuekin semuanya. ^^
mana temen gw orang bali pula. :|
Cliffto Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Iya, yang bikin sebelnya dia bilang ga peduli sm kultur kita. gw ga keberatan kalau dia bisa jelasin maksud konspenya, tp di sini dia cm blg gr2 topengnya bagus trs dia jiplak n pake. :s wah, anak da juga yg org Bali?
seerstella Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
harusnya kalo kayak gitu dia riset dulu. ato kalo nggak desain baru aja sekalian. parah.
bukan, si Kadek temen gw yang anak ICI. :D
oh astaga Kadek, hahaha iya, tau dia mah. Iya bener bgt, mana ditaronya di Mayan lg -_- kan beda jauh sm barong.
dia kira nggak ada yang ngerti kali :|
pastinya, selain itu dia ga menghargai seni yg sdh ada :l
:no:
orang kayak gitu mah lama2 juga kena batunya.
Eh btw, kita ga boleh lho ngomong pake bahasa indonesia disini ^^; *jadi gaenak*
Cliffto Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Coba aja cek komen2 lainnya deh, banyak yg ngelantur mengenai nilai seni. Komen aja kl mau, kita bela budaya bangsa.

oh lol forgot that we have to speak English over here. Well, u know what they said, the world's "respecting" aspect keeps getting lower and lower each day. Lucky we still live in a country with high pluralism. Though that some people are radical about religion over here, but i believe we still have better future for "respect".
(1 Reply)
Most of the moderators of the forums can only speak english, so they ask that only english is posted in the forums, so that they can moderate properly :meow:
Add a Comment: